realtek audio + beyerdynamic dt 990 250 ohm quiet

Brumbo

Hi

I have a tomahawk x570 mobo which claims to drive a 600 ohm headset, I've now got a beyerdynamic dt 990 edition but it sounds too quiet for my opinion, I have to put my pc to a 100% to get to a slightly above normal sound level for videos.

I've tried finding out if I can set the impedence or gain manually but have yet to find out how, all I've found so far is the realtek audio console and that seems to be a lot sparser than most pictures I've seen of it.

anyone got any tips on how to get it sounding the best

rac.png

1 minute ago, Brumbo said:

Hi

I have a tomahawk x570 mobo which claims to drive a 600 ohm headset, I've now got a beyerdynamic dt 990 edition but it sounds too quiet for my opinion, I have to put my pc to a 100% to get to a slightly above normal sound level for videos.

I've tried finding out if I can set the impedence or gain manually but have yet to find out how, all I've found so far is the realtek audio console and that seems to be a lot sparser than most pictures I've seen of it.

anyone got any tips on how to get it sounding the best

rac.png

Because Beyer headphones are quite hard to drive and needs an amp to sound good and achieve better volume levels. If you can't get it to sound loud enough with every setting tweaked. An amp/DAC or an amp will do much better than onboard audio.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

4 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Because Beyer headphones are quite hard to drive and needs an amp to sound good and achieve better volume levels.

yeah I know but seeing as they claim to be able to drive a 600 ohm headphone, I would've thought that a 250 one should be do-able.

5 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

If you can't get it to sound loud enough with every setting tweaked.

and that's the main issue (I think) I don't have any settings to tweak somehow

1 minute ago, Brumbo said:

yeah I know but seeing as they claim to be able to drive a 600 ohm headphone, I would've thought that a 250 one should be do-able.

Not all built in motherboard amps are equal and very high quality. The 600ohm claim on the specs is just bullshit. It can drive it. The question is how good?

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Just now, Tigerleon said:

Not all built in motherboard amps are equal and very high quality. The 600ohm claim on the specs is just bullshit. It can drive it. The question is how good?

yeah seems fair I don't know if it helps but it says it's an alc 1200. 

but yeah was already thinking of maybe getting an external dac or smth

okay so I've done some tests, and my wifes laptop goes louder and a phone slightly lower (around 80% volume of my pc).

so I'm really thinking I'm missing some options or smth to tinker with

Most onboard audiochip on motherboards are just weak piece of shit and companies claiming their motherboards can handle up to 600ohm is like they can shit rabbits out of their ass aka lying to death. An externel audio is much better in terms of independent power.

And no, your wife her laptop has a different dac or onboard audiochip. I had a Huawei Smart Z and while the audio quality is trash, it can drive my DT880/770 250ohm with ease. My other phone, Huawei Mate 20X has a much better audioquality but it has hard times driving the DT's. It's not you or your wife. Just a bad luck.

The best thing is as Tiger indeed said: an dac/amp will be a better solution. I mean, my onboard audio already has trouble handling my Marshall 32ohm headphone!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

35 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Most onboard audiochip on motherboards are just weak piece of shit and companies claiming their motherboards can handle up to 600ohm is like they can shit rabbits out of their ass aka lying to death. An externel audio is much better in terms of independent power.

And no, your wife her laptop has a different dac or onboard audiochip. I had a Huawei Smart Z and while the audio quality is trash, it can drive my DT880/770 250ohm with ease. My other phone, Huawei Mate 20X has a much better audioquality but it has hard times driving the DT's. It's not you or your wife. Just a bad luck.

The best thing is as Tiger indeed said: an dac/amp will be a better solution. I mean, my onboard audio already has trouble handling my Marshall 32ohm headphone!

alright I guess I have some research and shopping to do then

20 hours ago, Brumbo said:

and that's the main issue (I think) I don't have any settings to tweak somehow

Claims are another thing from reality sadly. My own motherboard claims the same thing and does not achieve anywhere near 600 ohms and 250 ohms is quite for me too. . Best thing you can do is buy an amp. Or you could use a program like equalizer app to add more volume but you will Introduce distortion as you will be needlessly pushing the amp.

I have a small external amp, FiiO E10K ,and its a good fit for my DT 990"s. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

4 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

I have a small external amp, FiiO E10K ,and its a good fit for my DT 990"s. 

Hard to recc this guy these days unfortunately as it's old and now outclassed by even cheaper dongles sound wise

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

Hard to recc this guy these days unfortunately as it's old and now outclassed by even cheaper dongles sound wise

That amp even has usb-c now lol

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280