Slow folder loading time and transfer speeds when connecting phone to pc

TomvanWijnen
Go to solution Solved by TomvanWijnen,
On 9/23/2021 at 12:35 AM, MR H. said:

That happens to me too, I just use my 5Ghz network to share my internal storage over FTP, it's a lot faster聽

I downloaded an FTP server app for my phone (WiFi FTP Server), and first tried it with Windows Explorer. It timed out after 30 seconds or so.聽馃檭聽I then tried, by recommendation from a friend, Filezilla, but it also timed out after 20 seconds... fortunately, I could disable this in the settings, allowing it to load longer, and tadaa, in a few minutes it had loaded the entire camera folder. The copying of the files themselves also seemed to go significantly fasted than via USB. I'm very happy. 馃檪

Hello,

For a while, this has bothered me, but with my increasing camera folder size, it's becoming more and more unusable. When I connect my OnePlus 7 Pro phone to my Windows 10 pc to transfer pictures, it takes tens of minutes for Windows Explorer to load the contents of my聽camera folder. When it's finally done (if it hasn't randomly stopped working in the meantime, which it sometimes does...), the actual transfer speeds also don't seem up to USB 3.0 spec (the phone is connected with a USB 3.0 usb C cable).

Is there a way to speed this process up? I'm especially looking to fix the ginormous folder loading times, as that's the most cumbersome.

Thanks in advance. 馃檪

PC SPECS:聽CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz -聽Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77)聽-聽GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB聽-聽RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB -聽Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -聽PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular聽聽-聽Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D聽聽-聽OS: Windows 7

5 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Hello,

For a while, this has bothered me, but with my increasing camera folder size, it's becoming more and more unusable. When I connect my OnePlus 7 Pro phone to my Windows 10 pc to transfer pictures, it takes tens of minutes for Windows Explorer to load the contents of my聽camera folder. When it's finally done (if it hasn't randomly stopped working in the meantime, which it sometimes does...), the actual transfer speeds also don't seem up to USB 3.0 spec (the phone is connected with a USB 3.0 usb C cable).

Is there a way to speed this process up? I'm especially looking to fix the ginormous folder loading times, as that's the most cumbersome.

Thanks in advance. 馃檪

most phones are only wired for usb 2.0 even though they use type-c. the cable isnt your problem, its a digital signal, it either works or it doesnt.

8 minutes ago, SiliconMagician said:

most phones are only wired for usb 2.0 even though they use type-c. the cable isnt your problem, its a digital signal, it either works or it doesnt.

According to the specifications list, it's USB 3.1, so that shouldn't be the issue. And even so, even at slower speeds, I don't think the loading of the folder should take multiple tens of minutes.

I've tried multiple cables indeed, but this doesn't change much.

PC SPECS:聽CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz -聽Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77)聽-聽GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB聽-聽RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB -聽Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -聽PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular聽聽-聽Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D聽聽-聽OS: Windows 7

That happens to me too, I just use my 5Ghz network to share my internal storage over FTP, it's a lot faster聽

Usually on the phone box you get a type c cable but it's 2.0

4 minutes ago, MR H. said:

Usually on the phone box you get a type c cable but it's 2.0

Yes, I specifically bought a separate USB 3.0 cable to transfer files more quickly.聽:old-tongue:

5 minutes ago, MR H. said:

That happens to me too, I just use my 5Ghz network to share my internal storage over FTP, it's a lot faster

That sounds interesting. How do you do that / what programs/apps do you use to do that?

5 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

According to the specifications list, it's USB 3.1, so that shouldn't be the issue. And even so, even at slower speeds, I don't think the loading of the folder should take multiple tens of minutes.

I've tried multiple cables indeed, but this doesn't change much.

im at a loss on that one.聽

On 9/23/2021 at 12:35 AM, MR H. said:

I downloaded an FTP server app for my phone (WiFi FTP Server), and first tried it with Windows Explorer. It timed out after 30 seconds or so.聽馃檭聽I then tried, by recommendation from a friend, Filezilla, but it also timed out after 20 seconds... fortunately, I could disable this in the settings, allowing it to load longer, and tadaa, in a few minutes it had loaded the entire camera folder. The copying of the files themselves also seemed to go significantly fasted than via USB. I'm very happy. 馃檪

20 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

i'm using filezilla as client on the PC and the "files" app from xiaomi

BUt yes, over 5Ghz it's faster

And if you ahve a lot of small聽files, you can increase the files downloaded at same time to 10

1 hour ago, MR H. said:

And if you ahve a lot of small聽files, you can increase the files downloaded at same time to 10

Ah, cool, thanks for the tip!

On 9/22/2021 at 5:51 PM, TomvanWijnen said:

I recently ran into this. So oddly enough across all the devices I have this had never been an issue until I went to recently fix something on my wife's phone. Linux, Windows, didn't matter, it didn't like her 1000s of pictures in single folders. It transfered so slow. Even though it literally transfered 30 GB of movies / music fine. The solution for me ended up being ADB.聽聽A simple ADB push command and what was saying it would take take hours and hours ended up taking 8 minutes. (adb pull would get it on the PC)