GTX 970 Reference card?, can I upgrade fans or heat assemblies

joecomp2000

hello:

well give the card shortage, I bought a used gtx 970 blower style . It is not that great for gaming but it solidly beats nothing. Anyhow, I never like blower style. I looked it up at the tech power page, and it appears that this pny gtx 970 has a generic board. (pg401 ) . From what I can see most of the board listed are pg401. Does that mean I can buy any used broken 970 and just mount the heat sink assembly/ fan on the board?

or is there any gotcha I have to look out for . any one have any experience with this.... Give the age of the 970 , I think there would be a lot of them at out there.

although looking on ebay, a broken or dead 970 is going for as high as $35

Joe

Not any used broken 970, but any model you can confirm is using the same board as the reference model. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Cards with reference boards but custom coolers don't always have the same fan headers, so it's possible but not a guarantee that they'll work. Try looking for PCB pictures of your card and the card you want to use to replace the cooler to check compatibility. TechPowerUp's GPU database is a good place to start, otherwise Google.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

tech power db was where I was looking, I notice that evga had the same board and seem to have the same fan connector. .. great thing about old cards is there is a video on youtube on how to replace the thermal paste. so you can get a fairly good look at the assembly . I did notice that the ram appears to be on different sides of the board though

figures, I bought the 970 last week, and today I win the newegg shuffle just the card 3060 ti