Core i9-12900K "Destroys" Ryzen 9 5950X By 38% In Ashes of the Singularity

hysel

Summary

Intel's 12th Generation Alder Lake processors will soon see the light of day this Fall 2021. It appears that the flagship Core i9-12900K (via HXL) may give AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X a run for its money in gaming, according to the latest Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks. The hybrid chip had previously bested the Ryzen 9 5950X in Geekbench 5, too.

Quotes

Intel's 12th Generation Alder Lake processors will soon see the light of day this Fall 2021. It appears that the flagship Core i9-12900K (via HXL) may give AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X a run for its money in gaming, according to the latest Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks. The hybrid chip had previously bested the Ryzen 9 5950X in Geekbench 5, too.

Thanks to early retailer listings, the Core i9-12900K's specifications are already out there. The Alder Lake processor is expected to wield 16 cores in total, eight high performance Golden Cove cores and eight energy-efficient Gracemont cores. The 125W chip's other specifications include 30MB of L3 cache, a 3.2 GHz base clock and 5.2 GHz boost clock.

AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X, on the other hand, sports 16 Zen 3 cores with simultaneous multithreading (SMT) at 3.4 GHz with a boost clock speed of 4.9 GHz. The 105W processor also has 64MB of L3 cache at its disposal. On paper, AMD's chip seems to have the advantage since it's working with full-fledged Zen 3 cores whereas the Core i9-12900K has to work with just eight Golden Cove cores.

At the time of writing, there were 11 Core i9-12900K submissions in the Ashes of the Singularity database. The benchmark doesn't expose the complete specifications for the graphics card so we're unsure if the Core i9-12900K and GeForce RTX 3080 waere overclocked or whether they were under exotic cooling or not. Take the results with a pinch of salt. Furthemore, we don't know whether the user tested on Windows 11. Remember that Microsoft's next-generation operating system comes with an improved scheduler that's particularly optimized for Alder Lake.

The Core i9-12900K with a GeForce RTX 3080 scored 14,000 points with the High 1440p preset. By contrast, the Ryzen 9 5950X and a GeForce RTX 3080 scored 10,100 points with the same graphics preset and resolution. The Core i9-12900K outperformed the Ryzen 9 5950X by 38.6%. Both systems were using version 3.10.191346.0 of the benchmark tool so it should be a fair apples-to-apples comparison. Nevertheless, we have to highlight that fact that it's improbable that both users are using the same GeForce RTX 3080 so the actual performance margin between the Core i9-12900K and Ryzen 9 5950X could be bigger or smaller.

Despite its heterogeneous nature, the Core i9-12900K appears to pack a punch. However, Ashes of the Singularity is just one benchmark so it's too early to declare a winner. It'll be interesting to see whether the Core i9-12900K can recover the gaming throne for Intel as AMD practically has the best CPUs for gaming right now.

Gaming is good and all, but the Core i9-12900K has a tougher job ahead of it. The Alder Lake chip will have to prove whether it can hang with AMD's Zen 3 core-heavy Ryzen desktop chips in terms of application performance, which is more important for many consumers.

Alder Lake will launch this Fall 2021, but there are strong rumors that an announcement is allegedly scheduled for the Intel Innovation event, which runs from October 27 to 28.

My thoughts

The writer says it all, it is one Benchmark and not an industry standard one to begin with. 

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/core-i9-12900k-destroys-ryzen-9-5950x-38-percent-ashes-of-the-singularity

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Very interesting. But it'll be even more interesting to see how it does under realistic load.

And I have a feeling that AMD is having something cooking up as well and will reveal it the day after this chip officialy has launched 

4 minutes ago, hysel said:

And I have a feeling that AMD is having something cooking up as well and will reveal it the day after this chip officialy has launched 

I mean we have heard rumours about the 5600XT and 5950XT refreshed CPUs. Gaming loads wise single/low-count thread performance is important it seems, so the increase in frequency etc for the refreshes and likely the intel new gen can lead to such improvements.

In general it is nice to see the competition happening.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Tbf it *is* apples and oranges, the AMD is current gen, the intel is "next gen".

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

LOL
amd is getting hard carried here
I think intel might have planned for the alder lake release to be straight after windows release (october 8th) because many people will see they seemingly cannot update, and therefore buy a new pc to run windows 11 (and to intel's hope, their CPUs!)
just a theory tho

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

16 minutes ago, Mr-G-Man said:

LOL
amd is getting hard carried here
I think intel might have planned for the alder lake release to be straight after windows release (october 8th) because many people will see they seemingly cannot update, and therefore buy a new pc to run windows 11 (and to intel's hope, their CPUs!)
just a theory tho

If so, this is brilliant marketing scheme at the level of precognition 🙂 

Time will tell.

I just built a i9 10900kf. I did it because Alder Lake will need Windows 11 and other than a test rig I am not putting it into one of my gaming rigs.

With Windows 10 it took about 2 years for them to fix the vram issue on 32bit games and it only got fixed because a Windows developer visited a forum. 

So for me there is a better chance that I will upgrade my 5800x to a 5950x than build an Alder Lake rig.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

59 minutes ago, hysel said:

They already have 3D-V coming which will bump Zen 3 another 15-20%. Then, Zen 4 is coming next year. This is pretty typical at this point. It's fantastic that Intel is finally competitive so they're trading blows with AMD, but they're still a little behind the curve. I expect Zen 4 to retake the crown until 13th gen, but Intel will have a little time in the spotlight until then.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

38 minutes ago, hysel said:

If so, this is brilliant marketing scheme at the level of precognition 🙂 

Brilliant, yes. Precognition, hardly. Intel has always had a close relationship with Microsoft. Windows 11, already supported Alder Lake's big.LITTLE architecture at the time of the first Insider alpha, so there was obviously some cooperation going on there for a while.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

These comparisons are garbage. Really difficult to account for all the different variables between settings. So far best I could find that's more comparable between CPUs are these two benchmarks. That said, there's still differences in versioning, terrain shadow samples, and multisample anti-aliasing.

https://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/benchmark#/benchmark-result/18fa677b-c4a2-4f4c-8c24-4476928b2380

https://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/benchmark#/benchmark-result/eb14e7db-3602-4b84-8f70-796cab8a4cbd

35 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

They already have 3D-V coming which will bump Zen 3 another 15-20%. Then, Zen 4 is coming next year. This is pretty typical at this point. It's fantastic that Intel is finally competitive so they're trading blows with AMD, but they're still a little behind the curve. I expect Zen 4 to retake the crown until 13th gen, but Intel will have a little time in the spotlight until then.

Zen 4, in your own words is 2022. ADL is late 2021/very early 2022. So I guess it is more than just a little time 🙂

Also we don't know much about z4 or 13th gen. So it is very hard to speculate.

I always pick the worst time to upgrade. I got a 6600k a month before ryzen and a 10700k before zen3 and now ADL 😥

1 hour ago, krakek said:

I mean we have heard rumours about the 5600XT and 5950XT refreshed CPUs

Those rumours were "cancelled" by other rumours (or in other words false). But Zen 3d might be happening.

2 hours ago, hysel said:

-snip-

Inb4 Intel uses it in their marketing anyway

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

27 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Zen 4, in your own words is 2022. ADL is late 2021/very early 2022. So I guess it is more than just a little time 🙂

Also we don't know much about z4 or 13th gen. So it is very hard to speculate.

I always pick the worst time to upgrade. I got a 6600k a month before ryzen and a 10700k before zen3 and now ADL 😥

It will only be around 6 months between Alder Lake and Zen 4, and like I said, AMD can lean on Zen 3 with 3D V-Cache in that period to bolster their position. Alder Lake may still end up with better perf, but it won't be by huge margins. Also, 6 months isn't so long anyways, that a lot of people won't just wait to see what Zen 4 brings before making the decision.

Honestly, though, you'd probably need two screws loose to even consider getting either Alder Lake or Zen 4 for awhile. There will inevitably be bugs, and you're going to be way overpaying for things that probably won't make a huge difference right out of the gate, like DDR5. Why build a system that costs twice the price for marginally at best better performance.

seriously with everything going 4k what does it really matter cpu means less until you find games that use more cores

4k benches from many games show all cpus are practically around 10% of each other

3 minutes ago, pas008 said:

seriously with everything going 4k what does it really matter cpu means less until you find games that use more cores

4k benches from many games show all cpus are practically around 10% of each other

1440 is the sweet spot between performance and resolution. 4K just burns more cycles than it's worth IMHO.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I did..... I like RTS games

I didn't have a system that could run it at the time and never got around to grabbing it. But add me to the RTS crowd. Been replaying C&C 3 recently as a matter of fact.

2 hours ago, jones177 said:

Time will tell.

I just built a i9 10900kf. I did it because Alder Lake will need Windows 11 and other than a test rig I am not putting it into one of my gaming rigs.

With Windows 10 it took about 2 years for them to fix the vram issue on 32bit games and it only got fixed because a Windows developer visited a forum. 

So for me there is a better chance that I will upgrade my 5800x to a 5950x than build an Alder Lake rig.

Alder lake will require windows 11 so you can't install 10 on it? Glad I just got a 10700kf. Enough power to last a very long time. Why would Intel help Microsoft like this? What's in it for them?