Windows 10 laptop doesn't shut down completely and need help determining why.

cwgzz

So I have a laptop running Windows 10, and when I click the "shut down" button from the start menu, it shuts down then I close the lid. The moment I open the lid, the laptop turns on and boots up. I tried to do a google search for this but couldn't find anything on how to fix this. The problem is that while the laptop is "shut down" it still drains the battery. I don't use this laptop a lot because I have my main computer that I use, but about 3 or 4 times a week I will use this laptop to watch Netflix or something, and the battery is completely drained. So I tested this. I shut down the laptop. closed the lid, and 5 hours later, the battery was from 100% down to 22%... so the laptop basically goes to sleep mode and I can't figure out exactly how to really shut down the laptop and opening the lid doesn't turn on the laptop... any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

try changing the lid options to "do nothing" for battery and on charge, it's under power management settings. might also check bios settings to see if there is anything to be changed to fix the issue.

Shutdown on Windows isn't what shutdown used to mean, it's more of a hibernate state. But that still doesn't mean it should drain significantly more battery. Battery drain while turned off is normal, sometimes even drastic drain, that can depend a lot on the battery health. Opening the lid to power on is a feature on many new laptops so it most likely is not going into a sleep mode of sorts. There are methods to properly shutdown windows, see here, but I wouldn't expect a significant power saving using them.

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

try changing the lid options to "do nothing" for battery and on charge, it's under power management settings. might also check bios settings to see if there is anything to be changed to fix the issue.

I did both and still doens't work. That's why I am so confused. I don't understand at all. 

3 minutes ago, mail929 said:

Shutdown on Windows isn't what shutdown used to mean, it's more of a hibernate state. But that still doesn't mean it should drain significantly more battery. Battery drain while turned off is normal, sometimes even drastic drain, that can depend a lot on the battery health. Opening the lid to power on is a feature on many new laptops so it most likely is not going into a sleep mode of sorts. There are methods to properly shutdown windows, see here, but I wouldn't expect a significant power saving using them.

This I have also tried and still doesn't work. I don't understand the point of this feature. They shouldn't call it "shut down" if it really isn't shutting down the laptop. 

3 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

I did both and still doens't work. That's why I am so confused. I don't understand at all. 

What laptop is it and how old is it? Could be an ACPI issue.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Just now, ImAlsoRan said:

What laptop is it and how old is it? Could be an ACPI issue.

It is a Dell laptop and it's fairly new. The manufacture date is 2019

5 minutes ago, mail929 said:

This is kind of true, but "shutting down" does, in fact, turn your computer off. It caches parts of the kernel on the hard drive so it doesn't have to reinitialize it on startup. It's called "fast startup" and can be disabled if you wish. This feature doesn't take any power since the system is off and since it's on a hard drive & not RAM, there's no power required. The only actual downside is that if there's an issue, it could possibly persist, but even then, Windows treats a restart as a clear of this cache.

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

1 hour ago, cwgzz said:

So I have a laptop running Windows 10, and when I click the "shut down" button from the start menu, it shuts down then I close the lid. The moment I open the lid, the laptop turns on and boots up. I tried to do a google search for this but couldn't find anything on how to fix this. The problem is that while the laptop is "shut down" it still drains the battery. I don't use this laptop a lot because I have my main computer that I use, but about 3 or 4 times a week I will use this laptop to watch Netflix or something, and the battery is completely drained. So I tested this. I shut down the laptop. closed the lid, and 5 hours later, the battery was from 100% down to 22%... so the laptop basically goes to sleep mode and I can't figure out exactly how to really shut down the laptop and opening the lid doesn't turn on the laptop... any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Have you tried holding shift when clicking shut-down in the start menu? I believe the default shutdown is actually more of a hibernate which allows for fast startups. Shift clicking shut-down will perform a full shutdown. 

38 minutes ago, danomicar said:

Have you tried holding shift when clicking shut-down in the start menu? I believe the default shutdown is actually more of a hibernate which allows for fast startups. Shift clicking shut-down will perform a full shutdown. 

This only affects startup. Shutdown still powers the PC down. Hibernation is different from sleep mode, in which hibernation saves the RAM on your hard drive for long-term access instead of keeping it in RAM