Recommendations on hard tubing size

Hi everyone!

So I did my first attempt at hard tubing today, and as you can se from the pictures, yeah, I need more practice! It's OK, but my lengths and curves aren't really that great.

snow_hard_tube.jpg.d414685f0e68141efc096d8437127650.jpg

I'm using 14mm PETG and visually, I want something fatter. What size would you go with for this setup?

Thanks!

zog

BTW, for all of you that can do bends just looking at the tubing, I really hate you! 😉

I'd probably stick with the 14mm tubing, since to change it you'd have to buy whole new fittings, and you'd probably spend another $100-200+ on 16mm fittings that wouldn't help that much in making it look nicer.

The bends themselves look pretty good from what I can tell in the photos. You just need to get better at measuring the right sizes.

Hey @RONOTHAN##

Actually, I'm using "No Name" fittings from China. They run about $40 USD for 8 fittings. I started using them after watching Steve over at GamersNexus doing a tour of production factories in China. It seems that there are only 2 companies that make PC water cooling fittings. I've used both compression fittings for soft tubing and the 14mm hard tubing fittings that I'm using right now. The only "complaint" that I have is that the paint will rub off if you handle them to much.

would be enough for my loop, so I'm going to have to think about this some more. I'm going to complete the mods to my system that I currently have planed and see how it looks. Right now, visually, I want the fatter tubes, but once I get things worked out, maybe I'll stick with the 14mm.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

zog

On 9/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, zogthegreat said:

[...} It's OK, but my lengths and curves aren't really that great.

[...]

I'm using 14mm PETG and visually, I want something fatter. What size would you go with for this setup?

Well, fatter tubes means wider radiuses. If you already have issues making your tighter bends work then don't go bigger. If you have more room, then go 16mm. Bigger isn't really common.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I think 14 is the right size for that case. My personal view is that a larger reservoir centrally mounted would give the impression of less dead space, but I don't think a tubing change would make much difference.

16 only really looks right to me in very big cases, and even then only when they're a little more sparsely populated. I'm doing 16 in my O11D XL but if I had, say, SLI GPUs I probably would have kept to 14. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop