Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can my motherboard support this processor?

Go to solution Solved by Jorban,

I am unsure what you are planning for.
If you're expecting the motherboard that you are running now to run DDR4 and be able to support an i5-6600k you'd be sorely wrong.
They both run very different chipsets and sockets.
The 6600K runs on LGA 1151
While the 3350P runs on LGA 1155

The 3350P doesn't support DDR4 or DDR3L.
The 6600K only supports DDR3L & DDR4.

Any motherboard running the LGA 1151 socket will be fine for the CPU, just make sure that it has overclocking enabled so that you can take full advantage of the chip.

So I have an ASUS Motherboard CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830-8 and I'm planning on upgrading the processor on my pc. I can and possibly will get my friends old CPU which is a i5 6600k. The problem is that I don't know if my motherboard supports it. The current processor is an i5 3350p Which is getting painfully slow, because this pc has been in use for years. If my motherboard cant support the CPU what else do I need to upgrade on my pc other than the ram to Ddr4 and my motherboard to the supported one?

3350p is socket 1155, 6600k is socket 1151, so not compatible. so you would need a 100 or 200 chipset mobo, and new ram, also possibly a new cooler depending on if you have one that works already or not.

Get yourself a Ryzen 5 (1600AF) or 7 (1700) on a B450 mainboard (from an A-brand) with 2x 8GB RAM. The performance uplift will be exceptional compared to what you now have. :old-surprised:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I am unsure what you are planning for.
If you're expecting the motherboard that you are running now to run DDR4 and be able to support an i5-6600k you'd be sorely wrong.
They both run very different chipsets and sockets.
The 6600K runs on LGA 1151
While the 3350P runs on LGA 1155

The 3350P doesn't support DDR4 or DDR3L.
The 6600K only supports DDR3L & DDR4.

Any motherboard running the LGA 1151 socket will be fine for the CPU, just make sure that it has overclocking enabled so that you can take full advantage of the chip.

The Big UwU - Wise Words
1. PSU Wattage =/= PSU Quality
80+ Certification doesn't mean shit.
2. Don't cheap out on the heart of your system.

"B-b-but it was 20$ @ 800w, it was a steal!!" - An idiot with a dead PC.
3. Do not buy for brand, buy for the product.

Every company makes their fair line of garbage.

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

Hey all thanks for the information! I'm looking forward on buying a motherboard that has the LGA 1151 socket as well as new ram because I currently have DDR3 installed.

3 minutes ago, rauskiz said:

Hey all thanks for the information! I'm looking forward on buying a motherboard that has the LGA 1151 socket as well as new ram because I currently have DDR3 installed.

Just make sure to buy two of the same sticks, so a kit of 2x8gb sticks would work perfectly.
If you ever need any more information when it comes to the 6600K you can refer to Intel's ARK page.

I would also make sure that you are running a pretty decent cooler for the thing.
Arctic eSports Duo / Scythe Fuma 2 are good choices.

The Big UwU - Wise Words
1. PSU Wattage =/= PSU Quality
80+ Certification doesn't mean shit.
2. Don't cheap out on the heart of your system.

"B-b-but it was 20$ @ 800w, it was a steal!!" - An idiot with a dead PC.
3. Do not buy for brand, buy for the product.

Every company makes their fair line of garbage.

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)