Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I change motherboards but same chipset, is there anything I should prepare or to keep in mind?

I am planning to buy a new motherboard for my current PC because the RAM seems acting wierd and it is getting slow to respond and it happend at least 4 times this week. I think it all started when I changed PSUs last few months ago(I even posted about it in this forum).

To summarize, the channel B(that is what the manual called it) seems broken after the PSU change. My PC was running dual channel perfectly fine before the PSU change so I don't why it didn't after the PSU change. I suspected that it is because I removed the RAM at that slot because I can't pull out the 24 pin. A RAM stick removal shouldn't be the cause of it right?

Now, back to the topic. Is there anything I should do before the motherboard swap?

For reference, my potato PC specs: Asus H110M-K, GTX 1050 Ti, i5-6400, 2x 8GB Gskill Ripjaws V 3200MHz now running at single channel smh(I know it is overkill but I was planning for it to be reused if I ever get a new PC), 860 EVO 500GB.

Clean the ram sticks and the ram slots first, maybe they're oxidized or dirty .. 

Use a regular soft eraser on the ram contacts.

The ram slots .. a nice trick is cutting a small piece of copier paper (about the width of two fingers), fold it 2/3/4 times until it's thick enough that you can slide up and down inside the slot a few times... the paper is abrasive enough to clean the  pins inside the slot.

Also, remove your cpu and reseat it ... before reseat, carefully inspect the contacts in the socket .. if some contacts/pins in socket are too bent they won't touch the cpu pads and your ram channel won't work. 

May want to replace thermal paste after reseating.

The power supply can not be responsible for just a ram channel not working right. Either the motherboard powers all sticks correctly or it doesn't - the motherboard has a dc-dc converter circuit which converts 5v or 12v to 1.2 ..1.35v the ram sticks need.

And no, I wouldn't buy a replacement motherboard ... I'd sell that mobo with the cpu as a kit and buy Ryzen or something similar in performance on Intel. 

12 hours ago, mariushm said:

Also, remove your cpu and reseat it ... before reseat, carefully inspect the contacts in the socket

I also did this but didnt work

The power supply can not be responsible for just a ram channel not working right

Exactly. I am confused why it happened after the PSU swap.

And no, I wouldn't buy a replacement motherboard ... I'd sell that mobo with the cpu as a kit and buy Ryzen or something similar in performance on Intel. 

I see, thanks for the suggestion.