Bring me out of the early 2010's. i5 build upgrade advice...

kburn

Budget (including currency): $1000 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Current titles like what's on game pass occasionally, Photoshop, Astro photo processing

Other details 

Existing Build:

i5 4670K OC'd to 4. something

Gigabyte UD-something something motherboard (doesn't matter for this discussion)

16Gb DDR3

RTX2080

Corsair RM650

Fractal Define R3 case

Alienware 3440x1440 ultrawide

Hi everyone.  I've been thinking of bringing my PC up to date.  Pandemic hobby pickup was astrophotography, and the demands on the CPU for processing hundreds of exposures, then processing them in gimp/photoshop has me yearning for more cores.  The more the better.  My 8th gen, 8 core work laptop puts my desktop to shame with this.  Ryzen is very appealing in this respect, but the series names and model numbers are a little confusing.  For the upgrade I'm looking at ripping out the MB, CPU, RAM and I'm assuming the power supply as well.  Not sure 650W is within comfortable margins.  Within the realm of $1000 +/- a couple of hundred is my hope, if possible.  

I've considered trying to grab an i7 4770K to double my threads, but this is more fun.

Really just looking for advice on part numbers to spec, with concentration on cores/threads and enough horsepower to run the odd game smoothly.  

Edit: Thanks very much!

With a 1000$ budget and you already have a 2080, I mean sky’s the limit here.

I would suggest a better psu simply on the grounds that you have the means to upgrade with said budget anyway, potentially opening the door for some more hefty overclocking. But, it’s fine for an rtx 2080.

Look for a Ryzen 7 5800X on a decent X570 motherboard, 16 or 32gb of 3600mhz or higher ddr4, depending on what you expect to need. Put a decent cooler on there like a bequiet dark rock pro 4, and anything left in the budget look at a potential psu upgrade, though it’s not needed, depending on what you get if you end up with the money for something like an RM850X or any other decent 80+ gold 750-850w psu, might as well.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

With a 1000$ budget and you already have a 2080, I mean sky’s the limit here.

I would suggest a better psu simply on the grounds that you have the means to upgrade with said budget anyway, potentially opening the door for some more hefty overclocking. But, it’s fine for an rtx 2080.

Look for a Ryzen 7 5800X on a decent X570 motherboard, 16 or 32gb of 3600mhz or higher ddr4, depending on what you expect to need. Put a decent cooler on there like a bequiet dark rock pro 4, and anything left in the budget look at a potential psu upgrade, though it’s not needed, depending on what you get if you end up with the money for something like an RM850X or any other decent 80+ gold 750-850w psu, might as well.

Wow, you're fast!

I'm going to skip the RM series this time.  Mine has some coil whine that has always bothered me.  I'm thinking EVGA or Seasonic.  Thanks for the input!  I'll check thse out on pc part picker.

For this budget you can probably go for a 5900X if you really need the CPU horsepower

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VNTzqp

You probably don't need the PSU upgrade, but since you were saying that you have bad coil whine it might be worth it to you. I would consider, if you don't do the PSU upgrade, getting faster memory (3600 CL16), but this is still honestly fine, I was just trying to get you closer to your budget, while still having 32GB and a good board with good VRMs. 

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For this budget you can probably go for a 5900X if you really need the CPU horsepower

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VNTzqp

You probably don't need the PSU upgrade, but since you were saying that you have bad coil whine it might be worth it to you. I would consider, if you don't do the PSU upgrade, getting faster memory (3600 CL16), but this is still honestly fine, I was just trying to get you closer to your budget, while still having 32GB and a good board with good VRMs. 

Um... that's $700.. Even the 5800X mentioned above is $500.  I'm in Cana-derp. 🙂 RIP  appreciate the recommendation though

Edit: I clicked your build link instead of just looking up the 5900X locally.... my god you guys have insane price differences down there!  I appreciate the time you took to build that!  Jealous.

You don't need to upgrade just yet wait for DDR5 platforms to emerge and then go for a 8 core 16 thread CPU.

2 hours ago, kburn said:

Um... that's $700.. Even the 5800X mentioned above is $500.  I'm in Cana-derp. 🙂 RIP  appreciate the recommendation though

Edit: I clicked your build link instead of just looking up the 5900X locally.... my god you guys have insane price differences down there!  I appreciate the time you took to build that!  Jealous.

Missed the part where you said Canada lol. Prices are definitely a lot better down here.

13 hours ago, Rameares said:

You don't need to upgrade just yet wait for DDR5 platforms to emerge and then go for a 8 core 16 thread CPU.

When is this supposed to happen?

Intel 12th gen will support it. There are leaks/rumors that will happen on the 19th November 2021.

18 hours ago, kburn said:

Pandemic hobby pickup was astrophotography, and the demands on the CPU for processing hundreds of exposures, then processing them in gimp/photoshop has me yearning for more cores.

For your use case, I still think Ryzen 9 5900X will be better (maybe even 5950X) than the upcoming Intel series. The upcoming series is a hybrid architecture, big, little cores. There might be some growing pains as you will need to go into Windows 11 and we all know new windows is buggy af. Many programs might also not be able to effectively use the p and e cores efficiently for a while. And honestly I think 12 regular cores on ryzen will be better than Intel's i9 8p + 8e cores in general. DDR5 is probably going to be really expensive on first release as well.

Getting at least 32GB (maybe 64) will help out as well so the CPU doesn't need to do memory swapping if it runs out of ram. Although my suggestions are way out of your budget most likely.

Intel 10th gen might best for your budget, you can go with something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($549.98 @ Newegg Canada) (could go down to 10900f, saves about $100)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($139.94 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($264.00 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($169.99 @ Memory Express) 
Total: $1123.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-22 13:08 EDT-0400

Alternatively, you can go with others suggestion for 5800X. I think it has better multithreaded performance than the 10850K even though it has less cores. Also if 5800X is too steep, you can go with 10700f which is the best value 8 core imo.

Example parts:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B560 TORPEDO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($194.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($169.99 @ Memory Express) 
Total: $793.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-22 13:15 EDT-0400

Edited by Jonathan Lee
had the wrong part on one list