Discord trialing youtube integration - Is this why groovy was shut down?

bizzehdee

Summary

Discord has started to trial integrating youtube into its service, just a few weeks after bots like groovy were forced offline by youtube. Integrations like this are not negotiated or implemented overnight, youtube knew this was coming when they served groovey with a C&D.

Seems like youtube have removed the 3rd party competition from discord before discord and youtube rolled out their first party offerings.

Quotes

Discord is starting to test YouTube integration, just weeks after Google-owned YouTube forced two popular Discord music bots offline. YouTube integration has started appearing in a small number of Discord servers today as part of what appears to be a new test of a collaboration between Discord and YouTube

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/22/22687492/discord-youtube-integration-watch-together-feature-beta

13 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Yep, and couldn't have had nitro in the past, for you to get it too, which Is shitty.

I got 3 months off free Nitro from Epic and within those free 3 months I got the YT premium from Nitro. 

Now I at least know how useless nitro is... what's the point of having animated avatar of it doesn't play automatically and you have to hover mouse over it? 

18 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I got 3 months off free Nitro from Epic and within those free 3 months I got the YT premium from Nitro. 

Now I at least know how useless nitro is... what's the point of having animated avatar of it doesn't play automatically and you have to hover mouse over it? 

To prevent people from triggering seizures.

37 minutes ago, Kisai said:

they could make a setting for that. "disable automatic avatar playback" or something like that

googlify my discord servers man!
Just add a bunch of statistics and data collections, soon or have already updated that EULA for sure 🙂

2 hours ago, flo_306 said:

they could make a setting for that. "disable automatic avatar playback" or something like that

image.thumb.png.5339321ec81e368383320190202d9cae.png

Clearly they know what they're doing since the features exist for the emoji/emote stickers.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

image.thumb.png.5339321ec81e368383320190202d9cae.png

Clearly they know what they're doing since the features exist for the emoji/emote stickers.

This option was not there when I had Nitro. Always Animate was unavailable. 

14 hours ago, bizzehdee said:

Summary

Discord has started to trial integrating youtube into its service, just a few weeks after bots like groovy were forced offline by youtube. Integrations like this are not negotiated or implemented overnight, youtube knew this was coming when they served groovey with a C&D.

Seems like youtube have removed the 3rd party competition from discord before discord and youtube rolled out their first party offerings.

Quotes

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/22/22687492/discord-youtube-integration-watch-together-feature-beta

Well, This article seems to have a different opinion: https://www.pcgamer.com/discord-is-testing-official-youtube-integration/

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

12 hours ago, Kisai said:

how would it trigger a seizure?

This feature's testing didn't start after Rythm and Groovy were shut down. It's been going on for about 4 months at this point. (Atleast, my discord bot's git is that old. I'm quite sure that the source i copied the code from is a couple weeks older than that at the least)

I don't know why more people were not talking about it. My friends and I have been having a lot of fun with it, despite it's troubles. Did I accidentally find some alpha or pre alpha code for bot integration lmao?

As it stands, from my personal experience, it's got a few bugs to work out.

1. Anyone in the watch party can play or pause for the whole group.

2. Out of nowhere it tells that [user#0000 has touched the controls] when such a thing never happened. Most commonly happens whenever someone joins the watch party.

3. It doesn't work on Mobile. Only on PC. 

4. The playback speed isn't synced across everyone watching. If one person puts it at 1.25x, not everyone can watch it at 1.25x.

Now, to be fair, It's been a couple of months since I updated that code, and didn't find a source to copy paste the code for any updates, so I don't know if the first problem has been resolved. And with Discord.py no longer being maintained, I doubt there's going to be any sources to copy paste from. Hope a well maintained alternative shows up soon.

Assuming you can ignore these few problems, It's really cool, and atleast my little server feels it's better than one guy streaming video at 720p30.

This feature has a lot of potential, and I hope it ends up being a great feature. 

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

how would it trigger a seizure?

High-speed flashing in ANY animation can trigger a seizure. That's why the default settings in UGC (user generated content) usually pauses videos/gif's to avoid trolls posting seizure-inducing videos at people they want to hurt.

This can happen even for tiny videos.

https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/triggers-seizures/photosensitivity-and-seizures#:~:text=The frequency or speed of,flashes per second (Hertz).

So any flashing between 5 and 30fps can do.

Many people are also still bothered by "flashing" animations even if they might not trigger a seizure itself.

I find this new system so impractical, from a single message to play music to a complex UI. I hope Discord and Youtube won't go into the rabbit hole and deliver something practically unusable/useless.

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

High-speed flashing in ANY animation can trigger a seizure. That's why the default settings in UGC (user generated content) usually pauses videos/gif's to avoid trolls posting seizure-inducing videos at people they want to hurt.

This can happen even for tiny videos.

https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/triggers-seizures/photosensitivity-and-seizures#:~:text=The frequency or speed of,flashes per second (Hertz).

So any flashing between 5 and 30fps can do.

Many people are also still bothered by "flashing" animations even if they might not trigger a seizure itself.

Avatars are about an inch big on my screen. I really doubt that will cause a seizures unless you are in a totally dark room, full screen brightness and far too close to your screen.