Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bought a GPU (2070 Dual OC 8GB) with Green Artifact and Driver crash under loads such as furmark

TL:DR: Bought a "broken" 2070 that I think I might be able to fix. Not sure for all the potential causes of this described issue though, just want to be reassured on them.

Long version:
Saw a 2070 on eBay for 350€ and after some back and forth decided to buy it. Will arrive inna few days and the reason why it was so cheap was because it is "broken". 

The issue described is Green pixelated artifacting and an eventual driver crash under heavy load such as Furmark or even some intensive games.

I know from my still somewhat limited knowledge and a quick google search that this can be caused by more than just the GPU itself. Cables, PSU, Mainboard, even RAM or CPU and Drivers could potentially be at fault for this.
While I am sure that the reseller tried all those things already, maybe I am lucky with this and they didn't think of everything.

I am planning on simply trying my best to get the GPU to work properly and if it requires underclocking and undervolting, so be it. 

My question now is: Aside from the potential issues I have named, what else would come to mind that would be an issue. I have several PSUs, different setups and even more to play with in an attempt to fix this.

And if I can't, I have the option to return it. Simple as that. Either i get an insanely good deal on a very solid upgrade for my RX 480 or i have to pay shipping and might have wated a few hours.

I can tell you right now that this card is 99% sure cooked and for the bin. You basically got had here.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I can tell you right now that this card is 99% sure cooked and for the bin. You basically got had here.

Probably doomed for the bin. But don't know if he got had. The OP knew what he was buying.

29 minutes ago, Chem1calWaste said:

TL:DR: Bought a "broken" 2070 that I think I might be able to fix. Not sure for all the potential causes of this described issue though, just want to be reassured on them.

Long version:
Saw a 2070 on eBay for 350€ and after some back and forth decided to buy it. Will arrive inna few days and the reason why it was so cheap was because it is "broken". 

The issue described is Green pixelated artifacting and an eventual driver crash under heavy load such as Furmark or even some intensive games.

I know from my still somewhat limited knowledge and a quick google search that this can be caused by more than just the GPU itself. Cables, PSU, Mainboard, even RAM or CPU and Drivers could potentially be at fault for this.
While I am sure that the reseller tried all those things already, maybe I am lucky with this and they didn't think of everything.

I am planning on simply trying my best to get the GPU to work properly and if it requires underclocking and undervolting, so be it. 

My question now is: Aside from the potential issues I have named, what else would come to mind that would be an issue. I have several PSUs, different setups and even more to play with in an attempt to fix this.

And if I can't, I have the option to return it. Simple as that. Either i get an insanely good deal on a very solid upgrade for my RX 480 or i have to pay shipping and might have wated a few hours.

You won't know what you'll be able to do with it till it's in your hands. Undervolting may work maybe baking the card/ heat gunning certain parts. All solutions that might work may only work for a couple days to a years. Once again that's if it works. If you don't have the budget to spend on it as an experiment I wouldn't bother.

41 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah. I thought so aswell. Luckily they had the option to simply issue a return within a 30 day period after purchase. If the card turns out to be fried, i will return it.

32 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Probably doomed for the bin. But don't know if he got had. The OP knew what he was buying.

You won't know what you'll be able to do with it till it's in your hands. Undervolting may work maybe baking the card/ heat gunning certain parts. All solutions that might work may only work for a couple days to a years. Once again that's if it works. If you don't have the budget to spend on it as an experiment I wouldn't bother.

I most certainly know what I am getting my hands on. I will try a variety of solutions and will just hope more than anything else that something will work, cause this would be a bargain for 350

On 9/25/2021 at 6:37 PM, narrdarr said:

Alright, found both the culprit and the solution for this problem.
This Card uses the Micron memory chips, that were notorious for Memory Degredation. Underclocking the Memory by 500 MHz completely fixed the issue and i have a totally fine RTX 2070 for 350 bucks.