How does a AdBlocker effect the Creator Economy

Sayandeep

Just had a question about how a adblock effects content creators. For example ,I use the brave browser which has a in build adblocker and use it mainly to watch youtube ad free. I just wonder if Youtube serves a ad to me and its just the browser which blocks it, so youtube still thinks I was served the ad and pays accordingly to the content creator or is it that youtube just does not serve a ad to me. I also use Youtube vanced on my android mobile. It offers all the features as Youtube premium does such as background play, downloads and picture in picture. Is it that it just spoofs youtube to thinking I am a Premium member and pays the according rate to the content creator or is it otherwise.

Thanks for your time.   

Pretty sure the browser doesn't/can't spoof a YouTube premium membership, since that would require some type of account. And ad "blockers" typically block ads by not loading them. No ad impression > Google gets no money from the advertiser > creator gets no money from Google.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Adblock prevents the ad from playing and therefore doens't get the creator paid as there is no marker that the ad played.

Same thing for youtube vanced, it just blocks ads and doens't impose the same restrictions as the official app. The official app used to allow background playback but they removed it and put it behind their pay wall.

Basically if you dont get an ad served by youtube in any way, the creator doens't get paid.

though with that said, the amount of creators that have baked in sponsors came about most likely because of adblock

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I use Enhancer for YouTube, which is an extension for Firefox that adds a lot of useful features to your YouTube player.

One of them is a skip ad button which lets you skip an ad whenever you want. So you can just click it right away and skip the ad or if you want to support someone don't click it and let the ad play.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

The content creators get so small amount of money from ads that if you're worried about it then you can donate them a dollar and they'll earn more than they ever would from you watching adds.

Tech tips of the day: you can have a Youtube Premium for about US$1.2 per month.

Use a VPN service to be located in Argentina, log in to your Google/Youtube account. Subscribe from that Argentinian IP to Youtube Premium using a randomly generated address in Argentina (fake address generator on Google). You'll be charged 119 ARS per month, which is roughly US$1.21 at that time...

42 minutes ago, ZeblodS said:

Tech tips of the day: you can have a Youtube Premium for about US$1.2 per month.

Use a VPN service to be located in Argentina, log in to your Google/Youtube account. Subscribe from that Argentinian IP to Youtube Premium using a randomly generated address in Argentina (fake address generator on Google). You'll be charged 119 ARS per month, which is roughly US$1.21 at that time...

Pretty sure this is against the terms of service, and like Vanced I think, should be said with the big warning that if they want they can terminate you for this.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 9/23/2021 at 6:35 AM, Arika S said:

though with that said, the amount of creators that have baked in sponsors came about most likely because of adblock

I rather see a YouTube like Alec Steele (a blacksmith) talk about Raid Shadow Legends than the unskippable ads, usually with a volume way higher then the actual video, before, in the middle and after the video. 

36 minutes ago, Spindel said:

I rather see a YouTube like Alec Steele (a blacksmith) talk about Raid Shadow Legends than the unskippable ads, usually with a volume way higher then the actual video, before, in the middle and after the video. 

Alec Steele is a blast to watch . No idea why he was never on Forged in Fire though!  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

So, if you want to use Adblock, and still want to help LTT?

Click Like on the videos.  (Counts as engagement)

Leave a comment (doesn't have to be top level, can be under another comment, again counts as engagement)

Linus gets about 1 cent from a bunch of ad Views.  So, those ad views don't add up to his company's real income.  

And if you go to LTT Store and buy something?  You'll give them more $ than your entire lifetime of ad viewing will earn them.

Generally content creators are going to have their own merch stores and Patreon pages of they're really serious about making a living from their content.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Merch, sponsorships, Patreon, Onlyfans (snort), Buy Me A Coffee etc. exist.

You're going to need to do the impossible task of convicing me that Google is struggling for money before I disable my adblockers.

Real talk. A non intrusive banner is how you get me to allow electro VD in my browser. Youtube can heck right off with serving me an ad longer than some of the short clips I watch.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:35 PM, Arika S said:

i still skip thows too...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, Caroline said:

It's the same as with piracy, big corpo says if I pirate a game I'm literally ruining the entire world's economy, youtubers say if I use ublock I'm "stealing" them their money by watching content with no ads while in reality there's no way an adblocker would ruin anyone except for annoying ads creators. 

ngcb6

Maybe if ads weren't flashing rectangles everywhere, popups and unskippable 5 minute promotions I wouldn't be using an adblock.

ill watch an ad once. other then that i want it gone. unless its a funny add like jay 2 cents i fix it add i love that one...

but one day my lucky will run out of blocking adds... as i wont be smart enough to find a way of blocking it. but i guess ill quit the internet.

i looked in to pf scene but i dont no and i think now its a kvm company now?🤔

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

On 9/23/2021 at 7:46 AM, ZeblodS said:

reminds me back then when google account suxs you could hack other accounts and get there name and pass. i forget how its was done but even i could have done it...oh google.

Wait...There's ads on youtube?

Earning an income isn't the same as being owed one.

I think blocking ads is absolutely fine, like muting an ad on TV and making a cup of tea.