My NVMe is detected in BIOS but not in Disk Management... HALP!!!

Glitter
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Windows can be a bit weird with drives in my experience, I would try loading up a live USB of Ubuntu to try to get it up and running. Linux tends to be far more stable when it comes to getting drives working.

Boot into the Live USB and close out of the installer, either by hitting demo mode or something along those lines (it's been a while since I've installed base Ubuntu). Once done, open up GParted and see if the drive shows up in there. If it does, try to get it partitioned through there, selecting NTFS for the file type. If it doesn't show up or work, it's time to head to the command line to format it. 

Open up a terminal and run the command:

sudo fdisk -l

This will list all the drives on the system, so make sure yours shows up. It will be something like /dev/nvme0n1. Once the drive is there, run the command:

sudo fdisk /dev/nvme0n1 #replace /dev/nvme0n1 with your drive path

Afterwards, follow the instructions to get the drive initialized and partitioned. Just one large partition is fine.

Once the drive is partitioned, run this command to put a file system on the drive.

mkfs.ntfs /dev/nvme0n1p1 #replace /dev/nvme0n1p1 with your correct drive partition path

This will format the drive with the NTFS filesystem, the one used natively by Windows. If everything worked out, you can now reboot into windows and the drive should be detected. 

I have a Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard. I have 2 1 TB HDDs attached to it and just recently bought a 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD that I have attached in the M.2 slot in my motherboard.

When I go into my BIOS I can see the SSD, everything looks fine. But then when I log into my Windows it is nowhere to be seen. Can't find it in Disk Management, tried using my command prompt but it isn't there either, I do see it in Device Manager and checked for updates but apparently it is up to date, and my WIN10 is too. 

I feel like I have tried everything. I was told that I cannot use the NVMe with a SATA SSD at the same time, so I unplugged the 150GB SSD we had in the computer and still it is not working. 

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I am just at a complete loss at this point. 

Thank you ♥

Windows can be a bit weird with drives in my experience, I would try loading up a live USB of Ubuntu to try to get it up and running. Linux tends to be far more stable when it comes to getting drives working.

Boot into the Live USB and close out of the installer, either by hitting demo mode or something along those lines (it's been a while since I've installed base Ubuntu). Once done, open up GParted and see if the drive shows up in there. If it does, try to get it partitioned through there, selecting NTFS for the file type. If it doesn't show up or work, it's time to head to the command line to format it. 

sudo fdisk -l

This will list all the drives on the system, so make sure yours shows up. It will be something like /dev/nvme0n1. Once the drive is there, run the command:

Afterwards, follow the instructions to get the drive initialized and partitioned. Just one large partition is fine.

Once the drive is partitioned, run this command to put a file system on the drive.

mkfs.ntfs /dev/nvme0n1p1 #replace /dev/nvme0n1p1 with your correct drive partition path

This will format the drive with the NTFS filesystem, the one used natively by Windows. If everything worked out, you can now reboot into windows and the drive should be detected. 

24 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

sudo fdisk -l

I really appreciate your reply, but I don't really want to change my OS, and am afraid of losing all of my data. Is there any other solution that doesn't involve switching from Windows? 

EDIT: I see you said to use a USB, my main concern is definitely losing my data though because the drive that Windows is on contains a lot of important documents. I suppose I could move all of my files onto a USB and reload them onto my computer once everything is said and done. But I would like to know if there are any other options first. Thank you again for your reply, if it comes down to this I will try it. 😄

Edited by Glitter

Are you using RAID with your 2 1TB drives? Or is your controller set to RAID mode?   If so you may have to create a volume in the RAID manager for the NVMe drive.  Otherwise it should work, it only disabled Sata port 1, if you plug in a Sata m.2 drive not an NVMe m.2 drive.

Just now, Allan B said:

Are you using RAID with your 2 1TB drives? Or is your controller set to RAID mode?   If so you may have to create a volume in the RAID manager for the NVMe drive.  Otherwise it should work, it only disabled Sata port 1, if you plug in a Sata m.2 drive not an NVMe m.2 drive.

No I have RAID disabled and there is nothing plugged into SATA 1

A few things to try..

• check device manager, any devices missing drivers or disabled?
  • in an "admin" command problem type "diskpart" and then type "list disk" how many drives does it show?
  • what type of CPU do you have installed?
  • have you updated the BIOS on the motherboard?
  • check windows "optional updates" any drivers listed to install....

The SSD does show up in the device manager, and says it's working properly but when I go to events it says "present: false" 

Command prompt only shows the hard drives.

I have Intel i5 9600k CPU

I have not updated BIOS yet, have to buy a USB that works tonight since I just found out apparently mine no longer works 😑

There are two optional updates for drivers which I attached a picture of the descriptions. Not sure if either would make a difference. 

updates.PNG

24 minutes ago, Glitter said:

I really appreciate your reply, but I don't really want to change my OS, and am afraid of losing all of my data. Is there any other solution that doesn't involve switching from Windows? 

EDIT: I see you said to use a USB, my main concern is definitely losing my data though because the drive that Windows is on contains a lot of important documents. I suppose I could move all of my files onto a USB and reload them onto my computer once everything is said and done. But I would like to know if there are any other options first. Thank you again for your reply, if it comes down to this I will try it. 😄

Using a live USB has no risk of wiping your drive as long as you don't hit "install" or format the wrong drive.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Using a live USB has no risk of wiping your drive as long as you don't hit "install" or format the wrong drive.

Ok thank you for that. I will have to get a new USB tonight and try it. Of course the day I really need it, I find out the one I have no longer works. 😂 It's what I get for keeping the same USB for 12 years I guess. 

I appreciate you. ♥

11 minutes ago, Glitter said:

The SSD does show up in the device manager, and says it's working properly but when I go to events it says "present: false" 

Command prompt only shows the hard drives.

I have Intel i5 9600k CPU

I have not updated BIOS yet, have to buy a USB that works tonight since I just found out apparently mine no longer works 😑

There are two optional updates for drivers which I attached a picture of the descriptions. Not sure if either would make a difference. 

updates.PNG

I would load the second option there, the PCIe Controller driver and also try the BIOS update, after that maybe try installing the WD SSD software and see what is says (https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279).  

13 minutes ago, Allan B said:

I would load the second option there, the PCIe Controller driver and also try the BIOS update, after that maybe try installing the WD SSD software and see what is says (https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279).  

Did both, dashboard says the same thing it always did, SSD is still not detected. I'm a sad panda

SSD dash.PNG

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

sudo fdisk -l

IT WORKED!! IT WORKED!! ♥♥♥ Thank you sooooo much!!!!

1 minute ago, Glitter said:

IT WORKED!! IT WORKED!! ♥♥♥ Thank you sooooo much!!!!

This is half the reason why I always have at least one live USB of Linux around, the drive management and everything is phenomenal compared to Windows. I've had this happen more than once, including with an SSD that the system would fail to boot if it was plugged in. The solution was basically what I described to you.  

• 2 weeks later...