Critical Issue with Internal USB Devices

rarifiedbovine

I'm having a heck of a time here--never had this issue with previous systems.

I just booted up a new machine with my Aquacomputer D5 Next, Farbwerk, and Aquaero 6 all connected to a Hubby7 over USB, and the Hubby7 connected to an internal USB header on my MSI X570 Godlike. Hubby7 did not have SATA power but all devices are powered individually. All individual devices are working--pump is pumping and lit, Aquaero is on and powering fans, Farbwerk is on and powering lights. Hubby7 jumper was on USB (but have also tried on SATA of course). OS is Windows 11. 

As soon as I plugged it in, the OS told me that the port was experiencing a power surge and the port even started smoking a bit.

I unplugged and have since tried all kinds of different ways to connect the various devices to my motherboard but. While I can reproduce the power surge issue, the only other outcome I get is that the USB devices are not recognized when I plug them in. Instead, they show up as an undefined USB resource ("Device Descriptor Request Failed" in device manager! 

I have tried:
  • Powering the Hubby7 in both jumper positions and plugging it into both USB 2.0 internal header (causes power surge and smoking) and USB 3.0 internal header with adapter (devices not recognized by windows)
  • Using a powered NZXT internal USB hub, both 2.0 and 3.0 header (via adapter). None of the devices are recognized.
  • Using an unpowered USB internal splitter, both 2.0 and 3.0 header (via adapter). None of the devices are recognized.
Any ideas?