12th gen looking real good

marcuzx

my budget around 1.5k tbh that 12900k 12700k and 12600k have an unbeatable price point. 16, 12, 10 cores. looked at some performance and wow! they’re top 3 chips atm. only issue with all k chips is the tdp and the expensive motherboard. on a ryzen you can literally get away with the stock cooler but on k chips you really want that 360mm aio unless you wanna get earraped 24/7. on the bright side blak friday right around the corner so hoping for some good microcenter deals. that 250w peak load means ima need me a h150i it prolly gon be 125 on sale which is aight deal for such a good cooler. hoping to get the mobo for around 300 although it’ll prolly be 400 500. that ddr5 gon be expensive unless you can overclock the b660 then ddr4 is fine. i really hope 12900k ends up being 450 cuz that mobo and ram prolly gon be like 1k. can’t wait, so many expectations. hopefully they don’t disappoint like last gen. sadly all i’ve got is a 6600xt but hoping to get a 3080 or 3090 if i can. gon get 1tb of wd m.2 whatever is closest to 100$. hoping for new case releases. haven’t been this excited since fx and tr launched. ima also be mining on this pc so that tdp better be like 50 while running at idle

29 minutes ago, marcuzx said:

my budget around 1.5k tbh that 12900k 12700k and 12600k have an unbeatable price point. 16, 12, 10 cores. looked at some performance and wow! they’re top 3 chips atm. only issue with all k chips is the tdp and the expensive motherboard. on a ryzen you can literally get away with the stock cooler but on k chips you really want that 360mm aio unless you wanna get earraped 24/7. on the bright side blak friday right around the corner so hoping for some good microcenter deals. that 250w peak load means ima need me a h150i it prolly gon be 125 on sale which is aight deal for such a good cooler. hoping to get the mobo for around 300 although it’ll prolly be 400 500. that ddr5 gon be expensive unless you can overclock the b660 then ddr4 is fine. i really hope 12900k ends up being 450 cuz that mobo and ram prolly gon be like 1k. can’t wait, so many expectations. hopefully they don’t disappoint like last gen. sadly all i’ve got is a 6600xt but hoping to get a 3080 or 3090 if i can. gon get 1tb of wd m.2 whatever is closest to 100$. hoping for new case releases. haven’t been this excited since fx and tr launched. ima also be mining on this pc so that tdp better be like 50 while running at idle

The price point you buy something at is what you put in someone’s hand and walk out the door, or what you’ve paid when the box arrives in the mail, etc.. or arguably what you have after it is installed and plugged in.  I suspect it will vary a lot.  If they’re fast and cheap and available they could in fact be a good deal.  The problem atm for instance is that intel is already selling chips for lower prices but to actually see the performance you have to buy a motherboard and cooler for higher prices so it often comes out a wash. We will see what we will see.  Alder lake is a very differently built chip.  This may be very good it may be very bad. Time will tell. AMD went SOC, modular, and efficient. This stood. Them in very good stead.  Ryzen2 wasn’t NOT faster in a lot of the markets it gained share in. Faster does help though because you can do more with less.  Look at the 5600x. It’s a low power six core. Cheap cooler, not a lot of wafer used to make a chip which means less materials (turns out a big one is water.  Who’d a thunk it?) so the sell a cheap chip for a high margin and make bank and market share at the same time.   Aldur lake may be even better at that one.  We shall see though. All it takes to beat a console is a is a 2600-3700x.  That’s the majority of gaming market. Another hunk is the office app market, and that doesn’t take much at all.  Monetarily the one that matters the most is the enterprise and server market.  That’s where the highest end makes the most difference.  I’m actually surprised a 16 thread machine with really small cheap chips didn’t come out.  Something maybe even a hair weaker than a 3700x but super efficient to build and make stuff for.  And therefore cheap. Someone did the math I’m sure. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The price point you buy something at is what you put in someone’s hand and walk out the door, or what you’ve paid when the box arrives in the mail, etc.. or arguably what you have after it is installed and plugged in.  I suspect it will vary a lot.  If they’re fast and cheap and available they could in fact be a good deal.  The problem atm for instance is that intel is already selling chips for lower prices but to actually see the performance you have to buy a motherboard and cooler for higher prices so it often comes out a wash. We will see what we will see.  Alder lake is a very differently built chip.  This may be very good it may be very bad. Time will tell. 

yup, i compare it to the fx chips sometimes except this is much faster, idk about the cores tho. i love how ryzen runs fine on a nice lil stock cooler and a 150$ board. so literally for 5950 that’s what? 1k? for intel 150 for cooler, 500 board, 600 cpu looking at 1.25k

man idk about that. intel needs to either have good affordable z690 or overclockable b660. oh and i only trust asus mobos, none of that msi garbage. guess we just gotta hope for good deals at this point

29 minutes ago, marcuzx said:

yup, i compare it to the fx chips sometimes except this is much faster, idk about the cores tho. i love how ryzen runs fine on a nice lil stock cooler and a 150$ board. so literally for 5950 that’s what? 1k? for intel 150 for cooler, 500 board, 600 cpu looking at 1.25k

man idk about that. intel needs to either have good affordable z690 or overclockable b660. oh and i only trust asus mobos, none of that msi garbage. guess we just gotta hope for good deals at this point

As far as boards brands go it varies too much to say.  The ones I trust have long hair or beards or Australian accents generally.  Aldur lake very possibly could be da kine.  We won’t know till everything is out though. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.