is your job or planned job have anything to do with tech?

adarw

does your job have anything to do with tech?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. does your job have anything to do with tech?

• yep
    • nope
    • idk

comment down below if you want to share what you do or want to do!

(im asking this to see options for what i can do in the future)

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Tech per se - no. But I do work off a computer. I work for central operations for Amazon - so I spend all my time on a computer using various programs and whatnot, but I dont need to know tech specs for anything, or programming. but there is a lot of demand for program managers and people with experience in programming. I make great money, and I have 4 days a week off so I cant complain at all. Plus all the free things I get for affiliates of amazon like I got some steel toe carbon fiber work boots from Zappos that were like $214 - but with my amazon voucher, and my zappos VIP thing, I only paid $2.38 for em. Benefits are also WAY good. I got the aetna mid-grade plan and it covers a TON of stuff and its a little under 200/mo. My vision and dental for my whole family of 5 is less than $20/mo - but we have VSP Plus which covers a TON - 2 pairs of glasses or 1yr of contacts and its only $10 including eye exam, etc. I have better benefits than hospital employees have lol 

Whatever field you go into - make sure the pay is good, but the benefits better. If I had to pay all my medical stuff out of pocket I would be SCREWED. Contacts for my other half without my insurance is like $280 for 6 months worth. My glasses were $268 and I paid $10 for em,  and my prescription raybans were also $10 lol so I cant complain. 

Im a disgruntled old man. 

11400F/4070 32gb ram, 1000w PSU, X63 AIO, windows 10, B560 mobo

I was planning on maybe getting a job at a local bike shop after this coming winter. HVAC might be long term, since I've done HVAC work with my dad and it's a lot of fun.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Architectural building modelling and CAD work, so I use computers all day. I'm also the office computer tech and IT guy.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Depends what you consider a tech job. I’m an operations supervisor for DHL, I tell forklift operators what to do and keep in contact with suppliers, plants and carriers.

But I also maintain and repair a lot of redprarie/blueyonder dock and equipment management software.

I'm thinking about studying programming or cuisine

Basically I'm between a programmer and/or chef

12 hours ago, comander said:

I move a bunch of data from one set of computers to another. Sometimes I change it's form. Other times I analyze it or aggregate it. 

Pretty similar to what I do, basically doing excel spreadsheets at scale in a distributed manner (data engineer btw)

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 9/26/2021 at 1:27 AM, adarw said:

comment down below if you want to share what you do

I'm a teapot

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

My job is telling the computers what to do and sometimes they listen. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

17 hours ago, wasab said:

My computer always listens but I tend to tell it to do the wrong thing

This is a signature.

20 hours ago, wasab said:

My job is telling the computers and boomers what to do and sometimes they listen. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

36 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

My job is telling the computers and boomers what to do and sometimes they listen. 

Boomers never listen 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

My job is prototyping of embedded systems. From schematics (layouting is outsourced), bring-up of embedded linux (mostly yocto), programming of linux drivers and prototype-esque user-space programs for feasability studies. That contains sometimes 3D with C++/Vulkan and sometimes some machine learning with Python/Tensorflow or some simple webserver-stuff for data visualization.

Prototyping is fun - follow the 20/80-Principle. No need in high reliability, no need in extreme optimization (unless the project says so), always different and exciting new stuff. With each project you learn a ton of new tools and frameworks.

Pro: You become a jack of all trades.
Con: I do not master anything and write ugly code (some C-Style C++ for example)

started out as company it departement tech support and sys admin, went sys admin, sys architekt, currently head of IT at a small business. Thinking about quitting and going to a lower rank job for better benefits and less stress.

What did the job include until now... building computers, setting up computers, servers, windows and linux, network lan/wan/firewalling, planning IT infrastructures, building them, maintaining them, writing documentations, modernizing whole standing IT infrastructures migrating from old to new (if possible without any downtime), developing IT standards for companies, and much much more... 

Cheers

Ang

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Yes. Since I was about 7 years old that I want to became an Software Engineer or study CC. Now I’m 14 and I’m studying Python by reading a book, and cybersecurity just for fun bcs hacking is kinda neat and learning never occupy space in your head.

System administrator for a large training establishment. Managing about 1000 devices with servers split between 3 building to ensure high availability. Been doing this now for 11 years, previously was a support tech for abit motherboards which is completely different but I love to adapt and learn new skills. 

3 hours ago, abit-sean said:

System administrator for a large training establishment. Managing about 1000 devices with servers split between 3 building to ensure high availability. Been doing this now for 11 years, previously was a support tech for abit motherboards which is completely different but I love to adapt and learn new skills. 

Thank you for the FP IN9 - SLI Bios updates on the Hexus forums in the old days ^^

Still got one of those here

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

4 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Thank you for the FP IN9 - SLI Bios updates on the Hexus forums in the old days ^^

Still got one of those here

Providing support on the forums was easily the best part of my old job. I was always getting in trouble from the wife for still being online in the evening or during my holidays, I even carried on for a while after I left when abit closed down.

"Tech" is broad, but I would say so. I am an automotive technician for Honda. All Honda's service info is browser based. Their diagnostic tool is software on your laptop. If you aren't good with computers and electronics you will struggle in this trade now days.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra