Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Build advice and checks for compatibility

Budget (including currency): RM3,000 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Dual Monitor 1080 setup, Word Processing, Adobe Acrobat, Netflix and Very light gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have an old GeForce 760 which will be used in the build and is excluded from costs consideration.

WiFi+BT is definitely a must

Upgrading from a 7 year old MacBook Air.

Refresh rate preferred at 144Hz for work at 1080 resolution. I mainly play light turn based games and do not mind fps below 60.

My current build is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RhyB2V and case recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

NOTE: RAM i am incorporating is a Kingston FURY Beast DDR4 2666 Mhz 8GB which i am unable to find on pcpartpicker and therefore have listed the closest match i could find there.

The price breakdowns are

CPU : RM554.00

GPU : excluded

RAM : RM159.00 (8GB x 2 DDR4)

Motherboard : RM689.00

M.2 SSD (500GB) : RM331.00 

PSU : RM338.00

Remaining budget : RM770 (require case + margin for parts suggestions)

EDIT 1: Monitors are also excluded from the budget.

Just now, Nalina Artigala said:

What kind of games do you play?

Mainly DOTA 2 and nintendo emulator games. 

Just now, AlphaTwo1169 said:

Mainly DOTA 2 and nintendo emulator games. 

Then that system will most likely work fine for you
Just make sure your PSU is decent so you don't damage your parts! ♥

The Big UwU - Wise Words
1. PSU Wattage =/= PSU Quality
80+ Certification doesn't mean shit.
2. Don't cheap out on the heart of your system.

"B-b-but it was 20$ @ 800w, it was a steal!!" - An idiot with a dead PC.
3. Do not buy for brand, buy for the product.

Every company makes their fair line of garbage.

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

1 minute ago, Jorban said:

Then that system will most likely work fine for you
Just make sure your PSU is decent so you don't damage your parts! ♥

PSU im looking at is a Super Flower LEADEX III Super Bronze Pro 550W. Cross checked it on PSU tier list by tomshardware and its a low priority tier B unit. 

Link Article - [psucultists] PSU tier list rev. 14.8 (12/07/2021) | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

1 minute ago, AlphaTwo1169 said:

PSU im looking at is a Super Flower LEADEX III Super Bronze Pro 550W. Cross checked it on PSU tier list by tomshardware and its a low priority tier B unit. 

Link Article - [psucultists] PSU tier list rev. 14.8 (12/07/2021) | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Then you should be good!

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

2 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

How about getting a 250GB ssd and a 1TB HDD?

Thank you for your advice will have a think about it. 

EDIT 1: I do currently have an Amazon Echo which i use as a primary BT speaker however when in calls for work e.g. zoom, etc i will use heaphones

Edited by AlphaTwo1169
joint reply.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YMb6kX

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($99.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Adorama) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($73.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: Corsair CV 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse  ($24.99 @ Best Buy) 
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0 nW 2.0 Channel Speakers  ($24.99 @ Best Buy) 
Webcam: Adesso Cybertrack H4 Webcam  ($34.25 @ Amazon) 
Total: $680.15

I made this quotation for your build (The Price may differ because I use USD by converting RM to USD)

You can use a i5-10400F processor but it was out of stock (And it will go over your budget like RM60-70 and if you're using this motherboard you don't need a separate wi-fi adapter.

14 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Adorama) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($73.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CV 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse  ($24.99 @ Best Buy) 

I made this quotation for your build (The Price may differ because I use USD by converting RM to USD)

You can use a i5-10400F processor but it was out of stock (And it will go over your budget like RM60-70 and if you're using this motherboard you don't need a separate wi-fi adapter.

Thank you very much Nalina

6 hours ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Corsair LPX is known for not reaching it's rated speeds, you'd be better off going with something else.
The power supply you selected is also a D tier on the Cultists' PSU Tier list. https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/image.png.52efed29cf84f72d2b20859ebb8113d6.png
You can also get something that's more budget friendly in terms of case, such as the Phanteks P300a Mesh
As well as that motherboard is super expensive for the processor that is going into it..

Maybe something like this would be prefered instead?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($99.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory  ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Kingston A2000 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Super Pro 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $554.92

and that still gives you an upgrade path if you wanted to upgrade to the 10400F later down the line.
The motherboard is more than plenty to do so, and the cooler should keep up!

Edit: I forgot a WiFi 6+BLE adapter, but you can pick them up easily for about 30USD
Intel makes a solid one, and there are ones based off of the WiFi 6 Protocol such as so: https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Bluetooth-3000Mbps-802-11AX-Wireless/dp/B082F5D4SM/

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

32 minutes ago, Jorban said:

Corsair LPX is known for not reaching it's rated speeds,

Is that so? but it will be ok because in intel we can only get up to 2666Mhz so there's no worries on it.

34 minutes ago, Jorban said:

The power supply you selected is also a D tier on the Cultists' PSU Tier list. https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I can see that but there isn't any problem in the power supply. I also use this power supply in my i5-10400F machine.

38 minutes ago, Jorban said:

You can also get something that's more budget friendly in terms of case, such as the Phanteks P300a Mesh

Yes, I also found some budget friendly cases with different kinds of brands but I didn't recommend some cases because I clearly don't know whether the case is good or not and the built quality of the case. 

42 minutes ago, Jorban said:

As well as that motherboard is super expensive for the processor that is going into it..

Yes, its expensive but I don't recommend going for a micro-ATX motherboard 

47 minutes ago, Jorban said:

Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Don't go for this motherboard because according to the reviews the M.2 slot with the heat spreader doesn't work on intel 10th gen processors

48 minutes ago, Jorban said:

CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon)

I don't think you'll need a separate cooler because in my 10400F machine also I use the stock cooler and it work fine (If you want you can go for one)

50 minutes ago, Jorban said:

You can find a good RAM kit below this price in brands like Corsair, Crucial or G-skill

53 minutes ago, Jorban said:

This SSD is not good (according to the reviews) and I think you need to go for Crucial P2 500 GB and it has good reviews.

And for the HDD I don't know whether you need to go for Seagate or WD but both are same when it come to the price (and also you decide whether you need to buy a 1 or 2 TB HDD)

58 minutes ago, Jorban said:

I don't about this PSU brand but you can get a better one below this price

59 minutes ago, Jorban said:

Edit: I forgot a WiFi 6+BLE adapter, but you can pick them up easily for about 30USD

I also forgot something about the wi-fi adapter if you're going to buy the motherboard in my quotation pls don't buy a separate Wi-Fi adapter because it comes with a Wi-fi adapter.

I also recommend going for i5-10400F processor if it fits your budget

2 hours ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Don't go for this motherboard because according to the reviews the M.2 slot with the heat spreader doesn't work on intel 10th gen processors

Honestly, if this is your reason, your recommended motherboard also does the same, doesn't it?

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b560-a-gaming-wifi-model/spec
"- Only Intel® 11th processors support PCIe 4.0 x4 mode, this slot will be disabled for other CPUs."

And i think many other b560 won't do that, so the Pro4 isn't really at fault here.

Well, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by BejoBarokah

Is that so? but it will be ok because in intel we can only get up to 2666Mhz so there's no worries on it.

B560 supports xmp

I can see that but there isn't any problem in the power supply. I also use this power supply in my i5-10400F machine.

that doesn't mean that it's not a awful unit.
any upgrade paths are going to give that thing a hard time and it's highly recommended to avoid shotty power supplies for new purchases.

Yes, I also found some budget friendly cases with different kinds of brands but I didn't recommend some cases because I clearly don't know whether the case is good or not and the built quality of the case. 

phanteks p300a mesh is good
good cheap option, want to save more go for the non mesh option and then ride out the thermals

I don't think you'll need a separate cooler because in my 10400F machine also I use the stock cooler and it work fine (If you want you can go for one)

recomended it due to my case selection

You can find a good RAM kit below this price in brands like Corsair, Crucial or G-skill

they already have the memory set on hand
corsair is not a good recommendation as they make tons of memory sets that do not reach their advertised speeds.

This SSD is not good (according to the reviews) and I think you need to go for Crucial P2 500 GB and it has good reviews.

And for the HDD I don't know whether you need to go for Seagate or WD but both are same when it come to the price (and also you decide whether you need to buy a 1 or 2 TB HDD)

https://github.com/windshields/stoRAGE-SSD-buying-guide

i run this board for 3 different clients
supports xmp and overclocks the 10700k fairly well
it's plenty enough.
the case i recommended is mid tower, but it's cramped so micro works good in this case

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)