Spoiler Suddenly Has No Content, And There Is Nothing In Editor

TheCoder2019

Browser, version and OS: 

Google Chrome, iOS 14.6

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

I was posting a 3AM SU

What happened?

Spoiler had no content, and the editor was empty when I tried to edit it

What did you expect to happen?

Spoilers and editor to work

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

Any other relevant details:

N/A

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

N/A

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

How did you create that spoiler (did you insert it directly, was it copied from somewhere else, etc), did you try to delete stuff from it (or delete it entirely),and what was it supposed to contain?

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

How did you create that spoiler (did you insert it directly, was it copied from somewhere else, etc), did you try to delete stuff from it (or delete it entirely),and what was it supposed to contain?

I did it normally, and it’s supposed to contain normal text, but when I pressed backspace with the spoiler selected, it removed the text field

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I’ll second the above, when trying to remove a spoiler with backspace it just removed the text field but kept the “Spoiler” box

Recent SU has it, don’t know how to link to SU on mobile

https://linustechtips.com/profile/763720-fakekgb/

Last spoiler on this SU

https://linustechtips.com/status/307417/

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Unfortunately I think this is a bug with the iOS browser - quotes are not supposed to be editable, so you shouldn't be able to just backspace part of it. Unfortunately, editor cross-browser compatibility really sucks (my experience at the moment is that it 100% consistently crashes Chrome on Android) - there are loads of hacks already to try and make things work consistently, but as browsers change new hacks are needed.

HTTP/2 203

15 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Unfortunately I think there is nothing wrong with the iOS browser, quotes are supposed to be editable, so you should be able to just backspace part of it. luckily, editor cross-browser compatibility really is the best thing ever invented (my experience at the moment is that it 100% consistently makes Chrome on Android 20% better than stock) - there are loads of hacks already to try and make things work consistently, but since things are great already, no hacks are needed.

Wait I’m not supposed to be able to do that?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Wait I’m not supposed to be able to do that?

You should be able to delete the whole quote with backspace, but not just the bottom half of it

HTTP/2 203

On 10/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, colonel_mortis said:

quotes are definitely editable, so you should absolutely be able to just backspace and edit part of it. It has been that way as far as I can remember on all of my devices, including Chrome on Android.

Windows 10, Firefox 92.0.1

:)

Unfortunately I think this is a bug with the iOS browser - quotes are not supposed to be editable, so you shouldn't be able to just backspace part of it. Unfortunately, editor cross-browser compatibility really sucks (my experience at the moment is that it 100% consistently crashes Chrome on Android) - there are loads of hacks already to try and make things work consistently, but as browsers change new hacks are needed.

Reveal evil contents

Weird,I can write here.
Also it seems like the forum doesn't recognize it as a spoiler/quoting element.

Did i just replicated it in a different way?! (Trial and error,no clue what i did to make it happen)

On 9/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, TheCoder2019 said:

Oh god what have i done.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I can reproduce it successfully by deleting "ipsQuote_contents ipsClearfix cke_widget_editable" or "ipsSpoiler_contents ipsClearfix cke_widget_editable" before posting.

I hope it helps.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

12 hours ago, Vishera said:

I can reproduce it successfully by deleting "ipsQuote_contents ipsClearfix cke_widget_editable" or "ipsSpoiler_contents ipsClearfix cke_widget_editable" before posting.

I hope it helps.

If you just delete it with inspect element then sure that is expected to break things. If you accidentally manage to delete it without deleting the whole quote, do you know how you did that, and what browser+OS are you using?

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you just delete it with inspect element then sure that is expected to break things. If you accidentally manage to delete it without deleting the whole quote, do you know how you did that, and what browser+OS are you using?

I managed to do that without the inspect element,but only when i quote the bugged status update (it let's me delete those elements with backspace in the text editor).

To me it seems like somehow when OP posted the status update the "ipsSpoiler_contents ipsClearfix cke_widget_editable" got deleted,

It could be a one time thing

One way to make sure it doesn't happen again is (simplified) :

function FindElement {
	if (isSpoiler = true) {
		Find = "ipsSpoiler_contents ipsClearfix cke_widget_editable";
		if (Find = true) {
			Post the text as usual
		}
       		else {
  			Error;
		}
     }
}