Which SSD’s would you chose with my system and usage:

Maldorhan

Budget (including currency): No budget (€).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: My usage is long loading times games like Flight Simulator, other than that, DCS, and a few other “standard” games, and a bit of video editing.

Other details:

Hi,

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus PRO v2 B-550 that comes with 2 SSD heatsinks and my GPU is a 3080FE. As I said my usage is long loading times games like Flight Simulator, other than that, DCS, and a few other “standard” games, and a bit of video editing.

2 things I noticed/read:

-          Heat : The M.2 PCI-E 4.0 is located right over the GPU on my motherboard, like many others, which is normal for the “direct CPU access” BUT they put the M.2 PCI-E 3.0  BEHIND the GPU, the 3080 FE would cover it completely. So as people told me it shouldn’t heat the GPU, but it certainly wouldn’t help it cool down neither…

-          Bandwith: On the B-550, some people say that adding 2 very fast SSD (PCI-E 4.0 + PCI-E 3.0) + a demanding GPU like the 3080, could, in some cases, prevent the GPU to get all the bandwith it needs…

So now here’s the options I have :

A)

-          Slot PCI-E 4 : 1Tb SSD 980 PRO 6gbps (System + apps + 1 or 2 demanding games)

-          Slot PCI-E 3 : 1Tb SSD 980 3Gbps (Other games)

-          Slot SATA : nothing

Or

B)

-          Slot PCI-E 4 : 1Tb SSD 980 PRO 6gbps (System + apps + 1 or 2 demanding games)

-          Slot PCI-E 3 : nothing

-          Slot SATA : 1Tb SSD SATA 850 PRO 550Mbps (Other games)

For this question, forget about the pricing, just tell me what would you pick if you were in my position 😊

On my side: I’m on the B) team for now, simply because I think that picking the SATA as the second SSD would make the Heat and Bandwith questions disappear instantly, with not much difference for normal games… and even if it’s just bit less heat near the GPU, it’s still a good thing I guess..

Now I’m curious about what would YOU do!

Thanks a lot!

Capture d’écran 2021-09-23 003339.jpg

19 minutes ago, Maldorhan said:

Budget (including currency): No budget (€).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: My usage is long loading times games like Flight Simulator, other than that, DCS, and a few other “standard” games, and a bit of video editing.

Other details:

Hi,

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus PRO v2 B-550 that comes with 2 SSD heatsinks and my GPU is a 3080FE. As I said my usage is long loading times games like Flight Simulator, other than that, DCS, and a few other “standard” games, and a bit of video editing.

2 things I noticed/read:

-          Heat : The M.2 PCI-E 4.0 is located right over the GPU on my motherboard, like many others, which is normal for the “direct CPU access” BUT they put the M.2 PCI-E 3.0  BEHIND the GPU, the 3080 FE would cover it completely. So as people told me it shouldn’t heat the GPU, but it certainly wouldn’t help it cool down neither…

-          Bandwith: On the B-550, some people say that adding 2 very fast SSD (PCI-E 4.0 + PCI-E 3.0) + a demanding GPU like the 3080, could, in some cases, prevent the GPU to get all the bandwith it needs…

So now here’s the options I have :

A)

-          Slot PCI-E 3 : 1Tb SSD 980 3Gbps (Other games)

-          Slot SATA : nothing

Or

B)

-          Slot PCI-E 3 : nothing

-          Slot SATA : 1Tb SSD SATA 850 PRO 550Mbps (Other games)

For this question, forget about the pricing, just tell me what would you pick if you were in my position 😊

On my side: I’m on the B) team for now, simply because I think that picking the SATA as the second SSD would make the Heat and Bandwith questions disappear instantly, with not much difference for normal games… and even if it’s just bit less heat near the GPU, it’s still a good thing I guess..

Thanks a lot!

Capture d’écran 2021-09-23 003339.jpg

The heat from the SSD can easily be disapated with the built in heat shroud, or an aftermarket one.

You're not going to see an issue with PCI-E Gen 4 SSD's taking performance from the GPU
Most PCI-E Gen 4 SSD's can't even saturate a Gen 3 lane, let alone a 4th.

>>> On my side: I’m on the B) team for now, simply because I think that picking the SATA as the second SSD would make the Heat and Bandwith questions disappear instantly, with not much difference for normal games… and even if it’s just bit less heat near the GPU, it’s still a good thing I guess..

This would be my train of thought - however, I also do not care for loading times.
If the game doesnt' stutter under a general HDD load I would run that.
If the game does stutter, I would first try either a RAM/SSD Cache for the HDD in question.
If neither of those options work, then I would consider buying an SSD for a video game.

The Big UwU - Wise Words
1. PSU Wattage =/= PSU Quality
80+ Certification doesn't mean shit.
2. Don't cheap out on the heart of your system.

"B-b-but it was 20$ @ 800w, it was a steal!!" - An idiot with a dead PC.
3. Do not buy for brand, buy for the product.

Every company makes their fair line of garbage.

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

1 hour ago, Maldorhan said:

1TB 970 EVO PLUS + 1TB 870 EVO.

I would do it, and I have done it, for my current build. Both SSDs are working great!

Just use the top M.2 NVME SSD slot for the 970 EVO PLUS. That should be fine. You can always move it to the bottom m.2 nvme ssd slot, if you get a PCIe gen 4 m.2 nvme ssd in the future.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/dWcjCz

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

4 hours ago, Maldorhan said:

Bandwith: On the B-550, some people say that adding 2 very fast SSD (PCI-E 4.0 + PCI-E 3.0) + a demanding GPU like the 3080, could, in some cases, prevent the GPU to get all the bandwith it needs…

The 16 GPU PCIe lanes are direct to the cpu. The 4 PCIe 4.0 m.2 lanes are distinct from the GPU lanes and also direct to the cpu. The PCIe 3.0 m.2 lanes are connected through the chipset that communicates over a dedicated 4 lane PCIe 3.0 link with the cpu. You have not indicated the cpu being used, but anything that can handle an RTX 3080 is not going to have issues also handling two fast NVMe drives.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

29 minutes ago, brob said:

The 16 GPU PCIe lanes are direct to the cpu. The 4 PCIe 4.0 m.2 lanes are distinct from the GPU lanes and also direct to the cpu. The PCIe 3.0 m.2 lanes are connected through the chipset that communicates over a dedicated 4 lane PCIe 3.0 link with the cpu. You have not indicated the cpu being used, but anything that can handle an RTX 3080 is not going to have issues also handling two fast NVMe drives.

This is not 100% correct. Not every PCI-E 3rd Gen Lane is going to connect through the chipset.
Most motherboards have a direct pipeline from M.2 to CPU...

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

1 hour ago, Jorban said:

This is not 100% correct. Not every PCI-E 3rd Gen Lane is going to connect through the chipset.
Most motherboards have a direct pipeline from M.2 to CPU...

The 5000 cpu PCIe lanes are 4.0. 

38 minutes ago, brob said:

The 5000 cpu PCIe lanes are 4.0. 

That has nothing to do with some M.2's having direct CPU access, and then some being transfered through the SATA Controller...

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

I have the same Motherboard, an RX6700XT and one PCIe Gen4 M.2, PCIe Gen3 M.2 & Sata SSD and also two HDD's

If you just want game storage, an HDD will serve you just fine. SSD's are nice, but you can get a 2TB HDD for 50€ and have space for days, together with a 1TB Gen4 M.2 you'll have a great package.

If you want to go full SSD, you can also skimp down on the second drive. A good boot drive (gen4) and then something like the crucial P2 or WD Blue Sn550. They are most of the times cheaper you'll get 1 TB for 90-100€ in Germany. 1TB in Sata will cost you 85-100€ and therefore I don't think it's worth it, when you get way faster SSD's for just a few bucks more.

For Video files you want fast storage, so maybe after considering I'll suggest this:

For Boot & important files:        1TB Gen4 M.2 (WD Black Sn850, Samsung 980Pro)

For Video Files:                        1TB Gen3 M.2 (WD Black SN750, Samsung 970 Evo Plus)

For Games & Bulk / old vids:    2TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda)

4 hours ago, KKLawrence said:

I have the same Motherboard, an RX6700XT and one PCIe Gen4 M.2, PCIe Gen3 M.2 & Sata SSD and also two HDD's

If you just want game storage, an HDD will serve you just fine. SSD's are nice, but you can get a 2TB HDD for 50€ and have space for days, together with a 1TB Gen4 M.2 you'll have a great package.

If you want to go full SSD, you can also skimp down on the second drive. A good boot drive (gen4) and then something like the crucial P2 or WD Blue Sn550. They are most of the times cheaper you'll get 1 TB for 90-100€ in Germany. 1TB in Sata will cost you 85-100€ and therefore I don't think it's worth it, when you get way faster SSD's for just a few bucks more.

For Video files you want fast storage, so maybe after considering I'll suggest this:

For Boot & important files:        1TB Gen4 M.2 (WD Black Sn850, Samsung 980Pro)

For Video Files:                        1TB Gen3 M.2 (WD Black SN750, Samsung 970 Evo Plus)

For Games & Bulk / old vids:    2TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda)

That is exactly what i'm gonna do I guess, minus the HDD because I have a NAS for storage, people really reassured me about the heating question, you included since you seem to have the same setup except for the GPU, and also about the bandwith non-issue.

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Jorban said:

That has nothing to do with some M.2's having direct CPU access, and then some being transfered through the SATA Controller...

The motherboard specs are quite clear: with a 5000 cpu installed the motherboard provides a 4 lane PCIe 4.0 m.2 connection. (These lanes are by definition backwards compatible with PCIe 3.0.)

"Storage Interface

1 x M.2 connector (M2A_CPU), integrated in the CPU, supporting Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SSDs:

3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors support SATA and PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSDs

3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics processors support SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSDs

1 x M.2 connector (M2B_SB), integrated in the Chipset, supporting Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SSDs:

support PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSDs

6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors, integrated in the Chipset:

Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10"