Building a pc off of a console

Michael1432
Go to solution Solved by Michael1432,
Just now, IkeaGnome said:

You have to think of consoles more like laptops. CPU and GPU are soldered on, and in this case, not compatible with AM4 or any other consumer platform.

Screenshot_1-f7d3.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

yeah sm1 told me the same thing thanks for the info

i have an idea for people who want to build a cheap pc but i dont know if it would work , so i want to hear yall thoughts on this. So basically i thought about what if i buy a ps5 or a xbox series x and i remove the cpu (amd zen 2 cpu) and gpu(AMD GPU) and i wipe the drives with the PlayStation OS and i build a pc off of it with windows and all the good stuff. the problem there is motherboard because if i want to install windows i gotta enter the bios which i surely cant on a console motherboard so what if i get a new AMD Motherboard llike a B450 who supports zen 2 cpu's would it be possible to put the ps5 or xbox components into a new motherboard and install windows on a wiped hdd or a new one. then just launch windows and play. Btw this is an idea for people who want to get a pc For modding and RP and the fun features. This is not for people who want a high performance gaming experience (tbh the ps5 and xbox components aint that bad u can expect a fairly good performance out of it but not a high performance one tho) So tell me what you think. if its possible or not. If you think its not possible tell me why and yeah thats what i wanted to ask yall.

That's not how consoles work. The APU (cpu and GPU) is soldered to the motherboard. Consoles are incapable of running Windows. BIOS doesn't support anything other than, as you called it, "playstation OS" or the XBOX OS on a Series console. Storage on the PS5 is soldered and the BIOS and bootloader can't be flashed (easily), neither can the OS. That's not going to work. 

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

That's not how consoles work. The APU (cpu and GPU) is soldered to the motherboard. Consoles are incapable of running Windows. That's not going to work. 

oh damn i didnt i didnt know that

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

That's not how consoles work. The APU (cpu and GPU) is soldered to the motherboard. Consoles are incapable of running Windows. That's not going to work. 

that means you cant remove the cpu off the motherboard right?

Just now, Michael1432 said:

Yes, that's what that means - all components on consoles are soldered (excluding storage expansion for the PS and internal drive AFAIK for the Series)

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Yes, that's what that means - all components on consoles are soldered (excluding storage expansion for the PS and internal drive AFAIK for the Series)

oof i thought you could remove it well thats an L

1 minute ago, Michael1432 said:

No you cant. Not that it matters becuase the cpu is not just a consumer cpu made for any other type of hardware. It would be the same as trying to get your kitchen oven to run windows

Just now, emosun said:

No you cant. Not that it matters becuase the cpu is not just a consumer cpu made for any other type of hardware. It would be the same as trying to get your kitchen oven to run windows

ok i understand now

Sleeper builds in old console housings are a thing. Maybe you'd be interested in that.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Anyway, if consoles weren't locked down systems it would be really cool to have a makeshift console with custom parts and a different OS, also consoles have software limitations aswell as hardware, with the PS3 you could load linux onto it and escape the sandbox, also the "PLAYSTATION OS" is litterally just a linux
distro and some PS's are forks of FREEBSD, also the XBOX can run unsigned code if it is put in developer mode and the code has to be part of the UWP platform

Just now, Michael1432 said:

the only thing i asked was answers nothing else

Just now, Arch User said:

Anyway, if consoles weren't locked down systems it would be really cool to have a makeshift console with custom parts and a different OS, also consoles have software limitations aswell as hardware, with the PS3 you could load linux onto it and escape the sandbox, also the "PLAYSTATION OS" is litterally just a linux
distro and some PS's are forks of FREEBSD, also the XBOX can run unsigned code if it is put in developer mode and the code has to be part of the UWP platform

well thanks that all i wanted to hear man not an argument

26 minutes ago, Michael1432 said:

i have an idea for people who want to build a cheap pc but i dont know if it would work , so i want to hear yall thoughts on this. So basically i thought about what if i buy a ps5 or a xbox series x and i remove the cpu (amd zen 2 cpu) and gpu(AMD GPU) and i wipe the drives with the PlayStation OS and i build a pc off of it with windows and all the good stuff. the problem there is motherboard because if i want to install windows i gotta enter the bios which i surely cant on a console motherboard so what if i get a new AMD Motherboard llike a B450 who supports zen 2 cpu's would it be possible to put the ps5 or xbox components into a new motherboard and install windows on a wiped hdd or a new one. then just launch windows and play. Btw this is an idea for people who want to get a pc For modding and RP and the fun features. This is not for people who want a high performance gaming experience (tbh the ps5 and xbox components aint that bad u can expect a fairly good performance out of it but not a high performance one tho) So tell me what you think. if its possible or not. If you think its not possible tell me why and yeah thats what i wanted to ask yall.

You have to think of consoles more like laptops. CPU and GPU are soldered on, and in this case, not compatible with AM4 or any other consumer platform.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

yeah sm1 told me the same thing thanks for the info