AMD 5950x build for Workstation + Gaming purpose

kameshss

After waiting for a long time, Intel's new release in Intel Xeon W series aren't that promising. Especially on single core performance. I expected that anyway. So I decided to go for a 5950x build for my friend's workstation + gaming build.

Main usage of this build is for 3D DCC apps which heavily uses a Quadro GPU and the VRAM.

My initial spec are:

* AMD Ryzen 5950x

* Asus ROG X570 F Gaming or E Gaming (mostly leaning towards E Gaming because of the small price difference and WiFi+Bluetooth is an added advantage)

* G Skill Trident Z RGB Neo 16GB x 2 at 3600Mhz CL16 or the same spec in Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (both are same price)

* PNY Nvidia RTX A4000 16GB VRAM

* Samsung 980 Pro 500GB SSD for OS

* Samsung 870 evo 2TB for Scratch Drives (haven't decided this yet)

* Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT 360mm Liquid Cooler

* WD Red Plus 4TB x 2

* BenQ 2700U 4K monitor or Asus ProArt Display PA279CV 4k monitor.

Things I could not decide, yet.

* Corsair RM1000x or RM1000i or RM1000 or Antec HCG Extreme 1000w or Silverstone Strider Platinum Series 1000w (SS-ST1000-PTS) <--- Can't decide on which one to go yet. They're all of similar price. 1000w for future proofing 🙂 Is the Silverstone unit good? I can't see this particular unit on our Tier or Whitelist pages though.

* Corsair iCUE 5000x or Corsair Crystal 570x or Lian Li Dynamic O11 Black Tempered <--- Can't decide on which one to go yet. My requirement is a good airflow case with good clearance for 360mm radiator. Should have at least 2 x 3.5" bays. Additional bays are better!

I love more cores. Because some of the applications that my friend uses love more cores. A4000 GPU is a must 🙂

If you are finding better components on the initial specs and it makes sense for the use case, please do let me know.

I get most of these things offline. But for comparison and availability, I use the following websites.

https://www.theitdepot.com/

https://www.primeabgb.com/

https://mdcomputers.in/

Thanks!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

40 minutes ago, kameshss said:

Corsair RM1000x or RM1000i or RM1000 or Antec HCG Extreme 1000w or Silverstone Strider Platinum Series 1000w (SS-ST1000-PTS) <--- Can't decide on which one to go yet. They're all of similar price. 1000w for future proofing 🙂 Is the Silverstone unit good? I can't see this particular unit on our Tier or Whitelist pages though.

I know the Corsair units are very solid and reliable ones. Someone better versed in PSUs than me can probably pick which one is the absolute best, I'm not a power expert or anything.

42 minutes ago, kameshss said:

* Corsair iCUE 5000x or Corsair Crystal 570x or Lian Li Dynamic O11 Black Tempered <--- Can't decide on which one to go yet. My requirement is a good airflow case with good clearance for 360mm radiator. Should have at least 2 x 3.5" bays. Additional bays are better!

If you're going for airflow, I'd probably look at some other cases. The Corsair cases all have glass covering the intakes and exhaust vents, so airflow isn't gonna be great. The Lian Li has the best airflow out of those three, but I personally don't recommend it unless you're trying to do a custom water loop. You might want to look at the Phanteks P500a, the Corsair 5000D rather than the -X variant, or something from Fractal Design's Meshify line.

46 minutes ago, kameshss said:

Asus ROG X570 F Gaming or E Gaming (mostly leaning towards E Gaming because of the small price difference and WiFi+Bluetooth is an added advantage)

You probably don't need this nice of a motherboard. I'm not gonna fault you for getting it, I like the super high end motherboards as well, but you're probably gonna be better off getting a cheaper board like the B550 Tomahawk or if you need the gen4 support the X570 Tuf, and then upgrading your RAM to 64GB. 

15 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I know the Corsair units are very solid and reliable ones. Someone better versed in PSUs than me can probably pick which one is the absolute best, I'm not a power expert or anything.

They are indeed old PSU units but are still respectable I believe. But I just want to make sure not to miss any good ones that are available for cheaper price.

If you're going for airflow, I'd probably look at some other cases. The Corsair cases all have glass covering the intakes and exhaust vents, so airflow isn't gonna be great. The Lian Li has the best airflow out of those three, but I personally don't recommend it unless you're trying to do a custom water loop. You might want to look at the Phanteks P500a, the Corsair 5000D rather than the -X variant, or something from Fractal Design's Meshify line.

Alright, let me check some Phanteks and Fractals' case. I've built couple systems on P400A they were good indeed.

You probably don't need this nice of a motherboard. I'm not gonna fault you for getting it, I like the super high end motherboards as well, but you're probably gonna be better off getting a cheaper board like the B550 Tomahawk or if you need the gen4 support the X570 Tuf, and then upgrading your RAM to 64GB. 

X570 for overclocking and Gen4 PCIe, yes 🙂 I saw some cheaper options. But the price difference are very small between TUF and ROG's. I'll have another look around.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

18 hours ago, kameshss said:

After waiting for a long time, Intel's new release in Intel Xeon W series aren't that promising. Especially on single core performance. I expected that anyway. So I decided to go for a 5950x build for my friend's workstation + gaming build.

Main usage of this build is for 3D DCC apps which heavily uses a Quadro GPU and the VRAM.

My initial spec are:

* AMD Ryzen 5950x

* Asus ROG X570 F Gaming or E Gaming (mostly leaning towards E Gaming because of the small price difference and WiFi+Bluetooth is an added advantage)

* G Skill Trident Z RGB Neo 16GB x 2 at 3600Mhz CL16 or the same spec in Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (both are same price)

* PNY Nvidia RTX A4000 16GB VRAM

* Samsung 980 Pro 500GB SSD for OS

* Samsung 870 evo 2TB for Scratch Drives (haven't decided this yet)

* Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT 360mm Liquid Cooler

* WD Red Plus 4TB x 2

* BenQ 2700U 4K monitor or Asus ProArt Display PA279CV 4k monitor.

Things I could not decide, yet.

* Corsair RM1000x or RM1000i or RM1000 or Antec HCG Extreme 1000w or Silverstone Strider Platinum Series 1000w (SS-ST1000-PTS) <--- Can't decide on which one to go yet. They're all of similar price. 1000w for future proofing 🙂 Is the Silverstone unit good? I can't see this particular unit on our Tier or Whitelist pages though.

I love more cores. Because some of the applications that my friend uses love more cores. A4000 GPU is a must 🙂

If you are finding better components on the initial specs and it makes sense for the use case, please do let me know.

I get most of these things offline. But for comparison and availability, I use the following websites.

https://www.theitdepot.com/

https://www.primeabgb.com/

https://mdcomputers.in/

Thanks!

Too much overpriced rgb crap, its a workstation so performance+stability <<<<< asthetics

Ditch all the rgb crap and i mean all of it

Board is not neccesary, if you need gen4 ssds then go for a cheap x570 like the x570 tuf gaming or x570 tomahawk

Buy 32-64gb cheapest 3200mhz cl16 kit you can find, 3200mhz cl16 is adequate for ryzen and you wont lose much performance, if you really need rgb then just find the cheapest 3200mhz cl16 rgb kit

You might be able to get some cheaper gen4 nvme ssds like sabrent rocket 4.0

Dont bother with sata ssds they are a waste of money esp on newer platforms

Get a drp4 or nhd15, those will adequately cool a 5950x while keeping your systen quiet, and the only failure point is the fans which you can easily replace, wheras on aios if the pump dies youll need a new aio which can take awhile to be delivered

Wd has done some shady sht with their red drives so smr instead of cmr which is bad, get different hdds

Not a monitor guy so idk

Psu wise go for an rmx or hxi, abit pricey but corsair does make some pretty good psus

Go for a p400a or if you need the space p500a

With all the money saved maybe get more storage or upgrade the gpu