Just got a 3080 ti getting random pc restarts

tuunade98
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
5 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

event viewer shows a fatal hardware error has occured. Reported by component: Processor Core. Error Source: Machine Check Exception. Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error. Processor APIC ID: 1 

I created anotehr thread suspecting this could be my PBO2 settings for my 5800x not 100% sure, just baffling as this only happened since i swapped out my 2080 ti for this brand new 3080 ti...

I concur. My negative offset for my 5900X proved unstable. I got a couple of random restarts, although they took over a week to happen. I've now got each core dialed in separately as one core could only handle a -10 while most could do -20 or more.

Download OCCT and run the large, variable AVX2 stress test for 15 minutes on each core individually (advanced options, uncheck all but one core, also set it to check both physical and virtual, disable the other options). If errors show up, your curve offset is not truly stable.

Hi everyone,

first of all my specs:

ryzen 5800x pbo2 curve optimiser value of 20 on all cores

seasonic-x 1250w psu 

gigabyte  aorus master 3080 ti

32gb 3200 ram

I just got and installed a brand new gigabyte aorus master 3080 ti. So far I’ve gotten about one or two random restarts although the first one I suspect it could be due to windows update since when my pc restarted for that one it started updating windows… 

my 2nd restart however was completely random and just went straight to windows login screen. Mind you I did not see the bios screen but I know it restarted due to how the case fans behaved.. 

now I was firsty suspecting my cpu a ryzen 5800x as I’ve got a pbo2 undervoltage curve optimiser value of 20 on it, but these settings seemed to be completely fine when I had my 2080 ti in… also stress testing with cinebench r23 single core and multi core is completely fine with no crashes or anything..

what’s a good way to stress test the gpu to make sure it’s stable and working properly? Also what monitoring tool should I use to monitor gpu temps? I’m currently using hwmonitor

10 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

Hi everyone,

first of all my specs:

ryzen 5800x pbo2 curve optimiser value of 20 on all cores

seasonic-x 1250w psu 

gigabyte  aorus master 3080 ti

32gb 3200 ram

I just got and installed a brand new gigabyte aorus master 3080 ti. So far I’ve gotten about one or two random restarts although the first one I suspect it could be due to windows update since when my pc restarted for that one it started updating windows… 

my 2nd restart however was completely random and just went straight to windows login screen. Mind you I did not see the bios screen but I know it restarted due to how the case fans behaved.. 

now I was firsty suspecting my cpu a ryzen 5800x as I’ve got a pbo2 undervoltage curve optimiser value of 20 on it, but these settings seemed to be completely fine when I had my 2080 ti in… also stress testing with cinebench r23 single core and multi core is completely fine with no crashes or anything..

what’s a good way to stress test the gpu to make sure it’s stable and working properly? Also what monitoring tool should I use to monitor gpu temps? I’m currently using hwmonitor

Three things:

1. HWMonitor is widely accepted as being significantly inferior to HWiNFO64

2. If only as a sanity check, DDU the current driver you have & do a fresh install, in SAFE MODE (download DDU to desktop, reboot to Safe Mode then install and run it there).

3. Make a note of the current overclock settings you have & clear the CMOS to (re-)check the base functionality of the core rig, with the 3080 ti.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

I just reinstalled the drivers using ddu as well. I did install the drivers earlier over a stupid driver that windows installed by itself(I wasn’t quick enough). This time though I’ve installed it fresh with no previous windows forced drivers… hopefully this helps, if not I’ll try the cmos option. Will post back my results.

If windows reboots itself, there is usually the details on why in the event log.  Something like a BSOD message or why a reboot was triggered.

I don't know 1.25KW power supply but the 3080ti does like more power then the 2080ti.  Is the 3080ti connected using different 12V rails?  not sure if there are shared ones on the PSU?  maybe try moving the power cables to different rails on the back of the PSU?

event viewer shows a fatal hardware error has occured. Reported by component: Processor Core. Error Source: Machine Check Exception. Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error. Processor APIC ID: 1 

I created anotehr thread suspecting this could be my PBO2 settings for my 5800x not 100% sure, just baffling as this only happened since i swapped out my 2080 ti for this brand new 3080 ti...

5 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

I concur. My negative offset for my 5900X proved unstable. I got a couple of random restarts, although they took over a week to happen. I've now got each core dialed in separately as one core could only handle a -10 while most could do -20 or more.

Download OCCT and run the large, variable AVX2 stress test for 15 minutes on each core individually (advanced options, uncheck all but one core, also set it to check both physical and virtual, disable the other options). If errors show up, your curve offset is not truly stable.