ASUS FX505DY Laptop fans constantly on with no load

RandomTheBagel

I've posted about this here before but it's been a while and I don't want to bring an old thread back, so here we go again

My ASUS TUF FX505DY gaming laptop fans are out of control. Upon starting they behave normal, but about 30 seconds into windows and they immediantly spin up to what I think is the fastest they can go. It persists until I completly power off the machine, only stopping temporarily if I go into sleep mode, at that point it immediantly goes back to blasting once I wake it.

It's worth noting that I tried going back to Win8 and then return to windows 10 after to try and fix the problem, and that seemed to fix the fans.

In Windows 8, the fans functioned just as I expected them to, staying silent unless I started doing something, in which it slightly ramped up, but never got anywhere near what it's doing now. The problem with windows 8 is that most of my device drivers are incompatible, ASUS never made drivers on windows 8 for this system, and the trackpad was out. I returned to windows 10 to find that the loud fan came back almost immediantly once I got into the setup process. I installed windows 10 clean from a USB drive, so it's a completly fresh install.

My guess is that maybe a driver that controls the fan isnt working properly, but since pretty much all my drivers can't load in windows 8, it reverted to something more normal? I thought maybe ACPI Thermal Zone would be the problem but I can't disable it, the buttons grayed out in Device Manager. 

Few more things worth mentioning

Booting windows into safe mode causes the fan to behave exactly like it did in Windows 8, but I couldn't narrow down a problem driver.

The fan speed readings seem off everywhere. Sometimes it just reads 0 RPM in Armory Crate and even the BIOS (although the one time I saw the BIOS do this it fixed itself after 20ish seconds) other times it will show as 300 RPM, which I know isn't right. Other times it reads ~5000 RPM, which may be accurate? I don't believe it's a physical problem though, as Windows 8 didn't seem to have a problem with it.

There are no fan curves in the BIOS on this system. The fan is supposed to be controlled by hitting fn+f5 or in armory crate, and choosing between a bunch of preset options (turbo, silent, etc). These of course don't do anything to the fan, but they do decrease my brightness.

I litterally don't know what else to try, this ear piercing loud fan being on 24/7 is driving me insane, so any help would be appriciated.