New Apple OS Beta Potentially Leaks Upcoming MacBook Pros With 14:9 Display

Lightwreather

Summary

Apple has likely accidentally revealed screen resolutions for its upcoming MacBook Pro notebooks in a beta version of its forthcoming macOS Monterey operating system. If this information is correct, the new 14 and 16-inch display MacBook Pros will have higher resolutions than any current Apple monitors, but perhaps more importantly, they will feature a different aspect ratio.

M1 Macbook pro 13"

Quotes

Apple's macOS Monterey beta 7 lists two retina displays featuring resolutions currently not supported by any of Apple's retina monitors, which potentially means that these resolutions will be featured in the upcoming MacBook Pros expected to be released in October or November, reports MacRumors.

Assuming that the OS does not list resolutions set to be supported in the distant future, the new MacBook Pro 14 will offer a native resolution of 3024 × 1964, whereas the next-generation MacBook Pro 16 will feature a 3456 × 2234 native resolution. Both LCDs will offer a pixel density of 257 pixels per inch (PPI), up from 227 PPI in case of today's MacBook Pros. 

While it is good to see that Apple is probably releasing MacBook Pros with higher native resolutions (keep in mind that Apple ships laptops with their resolutions scaled down by default to make everything look bigger and smoother), the more important takeaway here is the possibility that next-generation MacBook Pros will feature a 14:9 (1.56:1) aspect ratio, which is a huge departure from today's 16:9. 

My thoughts

Hmmm, this is rather interesting. Apple is apparently opting for a 14:9 aspect ration (this is pretty similar to the 3:2 aspect ratio but still slightly wider) for it's up and coming "M1X" MBPs. Honestly, this'll probably make the new MBPs a lot more appealing to me. I, honestly, dislike 3:2, but I still do like that extra screen space. It should be noted that there will be quite a bit of letterboxing for most content (although, I genuinely like letterboxing (Don't ask)). But, we'll have to wait and see. It shouldn't be that long if rumors are true (But then again, they can be wrong (as proved by the september apple event)).

Sources

Tom's hardware

MacRumours

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Macbooks have always had letterboxing. Pretty sure they've never released a 16:9 laptop display. Their recent notebooks have a glass panel over the entire display, bezels and all. So when you're watching something in 16:9 it's almost impossible to tell the difference between bezel and display unless you're in really bright light.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I love the 16:10 displays of MacBooks, but I’m not so sure that this is an improvement. Imo making the displays any narrower than they are now is the wrong direction.  

Though I don’t foresee me upgrading my 2020 13” MBP due to Apple Silicon not being able to run Windows for games. So I guess it’s not really a concern for me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I love the 16:10 displays of MacBooks, but I’m not so sure that this is an improvement. Imo making the displays any narrower than they are now is the wrong direction.  

Though I don’t foresee me upgrading my 2020 13” MBP due to Apple Silicon not being able to run Windows for games. So I guess it’s not really a concern for me. 

I have a feeling that the new aspect ratio and 14 inch measurement are just a consequence of them shrinking bezels on the current 13 inch model’s form factor. I don’t think you’d be losing any horizontal real estate compared to your current 13 inch model.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20