Help! Asrock Z590M Pro MB and Corsair HX850 PSU EPS Power connector problem

Gregg140

Hello,

I'm trying to build a Desktop using the Asrock Z590M Pro4 motherboard and a Corsair HX850 PSU.

The problem is with the 8 pin EPS power connection on the MB (labeled ATX12 V1)  It's an 8 pin power connector.

I have an 8 pin power connector on my Corsair labeled CPU,  HX850 but the shape of the pins (square or rounded)  is not the same.

I can break the 8 pin into a 4 pin and there is one position starting with pin 1 where the shapes are right.

In the attached photo I can fit the left half (4) of the connector at the top to the right half of ATX12V1.

But It seems very strange that there is a shape mismatch.

Any thoughts or clues? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Gregg

EPS_Power_2.jpg

CPU power is ATX 12v is EPS is 4+4, etc etc. 

You have the appropriate connector for the appropriate socket so go for it. The PSU and the motherboard both adhere to the ATX standard. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

31 minutes ago, Gregg140 said:

Hello,

I'm trying to build a Desktop using the Asrock Z590M Pro4 motherboard and a Corsair HX850 PSU.

The problem is with the 8 pin EPS power connection on the MB (labeled ATX12 V1)  It's an 8 pin power connector.

I have an 8 pin power connector on my Corsair HX850 but the shape of the pins (square or rounded)  is not the same.

I can break the 8 pin into a 4 pin and there is one position starting with pin 1 where the shapes are right.

In the attached photo I can fit the left half (4) of the connector at the top to the right half of ATX12V1.

But It seems very strange that there is a shape mismatch.

Any thoughts or clues? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Gregg

EPS_Power_2.jpg

It's fine.  You're overthinking it.

Ok thanks all. I called Corsair and they said the same thing. They claim the shape of the pins is a holdover from bygone days and

don't really matter so long as you don't try to force a square pin into a rounded hole.

As for "overthinking" well....I'm careful about things and if it doesn't look like both sides match I stop and check.

Better than frying an expensive MB.

I'll be firing it up today.   We'll see how it goes.

System booted fine and is running well.

Thanks, everyone, for your help

6 hours ago, Gregg140 said:

Ok thanks all. I called Corsair and they said the same thing. They claim the shape of the pins is a holdover from bygone days

uhh... not quite.

If you split the 8 into two 4's, the 4-pin needs those "D" shaped pins in order to fit into the motherboard.