I have a pc running windows XP professional and I am struggling to install Linux onto it.

Jozzey

I have a pc running windows XP professional and I am attempting to run Lubuntu on it. my goal is for windows XP to be gone, and the system wiped clean, replaced with Lubuntu. I have mounted the Lubuntu ISO to a virtual drive (used virtual clone drive), all I struggle with now is booting from it. when the pc starts up I always choose dvd/cd rom as the boot option, but it always boots windows XP. Can somebody help? thanks

Any reason you didn't use Rufus or another USB etcher to write the ISO to the drive?  It might work a bit better. Just double check to make sure the system supports USB booting, but most do.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Any reason you didn't use Rufus or another USB etcher to write the ISO to the drive?  It might work a bit better. Just double check to make sure the system supports USB booting, but most do.

The system does support usb booting, but I don't own a usb. Should I use Rufus to write the ISO to the virtual disk drive? sorry for being noob.

Just now, Jozzey said:

The system does support usb booting, but I don't own a usb. 

Then what are you trying to load the ISO onto? I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to do. It might be simpler if you just got a DVD, wrote it, and tried to boot off of that

4 minutes ago, RageTester said:

You can't boot from virtual drive if you remove the operating system that virtual drive is inside of.

Linux can be installed from within windows with wubi app:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Using-Wubi-To-Transition-From-Windows-XP-To-Lubuntu-Linux

The install link on that website doesn't work, and https://wubi-installer.org/ is the first thing that comes up in google, is definitely not the correct website

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Then what are you trying to load the ISO onto? I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to do. It might be simpler if you just got a DVD, wrote it, and tried to boot off of that

I want to replace windows XP with Lubuntu. Lubutu is on a virtual cd drive, I cannot boot from the virtual cd drive, and I have no access to DVD. How should I go about this?

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Most, if not all solutions to this would be to buy a USB drive or a blank DVD off Amazon.

I will attempt to get a USB, but in the past when I tried this with USB, I had the same issues

Ok I have not done this in years... maybe wubi is outdated. You would have to boot windows 1st every time and that is not what you need.

So yeah get a USB stick, use rufus to make it bootable and install onto hard drive. 

Might be a good idea to shrink partition and create 2nd one just for linux.

The machine may also be too old to boot from USB.

Note that you likely need an x86 linux distro (should list the machine's components to be sure). 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2