Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

will windows basic audio driver support every motherboard built in audio, and should you install the realtech drivers?

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

In a sense yes, most audio interface can operate with basic legacy driver.

Unless it's using a totally new chip made in the last 2-3 years, you don't need to install the drivers.

Most audio chip in motherboard today are an incremental product based on an older design.

It's better to source the drivers from the chip manufacturer (realtek for example) than from the motherboard website, since they usually have the most recent update.

will the widows basic audio driver built into the iso work with any real-tech built in motherboard sound card or are there exceptions? ive never installed motherboard audio drivers and ive never had a problem, should i be installing the realtech drivers for motherboard audio? now I use a dac for the most part but still have speakers hooked up to the mobo in my secondary pc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you want the software features the drivers add or you've got noticeable problems it's not necessary to install the drivers.

 

I haven't seen a computer that didn't play audio with the built in drivers since XP. It really doesn't matter much, but installing drivers can also open up some higher sample rates, since by default I think Windows caps out at 48 KHz. 48 KHz is more than enough and you won't hear a difference with a higher sample rate, but you can't use them without drivers in some cases.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

 

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Unless you want the software features the drivers add or you've got noticeable problems it's not necessary to install the drivers.

 

I haven't seen a computer that didn't play audio with the built in drivers since XP. It really doesn't matter much, but installing drivers can also open up some higher sample rates, since by default I think Windows caps out at 48 KHz. 48 KHz is more than enough and you won't hear a difference with a higher sample rate, but you can't use them without drivers in some cases.

most of my headphones are sub 100 dollars and i listen to lossy audio files, I dont think the sample rate thing will matter for me at all. so the windows 10 audio driver works with absolutely anything? my dac, speakers and mobo audio port are all using the Microsoft driver, I never even knew there were audio drivers on mobo websites until I saw them on gigabytes website.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a sense yes, most audio interface can operate with basic legacy driver.

Unless it's using a totally new chip made in the last 2-3 years, you don't need to install the drivers.

Most audio chip in motherboard today are an incremental product based on an older design.

It's better to source the drivers from the chip manufacturer (realtek for example) than from the motherboard website, since they usually have the most recent update.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

In a sense yes, most audio interface can operate with basic legacy driver.

Unless it's using a totally new chip made in the last 2-3 years, you don't need to install the drivers.

Most audio chip in motherboard today are an incremental product based on an older design.

It's better to source the drivers from the chip manufacturer (realtek for example) than from the motherboard website, since they usually have the most recent update.

so brand new motherboard audio should work with the basic ms driver last updated in 2019? its working on my z490 board, on newer z590 boards and such I assume it would also work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

so brand new motherboard audio should work with the basic ms driver last updated in 2019? its working on my z490 board, on newer z590 boards and such I assume it would also work?

Yes, but you won't get new features from the latest chip (if any). For basic operation it should be fine.

Note that motherboard brand doesn't make the drivers, they just copy what's available from the chip maker.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, but you won't get new features from the latest chip (if any). For basic operation it should be fine.

Note that motherboard brand doesn't make the drivers, they just copy what's available from the chip maker.

ok good, i archive all drivers because I dont want to depend on someones servers to get my stuff working, if i can at least get basic audio without drivers that good enough for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×