C Force Portable Displays - "Ctools" for windows

Dr.W

Hey team!,

I recently purchased: C-FORCE Display CF011X Pro4 15.6-inch UHD 4K IPS 8 bit USB-C HDMI 3840x2160 Screen 60Hz with USB-C RadomPlug Monitor for Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, Mac, S20 : Amazon.ca: Electronics

I have trouble getting my computer to output video to the screen with the included usb-c cable. My computer is IdeaPad_Flex_5_14ARE05_Spec.PDF (lenovo.com). So i have a usb 3.1 gen 2 that supports PD and data transfer. When i connect the device, i notice my device manager identifies "USB Serial" a device with no more info. This device goes away when I disconnect the usb cable. My question pertains to how do I get the proper drivers. Window search online provides no drivers. On the C force website, i find this thing called Ctools for windows as well as PD08 for windows. Are any of these correct? And Is It Safe?  I downloaded the Ctool for windows, and i tried to open the compressed file but my computer basically told me it was a virus.  The .exe file isn't recognized.

If anyone got this working please let me know. The owners manual is pure garbage! Doesn't even seem to be from the same device as they reference an indicator light multiple times but there is none on the monitor. 

Thanks guys!

23 minutes ago, Dr.W said:

PD and data transfer.

If I recall correctly the USB port needs to support video as well. Not all do and I think that while 3.1 Gen 2 CAN, I think it depends on the USB controller on the motherboard if its capable. Lenovo clearly states PD delivery and Data. So Im not sure if its capable to do video as well. 

According to the Amazon listing this monitor should have a HDMI port. Have you tried that to test it? 

Edit: According to Lenovo this computer can support dual displays, with one being the built in screen and the other being the HDMI connected screen. I figure they would have included if the USB C port was capable of doing Video out. 

Edited by Donut417

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks Donut,

Ya the hdmi port works fine. The computer knows the screen is 4k and the laptop is 1080p so down regulation gets a little funny (the icons built into the taskbar show up as tiny). This c force one was only $50 bucks more than the non-4k Asus (with good reviews) so I thought I was doing a bit of future proofing. 

If i get a different brand that is 1080p over usb-c then Ill have the same result because we surmise “data” doesn’t mean video? 

26 minutes ago, Dr.W said:

data” doesn’t mean video? 

Data just means data. This has been the bane of existence for Type C. As not all type c ports support video. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.