EU proposes law to generalize charging cables

Venson

Summary

Today (23.09.2021) the European Kommision will propose a law that forces all manufactures of Cellphones, Tablets, Cameras, Headphones and gaming consoles to use the USB-C standard for charging. The proposal aims to help consumers to reduce waste and also includes a section that forces all manufactures to exclude chargers for all products. It aims to reduce electronic waste by 980Tonnes pa.

My thoughts

This has been long overdue and I hate to see devices that still use mirco usb.

Sources

EU führt einheitliches Ladekabel für Handys ein - Schlappe für Apple - Wirtschaft - SZ.de (sueddeutsche.de)

I really like this, aside from the gaming consoles.  They're probably asking too much when it comes to gaming consoles, since the newest XBOX and Play Stations remain high-powered.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Mixed feelings on this. Yes, it would be a good thing if everything adopted the same standard cable, but does it justify a law to enforce it?

I guess the waste justification is the main point though and the universal connector is just a good side effect. 

7 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

I really like this, aside from the gaming consoles.  They're probably asking too much when it comes to gaming consoles, since the newest XBOX and Play Stations remain high-powered.

I think they mean portable consoles!

Other than Apple, haven't the mobile and associated companies already more or less gone this direction? I haven't bought any new accessories recently so what I have is a mix of mini-USB, micro-USB, and USB-C depending on age.

20 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

"for charging" so not powering consoles, but probably the controllers. I don't have either current gen model, what do they use?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Havent they tried this before? I swear I remember seeing this numerous times before in LTT forums.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

one word:

AGAIN.

this has been going on in the EU ever since it was a whole fuss about nokia's "new" thinner charging jack.

4 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I would prefer it to be a natural process rather than forcing them to do so.

Why? This coercion is the best way to ensure even faster (full) adoption of USB C.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Great way to stifle innovation. 

What if this would have become law with the fantastic micro-USB or even better with the old Ericsson charger (pic below).

iu.jpeg.d8539a0d0027e78cd2adb9bd560c02c5.jpeg

Further, as I've said in numerous threads in here, I think USB-C is a bad connector, sure better than micro-USB but still to fragile. 

3 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Great way to stifle innovation. 

What if this would have become law with the fantastic micro-USB or even better with the old Ericsson charger (pic below).

iu.jpeg.d8539a0d0027e78cd2adb9bd560c02c5.jpeg

Further, as I've said in numerous threads in here, I think USB-C is a bad connector, sure better than micro-USB but still to fragile. 

That connector was also used for earphones/headsets. You needed the proprietary ones or an adapter to not annoy people. Mid 2000's Sony Ericson were as bad as current day iPhones in that regard (they still at least had expandable storage...up to 2GB)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That connector was also used for earphones/headsets. You needed the proprietary ones or an adapter to not annoy people. Mid 2000's Sony Ericson were as bad as current day iPhones in that regard (they still at least had expandable storage...up to 2GB)

But the point is that if these standardization discussions would have cropped up back then and the industry had settled on the ericsson charger we would have been stuck with it. Back then it was enough in transfer speeds and in charging speeds and connectivity what more could you ask for. Well welcome to 202. 

This retarded EU proposal, while the base intention is noble, is trying to keep a static point in a dynamic world. This is stifling innovation at a high level.  

2 minutes ago, Spindel said:

This retarded EU proposal, while the base intention is noble, is trying to keep a static point in a dynamic world. This is stifling innovation at a high level.  

I mean, it's not. This doesn't prevent the USB consortium, nor any other kind of electromechanical conglomerate from operating. There is nothing that suggests that if a better connector is ratified, governments won't move to that.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

I’m for it on the socket end.
USB-C PD supports all the voltages and wattages most consumer electronics would need.

I’m against it on the device end.

It would stifle innovation in terms of form factors, ingress protection, security, etc. 

It’s already non feasible (can’t put an usb-c on the actual chassis of an Apple watch), you’ll always need induction based charging for some gadgets. 

Apple is already 90% compliant on the socket end (almost every Apple product currently available ships with a usb-c on one end or both ends of the cable). Some Beats products still ship with USB-A on one end. 

26 minutes ago, Spindel said:

But the point is that if these standardization discussions would have cropped up back then and the industry had settled on the ericsson charger we would have been stuck with it. Back then it was enough in transfer speeds and in charging speeds and connectivity what more could you ask for. Well welcome to 202. 

USB-C has been around for years, ports don't change fast enough for legislation to not keep up, with other things it matters more how fast the laws can keep up, but man, apple has been using the same charger for almost 10 years, doesn't seem all that innovative to me.

35 minutes ago, Spindel said:

isnt USB-C capable of transfering at 40Gbps or something thru USB 4.0/TB3.0?

i think we're at least half a decade away from saturating it or think it's not enough for transfering files from devices for the common folks

that said, i hope they standardise more than just the port, they should also standardize the protocol too in wherever field that makes sense

for example, phones should most definitely have more than USB 2.0 speeds but they dont, even thoiugh they're type C

DP-out capaibilities and what not

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

37 minutes ago, Elisis said:

There is nothing that suggests that if a better connector is ratified, governments won't move to that.

Other than governments move at glacial paces. We don't need governments getting in the way of innovation. Standards bodies work out interconnectivity agreements and the market decides what technologies thrive or die.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

1 minute ago, Video Beagle said:

Other than governments move at glacial paces. We don't need governments getting in the way of innovation. Standards bodies work out interconnectivity agreements and the market decides what technologies thrive or die.

...This is likely getting too far on the political side to be discussed on the forum tbh

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 hours ago, porina said:

"for charging" so not powering consoles, but probably the controllers. I don't have either current gen model, what do they use?

Both console controllers are USB C

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

2 hours ago, Levent said:

Havent they tried this before? I swear I remember seeing this numerous times before in LTT forums.

Yes, lots.  And as always here's my 2cents (although I am going to defend my 2 cents like it's worth a million bucks 🙃).

IF the EU (or any government) were serious about the environment and E-waste,  then they would mandate that phones be designed to be serviceable and last 10 years.  We throw away more phones due to cracked screens (because they make them too fucking thin),  dead batteries (because they under spec them to save money) or simply becoming obsolete (because the hardware was released being barely good enough to run the current version of *enter mission critical software*) every year than we actually need to.  No one can honestly claim that having a phone 0.3mm thicker makes the phone unusable,  if you can't hold 50grams for the duration of a phone call then you need to see a doctor, tradies swing 1Kg tools all fucking day.    

It's really not that hard,  dumb phones for those who can't afford a smart phone (or don;t need one) no throw away smart phones so the cheapest you can buy is still as durable (or repairable) as phones used to be.   

The rest of these new rules/laws/regulations/etc are disingenuous rhetoric that sidesteps the real issues. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, Venson said:

Summary

Today (23.09.2021) the European Kommision will propose a law that forces all manufactures of Cellphones, Tablets, Cameras, Headphones and gaming consoles to use the USB-C standard for charging. The proposal aims to help consumers to reduce waste and also includes a section that forces all manufactures to exclude chargers for all products. It aims to reduce electronic waste by 980Tonnes pa.

My thoughts

This has been long overdue and I hate to see devices that still use mirco usb.

Sources

EU führt einheitliches Ladekabel für Handys ein - Schlappe für Apple - Wirtschaft - SZ.de (sueddeutsche.de)

Exclude chargers? 🙄
If I'm understanding this correctly (And I hope not), are they saying they can't include a charger for the device you're buying?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

15 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Exclude chargers? 🙄
If I'm understanding this correctly (And I hope not), are they saying they can't include a charger for the device you're buying?

I don't recall the details but there was a previous news thread on that topic. In short, if we have a standard charging connector, then you don't need a charger per device and you don't get a ton of excess chargers in everyone's home. At least that's the concept. If we're sticking on USB-C for a while, I see no need to get any more chargers with new devices as I have several already.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Exclude chargers? 🙄

i think they're referring to wall warts which i absolutely agree with, i struggle to think that there are people that don't have at least one laying around, or would at least have a PC that they can use it charge it from. Pretty sure we're at a stage where we don't need wall warts for every single new device.

i personally have a bag of maybe 15+ wall warts that i have been collecting over many years because there is no convenient e-waste disposal close to me

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i think they're referring to wall warts which i absolutely agree with, i struggle to think that there are people that don't have at least one laying around, or would at least have a PC that they can use it charge it from. Pretty sure we're at a stage where we don't need wall warts for every single new device.

i personally have a bag of maybe 15+ wall warts that i have been collecting over many years because there is no convenient e-waste disposal close to me

I have given away many wall warts as you call them and I still have 7 around the house that I know of, and probably more hidden in drawers, boxes, back of cupboards etc. 

I have at least 3 that are compatible with quick charge of some kind, although I find myself slow charging most of the time to help keep the battery in good condition. 

As far as phones being replaced, I recently had the loss of my nexus 5, yes that Nexus 5, which I used as a work phone for the last 5 years after moving away from it as my main. I've had it 7 or 8 years now and been through 2 battery replacements. It was probably time to upgrade honestly long ago but my work phone is only used for calls, texts and WhatsApp which it still did so why was there a need to upgrade? 

I'm using a refurb Sony Xperia 5 for my main phone atm, I'm actually really enjoying it. Let's hope it can last a few years, I already don't think I will be able to replace the battery in it as easily as my nexus 5, which is a shame. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Elisis said:

I mean, it's not. This doesn't prevent the USB consortium, nor any other kind of electromechanical conglomerate from operating. There is nothing that suggests that if a better connector is ratified, governments won't move to that.

If this was law in 2011, would Apple have been allowed to use the Lightning connector, which by that point was legitimately far superior to Micro USB?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

isnt USB-C capable of transfering at 40Gbps or something thru USB 4.0/TB3.0?

i think we're at least half a decade away from saturating it or think it's not enough for transfering files from devices for the common folks

Yeah and 640k of ram should be enough for anybody too.