New Work PC for Father

IGS

I am looking to build my father a new PC since his 2014 HP Pavilion just went off to PC hell. I linked the build layout below.

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CTd8fP

Budget (including currency): Whatever I have. (so probably around $1k)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Basic computing and occasional file editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I already own the CPU and RAM, I am looking for feedback on whether this is a good choice for my father

Very confused - that pcpartpicker link is clearly not the specs of a 2014 HP Pavillion as the i5-8600 didn't release for another 3 years - 8th gen was 2017. But nobody in their right mind should be paying $300 for an i5-8600 today when the 10400f is available for $160.

What the build you've linked actually of?

EDIT SORRY JUST READ THE LAST BIT didn't realise you already owned the CPU.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Just now, tim0901 said:

Very confused - that pcpartpicker link is clearly not the specs of a 2014 HP Pavillion as the i5-8600 didn't release for another 3 years - 8th gen was 2017. But nobody in their right mind should be paying $300 for an i5-8600 today when the 10400f is available for $160.

lol the build i’m planning on building for him. 🙂

1 minute ago, tim0901 said:

That's probably the parts they're planning on upgrading to. Also, they already own the CPU listed. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I configured the price of the CPU and RAM to reflect that you already bought them

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/djsm68 

What is the purpose of the overkill CPU cooler? What is the purpose of the graphics card?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah had missed that last sentence...

A water cooler is massively overkill on that CPu - it's not even an unlocked chip so there's no need to go for anything fancy there. The stock intel heatsink would probably be just fine, or a Hyper 212 if you really want more cooling than that.

8TB is also a lot of storage - does your dad really need that much in the pc itself? If not then it may be a better choice to go for a smaller, cheaper drive and investing in a NAS running RAID, so that he has some redundancy should a drive fail.

Also again, depending on his work, does he actually need a GPU? That CPU has integrated graphics which, for general office use (or even stuff like Adobe through quick sync), is going to be perfectly fine. Given the price of GPUs right now I wouldn't shove one in there if you aren't 100% sure that it will be utilised.

2 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Yeah had missed that last sentence...

A water cooler is massively overkill on that cpu - it's not even an unlocked chip so there's no need to go for anything fancy there. The stock intel heatsink would probably be just fine, or a Hyper 212 if you really want more cooling than that.

8TB is also a lot of storage - does your dad really need that much in the pc itself? If not then it may be a better choice to go for a smaller, cheaper drive and investing in a NAS running RAID, so that he has some redundancy should a drive fail.

Also again, depending on his work, does he actually need a GPU? That cpu has integrated graphics which, for general office use (or even stuff like Adobe through quick sync), is going to be perfectly fine. Given the price of GPUs right now I wouldn't shove one in there if you aren't 100% sure that it will be utilised.

I picked the AIO for silence mainly. I picked 8tb for his Plex Media Server, so it gives him ample room for whatever he wants. The GPU was an afterthought in case he gets a monitor and wants to use something stronger. (he’s currently using a large VISIO TV for his monitor) Wasnt planning on getting it unless it was necessary.

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I configured the price of the CPU and RAM to reflect that you already bought them

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/djsm68 

What is the purpose of the overkill CPU cooler? What is the purpose of the graphics card?

CPU cooler was for quietness and the graphics card was an afterthought in case he wanted something stronger to use on a better monitor in case he gets one (he’s currently using a VISIO TV). I wasn’t gonna get it unless it was necessary

1 minute ago, IGS said:

I picked the AIO for silence mainly. I picked 8tb for his Plex Media Server, so it gives him ample room for whatever he wants. The GPU was an afterthought in case he gets a monitor and wants to use something stronger. (he’s currently using a large VISIO TV for his monitor) Wasnt planning on getting it unless it was necessary.

Wouldn't run Plex off of a desktop pc - the whole point of it is to be run off of a server, meaning you would need to leave the PC on the whole time. May as well just run it off of a NAS or a Raspberry Pi - so long as you're only streaming to a single user it works just fine and will cost you much less in the long run in terms of power consumption and hardware longevity (eg fan/pump bearings wearing out). Would recommend disabling transcoding if you do this as it can cause the stream to stutter depending on your source, but when you're in the home it is usually unnecessary anyway unless you're trying to send 50GB bluray rips.

GPU for a larger monitor is overkill. Integrated graphics can drive multiple displays at 4k no problem.

That CPU is going to be quiet anyway as it doesn't use much power - it's even possible that the AIO will be louder due to the noise from the pump. AIOs also need looking after and if things go wrong can cause big issues, which isn't something I'd want to put on my father in his work rig.

4 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Wouldn't run Plex off of a desktop pc - the whole point of it is to be run off of a server, meaning you would need to leave the PC on the whole time. May as well just run it off of a NAS or a Raspberry Pi - so long as you're only streaming to a single user it works just fine and will cost you much less in the long run in terms of power consumption and hardware longevity (eg fan/pump bearings wearing out). Would recommend disabling transcoding if you do this as it can cause the stream to stutter depending on your source, but when you're in the home it is usually unnecessary anyway unless you're trying to send 50GB bluray rips.

GPU for a larger monitor is overkill. Integrated graphics can drive multiple displays at 4k no problem.

That CPU is going to be quiet anyway as it doesn't use much power - it's even possible that the AIO will be louder due to the noise from the pump. AIOs also need looking after and if things go wrong can cause big issues, which isn't something I'd want to put on my father in his work rig.

He already ran his server off of the pavilion, and he keeps it on 24/7 (for some reason. probably boot times sucked ass) so i have no worries that will be an issue. Yeah the GPU is unessecary, but I already have it so when I get one to swap it out in my streaming PC i might slap it in there at some point. for the cooler, what do you recommend I get? the stock cooler died within a month of use in the build it came in, so I have no cooler for it, and I plan on using every inch of real estate in the case.

Just now, IGS said:

He already ran his server off of the pavilion, and he keeps it on 24/7 (for some reason. probably boot times sucked ass) so i have no worries that will be an issue. Yeah the GPU is unessecary, but I already have it so when I get one to swap it out in my streaming PC i might slap it in there at some point. for the cooler, what do you recommend I get? the stock cooler died within a month of use in the build it came in, so I have no cooler for it, and I plan on using every inch of real estate in the case.

Hyper 212 would be plenty for that CPU.

2 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Hyper 212 would be plenty for that CPU.

would it fit in the case? its an ITX build so clearance is a bigger issue. other than that I am willing to stick an air cooler into this thing

22 minutes ago, IGS said:

would it fit in the case? its an ITX build so clearance is a bigger issue. other than that I am willing to stick an air cooler into this thing

People online seem to be saying yes it will fit so long as you get the version with the mesh side panel, rather than the one with glass.

Other choices would be a low-profile cooler like the NH-L9i.