Faulty PSU?

Elprokan

Hey, so I have this issue. My PC occasionally turns off. Sometimes it's twice per day and other times I can use it for days without an issue. I had this "incident" few days ago when I tried to turn it back on instantly after a shutdown but it started to smell like burning rubber and smoke came out of the top of my pc. I also heard some weird cracking noises ( maybe something to do with currents and voltages?) , so I let it be for the rest of the day and literally disassembled everything the following day. Strangely enough I wasn't able to find any visible damage on anything. I suspected my PSU but I didn't see anything wrong, burnt or damaged when I disassembled it. So I tried to turn it back on and it worked. I checked temperatures just to be sure, but everything was normal so I'm a bit confused. One more thing that might be relevant to this. I had 590rx before but I had to RMA it twice because when I played games that were really gpu demanding, my pc just turned off for some reason. Could there be a connection? Maybe my psu is not able to provide enough wattage? Just guessing I have no knowledge about psu. The model I have is Corsair CX600W 80+ bronze.

I think it might be not enough wattage. That doesn't explain the smmoke though. Are you running any demanding tasks when it shuts down?

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

Yep, like I wrote GPU demanding. That's why my 590rx was malfunctioning I suppose, it's kinda power hungry, but like I said not really sure because I don't know a lot about PSU and if they work properly or not.

Ok an update, now I am really confused, borrowed 750W corsair tx 80 gold+ and it happened again, but now when i try to turn my pc back on, every time I click on power button I hear click noise and nothing will happen. Again my cpu and gpu temps were fine before, and rgb on mobo is still working. Also tried to unplug gpu before powering up pc, but it did not help.

7 minutes ago, Elprokan said:

Ok an update, now I am really confused, borrowed 750W corsair tx 80 gold+ and it happened again, but now when i try to turn my pc back on, every time I click on power button I hear click noise and nothing will happen. Again my cpu and gpu temps were fine before, and rgb on mobo is still working.

If you could smell the burning and had some smoke coming out of your pc that means something burned, I would take it apart and closely inspect all components, burned capacitors etc, of the pc is not turning on even with new psu that means problem is somewhere else 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

1 minute ago, Whiro said:

If you could smell the burning and had some smoke coming out of your pc that means something burned, I would take it apart and closely inspect all components, burned capacitors etc, of the pc is not turning on even with new psu that means problem is somewhere else 

I did the first time it happened, could not find anything and pc ran for like 5 days without an issue. So no permanent damage has occured. maybe faulty extension cord? or should I call an electrician?

Another weird update, I used old PSU and it turned on... or rather it was able to power it for the first time and then I switched back to my new psu and it is working again, except power button only works for turning it on not off... I am so confused...

12 minutes ago, Elprokan said:

except power button only works for turning it on not off

That may be actually the windows power setup, you can try to change it

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

So it is working now normally now but for how long... Could anyone explain me why I was able to start the pc with my old cx600w psu and not with my new tx750w? and now after I was able to power it up with old cx600 I am able to switch to tx750w and it works... somehow... I have absolutely no clue whats going on
Is there a way to check current somehow,