Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Power failure when gaming (new PC)

Go to solution Solved by Latvian Video,
6 minutes ago, Jakey-B said:

Hi All,

Just got a new PC, all parts brand new, but when i play games my PC has a power failure and powers off, then restarts.

All temperatures are normal (CPU around 50c, and GPU around 70c max load). Stress testing the psu and cpu using tools did not seem to cause the issue.

I have an old graphics card i tested with for 10 minutes and it did not seem to cause the issue, but it is very old and does not draw much power, nor can it even load games like metro exodus which have been causing the issue almost immediately.

I am unsure where the issue is, I believe this to be a fault with the PSU as it is usually the most likely cause with power issues but i am unsure, i am awaiting a replacement next week as i do not have a spare to test this. I will ask to have the graphics card replaced if the new PSU does not resolve the issue.

Any knows issues with the parts i have picked? Any suggestions are welcome.

System Specs:

Windows 10  (64 bit, up to date)

Nvidia 3060ti Zotac Twin edge (drivers up to date)

MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi motherboard

16Gb of Ram (Team Group Delta)

Intel i7 - 11th Gen 11700k @3.6 GHz

850 watt modular Nfortec Sagitta

Likely the PSU, never heard of that brand

UPADATE: Was the PSU, replaced with Corsair RMx and working great now!

Hi All,

Just got a new PC, all parts brand new, but when i play games my PC has a power failure and powers off, then restarts.

All temperatures are normal (CPU around 50c, and GPU around 70c max load). Stress testing the psu and cpu using tools did not seem to cause the issue.

I have an old graphics card i tested with for 10 minutes and it did not seem to cause the issue, but it is very old and does not draw much power, nor can it even load games like metro exodus which have been causing the issue almost immediately.

I am unsure where the issue is, I believe this to be a fault with the PSU as it is usually the most likely cause with power issues but i am unsure, i am awaiting a replacement next week as i do not have a spare to test this. I will ask to have the graphics card replaced if the new PSU does not resolve the issue.

System Specs:

6 minutes ago, Jakey-B said:

Hi All,

System Specs:

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

just looked it up.  Looks like a cheapy

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

A friend recommended it to me, he didn't seem to have any issues with it but i agree with you, i havent heard of it until he suggested it.

Do you agree that the fact an old graphics card not causing the issue might not be relevant to the situation? 

Just now, Jakey-B said:

A friend recommended it to me, he didn't seem to have any issues with it but i agree with you, i havent heard of it until he suggested it.

Do you agree that the fact an old graphics card not causing the issue might not be relevant to the situation? 

What older gpu? Might just be consuming less power/not spiking so high. I'm very certain the psu is just plain crap.

Get a msi mpg 750w, revolution d.f. 750 or rm(x) 750w.

2 minutes ago, Jakey-B said:

It could be relevant, the old graphics card doesnt draw as much power, so there is less load on the PSU, maybe the psu cant handle the 3060ti

2 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

It could be relevant, the old graphics card doesnt draw as much power, so there is less load on the PSU, maybe the psu cant handle the 3060ti

Thanks thats what i was wondering, they are going to replace it for me but maybe i should just ask for a different model altogether just to be safe.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What older gpu? Might just be consuming less power/not spiking so high. I'm very certain the psu is just plain crap.

Get a msi mpg 750w, revolution d.f. 750 or rm(x) 750w.

Ive heard the MSI models are good, i think Ill return it and ask for a different model

Just now, Jakey-B said:

Ive heard the MSI models are good, i think Ill return it and ask for a different model

Yeah, I would get a different PSU from a reputable brand, check the PSU tier list if you want to know if a psu is good or bad 

46 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Yeah, I would get a different PSU from a reputable brand, check the PSU tier list if you want to know if a psu is good or bad 

Thanks for the list, it looks like they can replace it with a Thermaltake modular 750 watt, or a MSI MPG A850GF 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular.

For my setup do I need a 750 or 850 PSU? I doubt I need 1000 watt

2 minutes ago, Jakey-B said:

Thanks for the list, it looks like they can replace it with a Thermaltake modular 750 watt, or a MSI MPG A850GF 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular.

For my setup do I need a 750 or 850 PSU? I doubt I need 1000 watt

You should be fine with 750w or 850w, check how much it can output on the 12v rail

3 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

the GF2 is C tier Recommended for cheap mid/low-end systems. Looks decent to me

Thanks for your help 🙂

I'll see if I can find one of the gold tier on pc-components

*I bought my parts from pc components as I live in Spain*

2 hours ago, Latvian Video said:

the GF2 is C tier Recommended for cheap mid/low-end systems. Looks decent to me

Do you think it'll support the 3060ti? If so I might just get that out of ease