Screen tearing with G-Sync

Bomdur

Hi i've starting noticing Screen tearing when playing.
I've G-Sync on from Nvidia panel (i've a 3070ti)
I've G-Sync on in my monitor (VG27AQ using Display Port)

Is it normal? did i miss an option somewhere? maybe i've something on that interfiere with g-sync?

EDIT: I also updated my drivers but the problem persist

One thing to note is that gsync only works when your fps is lower than your refreshrate so let's say you have a 144hz monitor and your fps is 160 well in that case gsync won't stop screen tearing. Usually people enable fps limiters to avoid this issue or you can use fast sync alongside gsync as well. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

One thing to note is that gsync only works when your fps is lower than your refreshrate so let's say you have a 144hz monitor and your fps is 160 well in that case gsync won't stop screen tearing. Usually people enable fps limiters to avoid this issue or you can use fast sync alongside gsync as well. 

I just found a solution which is the opposite xD... In one game was to set the fps limiter to 144hz or off (It was set as 120 since its my avg fps in that game)... In the other one was to set it off completely

53 minutes ago, Bomdur said:

generally gsync on vsync off with hard fps limit works for me, though having 2 different refresh rate monitors is weird, just try different settings.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Been a Gsync user since 2017 with a PG348Q (100Hz, true Gsync module). 

I play all my games in true fullscreen mode with a framerate cap of 98fps. 

Been doing this for years with not a single problem.

Just now, rickeo said:

Been doing this for years with not a single problem. I've seen people say also suggesting enabling Vsync but the games feel terrible when I do. No need and I get zero tearing.

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Been doing this for years with not a single problem.

Yes setting the FPS Cap below does the trick... capping above or equals cause screen tearing... But turning off fps cap also fixed the problem (at least for me)

11 hours ago, Bomdur said:

Yes setting the FPS Cap below does the trick... capping above or equals cause screen tearing... But turning off fps cap also fixed the problem (at least for me)

Could be running fastsync which when enabled stops screen tearing or it could just be normal vsync kicking. 

13 hours ago, xg32 said:

though having 2 different refresh rate monitors is weird, just try different settings.

It's not a problem for G-Sync. I always have 2 monitors that differ in resolution and refresh rate and both can run G-Sync simultaneously without issues on either of them. And it worked with multiple other setups in the past for me.

With these settings i have not seen any tearing in any game since i started using G-Sync a few years back:

- Enable G-Sync (or compatibility) in your NVCP (Nvidia Control Panel) for windowed AND fullscreen mode.

- Go to 3D settings

- Enable the global fps limiter and set it to 1 lower than your monitors max refresh rate (143 for a 144Hz monitor)

- Set preferred monitor technology to "G-Sync" or "G-Sync compatible"

- Enable V-Sync in NVCP

(- not really for G-Sync but still recommended imo: set Low Latency mode to "Ultra")

Now just disable V-Sync in your ingame settings and you're good to go. If it still doesn't work and you still see tearing, then your monitor might not be G-Sync compatible. Even G-Sync compatibility is no guarantee that G-Sync will work flawlessly. I've seen many examples of G-Sync related issues even on certified monitors like the Samsung G7 for example.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.