My be quiet pure base 500 front panel is driving me nuts

marek1977

Please help. Just as the title says it's driving me nuts. It's basically one large humming speaker. I think it's caused by two 140mm fans mounted behind it. I cannot work out how to get rid of it. I tried different screws and Noctua NA-SAV2 Anti-vibration mounts. Nothing helps.

Do I understand you correctly that the front panel of your PCs case if vibrating or rattling when your intake fans are spinning?

If so: try touching the front panel at different places and try to find the spot where it stops humming when you touch it with your finger. that way you should

know what is causing your problem

🥦🥦

2 hours ago, broccoli27 said:

Do I understand you correctly that the front panel of your PCs case if vibrating or rattling when your intake fans are spinning?

If so: try touching the front panel at different places and try to find the spot where it stops humming when you touch it with your finger. that way you should

know what is causing your problem

Yes, exactly, it's this sort of low level vibration, almost like humming. It's caused by fans mounted directly behind the panel. I am thinking of mounting them at the top of the case instead.

3 hours ago, marek1977 said:

Yes, exactly, it's this sort of low level vibration, almost like humming. It's caused by fans mounted directly behind the panel. I am thinking of mounting them at the top of the case instead.

Did you tried moving the fans to the inside of the case (other side of that front frame bracket) so they are not so close to the front panel ?

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

On 9/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, Whiro said:

Did you tried moving the fans to the inside of the case (other side of that front frame bracket) so they are not so close to the front panel ?

I tried that but it's still the same result

I've experienced this low frequency humming noise with my PureBase 500 as well. I believe it's an issue with the design of the front panel. The vibration resonates throughout it turning it into a soundboard. The only thing that stops it is applying pressure to it. I used a couple bolts and nuts from the inside out to apply pressure to the back of the front panel and that seems to have done the trick. Definitely a design flaw in my opinion, but one that I'm sure alot of people don't even notice, especially if the tower is more than a couple feet away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 8:33 PM, LoudNProud75 said:

I've experienced this low frequency humming noise with my PureBase 500 as well. I believe it's an issue with the design of the front panel. The vibration resonates throughout it turning it into a soundboard. The only thing that stops it is applying pressure to it. I used a couple bolts and nuts from the inside out to apply pressure to the back of the front panel and that seems to have done the trick. Definitely a design flaw in my opinion, but one that I'm sure alot of people don't even notice, especially if the tower is more than a couple feet away.

I have today got rid off all my HDDs, now I have only 2 SSD drives and the case is super quiet. It's a real shame about the drive cage.

• 5 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 8:33 PM, LoudNProud75 said:

I just bought this PC case and I was so happy until I heard this sound you all talking about. I sit really close and it super annoying. Is it possible to make some pics where you put the screw to apply pressure? I know that is my problem too cause if I push it it goes away. Much appreciated 

1 hour ago, SlyHun said:

I just bought this PC case and I was so happy until I heard this sound you all talking about. I sit really close and it super annoying. Is it possible to make some pics where you put the screw to apply pressure? I know that is my problem too cause if I push it it goes away. Much appreciated 

I wonder if you can attach door seal rubber/felt strips to where you find pushing it removes the noise?

Something like this … https://www.bunnings.com.au/cowdroy-5m-white-door-and-window-rubber-seal_p4062621 or https://www.bunnings.com.au/moroday-grey-econo-self-adhesive-weather-seal_p4061873

• 5 months later...

I fixed the issue by adding Pure Loop 360 to the front of the case, no more annoying humming sound