Make it visible when someone already quoted a post

Stahlmann
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

The way quotes work, this isn't really possible, though it would be a nice feature if it were.

It often happens that i see a post, quote it and comment about it, then read a bit further in the thread just to see that someone else wrote exactly the same. Then i have to go back and edit my post so i don't look like an idiot. I shouldn't have to read through 5 pages worth of posts just to see if i'm repeating someone else.

It would be nice if there was something at the bottom of a post like

"quoted by Stahlmann"

or when multiple people quote it

"quoted by 5 users"

Kind of like the reactions work. Hovering your mouse over the number shows who quoted and it can take you to the post using the quote. Or maybe even showing a little preview just to see what the comment of the other user was without having to jump to it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Or you could just collect all quotes with multiquote, then read whole thread and post accordingly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Or you could just collect all quotes with multiquote, then read whole thread and post accordingly.

Sure, when the thread has just a few pages. But some threads are not just 2 pages long.

I think this functionality could save many users a lot of time.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Sure, when the thread has just a few pages. But some threads are not just 2 pages long.

I think this functionality could save many users a lot of time.

I fail to see point, for your example. Just someone quoting a post doesn't mean they will post about same thing, answer in same way or else. Adding X and 3 others quoted this post could have 4 different replies, and yours could also be very different from all of them. You would need some highlight feature to point out posts with selected post as quote. And I don't know if that even is beneficial to what you are looking for.

Usually this forum gets most of its posts during the time when I sleep, or am at work, I have had several times 5+ posts in multiquote of which I axe couple because they get answered by others.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

I fail to see point, for your example. Just someone quoting a post doesn't mean they will post about same thing, answer in same way or else. Adding X and 3 others quoted this post could have 4 different replies, and yours could also be very different from all of them. You would need some highlight feature to point out posts with selected post as quote. And I don't know if that even is beneficial to what you are looking for.

Usually this forum gets most of its posts during the time when I sleep, or am at work, I have had several times 5+ posts in multiquote of which I axe couple because they get answered by others.

My point is that i do not want to read the full thread if i just want to reply to 1 single post. I simply don't have the time to read multiple pages of content to see if my point is already being made by someone else. I only log into the forum sporadically to quickly check some sections out and then go do something else. Seeing that someone already cleared some misinformation without having to read pages of content would help me dedicate the small time windows i have for the forum to do something more useful.

It's clear you and me use the forum in very different ways when it comes to how often or how long you're logged in.

I suggested this feature because i'm fairly certain it would help me. And i'd bet quite a few other people too.

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

It often happens that i see a post, quote it and comment about it, then read a bit further in the thread just to see that someone else wrote exactly the same. Then i have to go back and edit my post so i don't look like an idiot.

Does it really matter if someone else gave a similar response previously? It usually doesn't hurt having multiple people share the same thoughts and opinions.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Does it really matter if someone else gave a similar response previously? It usually doesn't hurt having multiple people share the same thoughts and opinions.

It's kind of awkward to say what's already finished discussing sometimes

But then again, maybe you shouldn't jump into a discussion without reading the rest of the thread for full context

Or just post it, not like anyone's gonna hurt you for repeating the same point

It's a nice to have feature but I don't see it being very important, but I can see why one who doesn't wanna read thru a big thread would like to have (some tech news have five pages or more, and I ain't gonna read thru everything)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

My point is that i do not want to read the full thread if i just want to reply to 1 single post. I simply don't have the time to read multiple pages of content to see if my point is already being made by someone else. I only log into the forum sporadically to quickly check some sections out and then go do something else. Seeing that someone already cleared some misinformation without having to read pages of content would help me dedicate the small time windows i have for the forum to do something more useful.

It's clear you and me use the forum in very different ways when it comes to how often or how long you're logged in.

I suggested this feature because i'm fairly certain it would help me. And i'd bet quite a few other people too.

Tbf, I only now get what you are actually asking for. You don't want just counter for those who clicked quote-button or have quote in their post. You actually want to have links to the posts with quotes so you can read them and then decide what to say.  So not like reactions, but like notifications.

If it would be just reactions style, the information would be about same as with seeing how many replies thread has. You still wouldn't know if the content posted is same/similar to what you are gonna say.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv