Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Connection Reset on some sites. Need permanent fix. All devices affected.

Some sites give me a Connection Reset error. This problem persist on all devices. This goes away for a few hours if I restart my modem

Modem: OPPO 5G CPE T1. Yes, its mobile data 5G. This problem also persist on the phone as well, not just in the modem.

For the modem, restarting or putting network to 4G only then back to 5g only fixes it for a few hours. For the phone, airplane mode on and off

Some sites I cant connect to are: Netflix, pcgamer.com, nintendo.com, CODM servers to name a few and they all give Connection Reset on all devices not just my pc

I tried DNS flush, winsock reset, 8.8.8.8 DNS and even 1.1.1.1, nslookup doesnt seem to show anything that could help me fix it.

nothing fixes it permanently and its getting very annoying, resetting the modem is not ideal as everyone needs internet constantly

My mobile network provider also provides fiber connection so I believe mobile networks go through the same pipe. Fiber is not available where I am, but 5G is, so pls do skip the part telling me to get fiber instead.
51 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

Are you able to ping any of the sites that are not working?

Yes, I am able to ping the sites

3 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

Yes, its mobile data 5G. This problem also persist on the phone as well, not just in the modem.

Is it the same ISP for both? Seems like an issue on their side.

3 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

My mobile network provider also provides fiber connection so I believe mobile networks go through the same pipe.

At some point they will go through the same backhaul, but the infrastructure is very different for both. Cellular will often be behind a CGNAT router as well, and that will cause issues with some programs/uses. Cellular is generally less reliable and more dependent on usage by other people around.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

My guess is that your service provider is doing something and that is failing. Maybe CGNAT, NAT64 or some proxy. You could check your result in test-ipv6.com and try using a VPN, but you should contact them.

What is a "connection reset" error?  What error messages exactly are you getting from what software under what circumstances?

Have you checked if your IP address(es) keep changing?

18 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Is it the same ISP for both? Seems like an issue on their side.

At some point they will go through the same backhaul, but the infrastructure is very different for both. Cellular will often be behind a CGNAT router as well, and that will cause issues with some programs/uses. Cellular is generally less reliable and more dependent on usage by other people around.

Yes, its the same sim card, so same isp

18 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

My guess is that your service provider is doing something and that is failing. Maybe CGNAT, NAT64 or some proxy. You could check your result in test-ipv6.com and try using a VPN, but you should contact them.

looking at the modem status, the ipv6 is blank, there is ipv4.

Using a vpn makes the sites work, Opera GX makes it simple but im usually on my phone as well and its really a hassle, plus its just me who gets fixed.

Ipv6 test: No ipv6 detected, everything else is an i or a check

8 hours ago, heimdali said:

What is a "connection reset" error?  What error messages exactly are you getting from what software under what circumstances?

Have you checked if your IP address(es) keep changing?

I tried chrome, opera gx, and edge, also their android counterparts, safari. I have not checked yet, tho past experience I believe it is dynamic

Just now, DARK0717 said:

Yes, its the same sim card, so same isp

looking at the modem status, the ipv6 is blank, there is ipv4

I have not checked yet, tho past experience I believe it is dynamic

so, is it the ISP's fault, i recieved a similar response from a discord server about the CGNAT exhaustion "Could be something like CGNAT exhaustion if you don't have a public IPv4 address" is what the guy said. Is there something I can do about this that doesnt involve calling the ISP (theyr utterly not helpful honestly), but if I have to call the ISP what do I say?

5 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

so, is it the ISP's fault

Most likely

7 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

Is there something I can do about this that doesnt involve calling the ISP

Probably not...

5 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

but if I have to call the ISP what do I say?

Usually it's best to play the "average customer" as in describe the original issue of losing connection frequently and/or after X time, the person you'll have on the call likely has no idea of the technical details so best to avoid that.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

No error messages?

If only or mostly encrypted data is affected (like HTTPS vs HTTP), it's possible that MTU and/or MSS are set incorrectly.  At least that is what this makes me think of.

Would it still be possible to ping an ipv4 address when CGNAT exhaustion has kicked in?  I'd keep pinging one site continously and then try to ping another one when connections are being interrupted.

You could ask if they have recently done firmware updates somewhere.  It could be faulty hardware as well as buggy firmware.

Or do you somehow have some ipv6 addresses still in use that didn't get updated when ipv6 stopped working?