AUO, a Taiwan company, is developing amazing eco-friendly Ink Jet printing AMOLED displays, Rollable displays, In-cell Touch Notebook Display and more

Summary

AUO, a Taiwan company, is developing next gen displays. 

- 32" Ink Jet printing AMOLED Displays, 4k UHD, 144Hz, Rich color saturation, for both gamers and profesionals:

ss1.thumb.png.da707ce9f14a4e68ada695189aca5414.png

- 5.6" Rollable Dual-Sided Amoled displays for smatrphones:

ss2.thumb.png.d5530a5b86856c60f324c6546d2808bf.png

- 32" 8k LTPS (Low Temperature Poly-Silicon) Eye Care Professional Monitor Displays:

ss3.thumb.png.dfe9f12ca0789e0b46b39892c283b1ca.png

- 15.6" Eye Care In-cell Touch Notebook Displays which support both finger and stylus pen touch for drawing and paiting:

ss4.thumb.png.89e6916d64ec6d434aa37eb92135a793.png

- TVs, Automotive Displays, and much more, check the links below.

Quotes

Open Up New Perspective with Premium Technology Innovation

AUO participates in the online exhibition of 2021 Display Week hosted by SID and shows diversified applications of high-end display technologies including micro LED, cutting-edge sensing technology, and A.R.T. (Advanced Reflectionless Technology), reiterating how displays can be applied in the post-epidemic era and become the best helper for smoother humans-machines communications to realize once unimaginable needs.

My thoughts

I just discovered this today, searching and wondering why there are no OLED PC Monitors in the market yet, and remained mindblowned by what I discovered. So, I had to share it with you. I know Linus is passionate about displays too, so I hope he will really like it.

Sources

https://youtu.be/hes4wiVVENY

https://youtu.be/h3MRH2L86E4

and more can be found here: SID Virtual Display Week 2021

very much comes to the cons.

and very likely not to have high brightness, but maybe good enough brightness?

Were the size will be lesser of a thing, when you are still going to need other things for it.

but it seems like the size or optimization to this display makes so it could maybe run for longer and with less heat?

if they can make OLED to become CHEAPER that would be very great and replacing for burned in OLED displays. Burned or stuck OLED pixels are most of the worry for PC or always on displays. LG's second version of OLED like their 2.0 version, that has backlit lights that reduce the brightness/heat for the OLED and increase overall brightness.

also linus have talked before about the see through TV demo and rolling up TV's. not sure if this has been pointed out. but kind of expected of OLED to be able to become very thin, it seems they do mention its as capable as "normal" OLED?

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

developing?

bet they don't even have a working prototype right now, 100% likely it's more in the concept stage where the data says it might be possible. it'll probably enter the market in 15 years and be 10K for an 8k tv when tv's probably have 16k as standard by then and would look better then this thing.

saying you are developing something ≠ usable product
anyone remember the macphone?

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

8 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

starts electrifying colors into our eyes and nukes ourselves with radiation

5 hours ago, TrigrH said:

developing?

Changed, thank you.

4 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

bet they don't even have a working prototype right now

I don't know about that, but it is exactly what I am looking for. They seems to be producing Mini LED monitors already tho: 【SID Display Week 2021】AUO Gaming Display Series and they look Alienware like.

ss1.png.d8984510dddfe1397f81fbc4bdc48d9f.png

ss2.png.80f52421377b23238b3d95b0473d66c3.png

ss3.png.4210a4e435fc3067977fcc4c941946e3.png

I'm starting to get really fed up with all the "eco friendly" random marketing going around. Sometimes it makes sense, (the recent steel one where they radically altered the process side of things to eliminate and recyle wastes for example), but most of the time it's just marketing fluff. Unless your sourcing only renewable sources of energy input for your manufacturing and recycle your waste products with the same energy input provision your not "eco-friendly" the way the marketing likes to put it forward.

Came here expecting to see monitors that doubled as printers. Left disappointed.

Really, though, I know you were just copying what the company put in their ad, but it should be ink jet printed AMOLED displays; these displays are not printing anything.

I'm really hoping that all these advances in display technology mean we're going to see significantly more powerful GPUs just around the corner. 4k 144hz being plausible in most titles would be a real treat.

8 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

bet they don't even have a working prototype right now, 100% likely it's more in the concept stage where the data says it might be possible. it'll probably enter the market in 15 years and be 10K for an 8k tv when tv's probably have 16k as standard by then and would look better then this thing.

AU Optronics is one of the larger display manufacturers. These are very likely real, and are by no means that far out.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 9/26/2021 at 3:57 AM, Quackers101 said:

very much comes to the cons.

and very likely not to have high brightness, but maybe good enough brightness?

Tbh about 150nits sutained is enough for any non-HDR display imo. For SDR i always keep ending up at that brightness level. Not too dim, not too bright. And if they can get the peak brightness to about 600-700 nits for HDR then i will be more than happy.

Were the size will be lesser of a thing, when you are still going to need other things for it.

I don't really get what you're trying to say here.

if they can make OLED to become CHEAPER that would be very great and replacing for burned in OLED displays. Burned or stuck OLED pixels are most of the worry for PC or always on displays.

I don't have any statistics to back that claim up but it seems like AMOLED has significantly higher burn-in resistance. Most phones use AMOLED displays nowadays and i've never seen one with burn-in in person, nor did i ever hear a compaint about that in the internet.

LG's second version of OLED like their 2.0 version, that has backlit lights that reduce the brightness/heat for the OLED and increase overall brightness.

OLED doesn't have a backlight, that's the WHOLE point. If you introduce a backlight to OLED, you take away the biggest advantage the tech has over other alternatives: True black.

On 9/26/2021 at 4:16 AM, Salv8 (sam) said:

Man i really hope this becomes real. The 32" 4K one would be an instant buy for ne if it gets implemented with a high refresh rate.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

OLED doesn't have a backlight, that's the WHOLE point. If you introduce a backlight to OLED, you take away the biggest advantage the tech has over other alternatives: True black

forgot what it was, but its to reduce burn in and I guess they used something else.

LG has updated the technology with a new luminous element that boosts the overall brightness

LTT video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5xqAZn2rX0

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

forgot what it was, but its to reduce burn in and I guess they used something else.

LTT video.

OLED's also have a stupidly short life. In a cell phone that might be passable, but as a TV or a Monitor, they're awful. Super awful. But let's be real...

Most monitors are awful if you keep the same image on them. Go look at the LCD panels you see in banks, transit, airports, and fast food restaurants. The persistent image makes them completely ruined after several months.

The way you get more life out of OLED is what "dark mode" is all about. Dark mode reduces the energy use as well (which benefits phones) but TV's in living rooms can also benefit as long as the TV channels you watch don't have persistent objects (such as news channels.)

But ultimately I don't think OLED belongs in TV's or Monitors. There has to be a completely re-think in how UI's are designed so they no longer have persistent placement.

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

LTT video.

LG's 2nd Gen (Evo) panel only is slightly more energy efficient, reducing heat output, thus reducing burn-in risk.

If you're talking about the 4th white subpixel that is next to the standard red, green and blue one: These have been there for a few generations now and are there to increase peak brightness.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

27 minutes ago, Kisai said:

OLED's also have a stupidly short life. In a cell phone that might be passable, but as a TV or a Monitor, they're awful. Super awful. But let's be real...

Most monitors are awful if you keep the same image on them. Go look at the LCD panels you see in banks, transit, airports, and fast food restaurants. The persistent image makes them completely ruined after several months.

The way you get more life out of OLED is what "dark mode" is all about. Dark mode reduces the energy use as well (which benefits phones) but TV's in living rooms can also benefit as long as the TV channels you watch don't have persistent objects (such as news channels.)

But ultimately I don't think OLED belongs in TV's or Monitors. There has to be a completely re-think in how UI's are designed so they no longer have persistent placement.

My C9 OLED has absolutely no signs of burn-in, even after almost 2 years of use as a TV and PC monitor. OLED has come a long way when it comes to burn in prevention, especially the last few generations of TVs. But some people still take the risk of burn-in way out of proportion. If your content somehow varies and you don't just watch the same news channel or sports channel the whole day, then there is next to no risk of experiencing burn-in.

And Linus talking about his 48" work "monitor" having burn in is just one example of a worst-case scenario for an OLED display with multiple static images that are there the whole day.

OLED TV's are just like EV's in some ways: It isn't for everyone and it doesn't have to be. There are alternatives if it doesn't work for you. But if it works with your usecase, it's simply amazing.

Isn't all of those news old? Like a few months or more?

And I had JOLED monitors before and returned them because they have no flickerfree technology. JOLED are still very early and you're paying huge prices for that. To anyone wanting a JOLED monitor: don't bother. They are so sensitive and the first monitor, a blue smearing started to develope when there is white, like a snowy wallpaper on the 2nd day.

LG is lightyears in their tech and they are also more affordable than high-end LCD TVs shit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Is it cheap though?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 9/26/2021 at 5:35 AM, dizmo said:

but it should be ink jet printed AMOLED displays; these displays are not printing anything.

I don't understand the combination of words here... like I know each one, but not them put together in that order....what is a ink jet printed/printing monitor?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

1 hour ago, Video Beagle said:

I don't understand the combination of words here... like I know each one, but not them put together in that order....what is a ink jet printed/printing monitor?

Inkjet printing, it's different from LG's WRGB OLED while inkjet OLED only contains RGB. According to the stories, JOLED should be cheaper in production and yet, JOLED monitors did cost $5000 at launch and that's only for 21.6" like Asus PQ22UC and Eizo Foris Nova. The announcement started since like 2017 and 2019 had the first JOLED monitor and that was the PQ22UC. One year later, Eizo Foris Nova and this year, LG UltraFine 32EP950, the first 32". It does cost almost $3500 in some countries but here it's €3600. I wouldn't buy any of the JOLED as you're a early-adopter and they don't have flicker-free tech.

So, I would rather wait for 42" WRGB from LG than from inkjet printed shit. All of the news about ink OLED, JOLED and so on, are old news. LG is (literally) lightyears ahead. It will be very hard for them to competite against LG at pricepoints.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

well, that didn't answer...well anything about my question.. but some googling turned up

https://www.radiantvisionsystems.com/blog/inkjet-printing-answer-oled-production-challenges

fascinating

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎