Dual monitors in ubuntu with xcfe

i am trying to use 2 monitors in my linux config I want to use 1 in portrait orientation and the other as normal but anytime i try i get issues like crashing  freezing one monitor scrambles or icons and taskbar on wrong screen any ideas?

43 minutes ago, Traachon said:

i am trying to use 2 monitors in my linux config I want to use 1 in portrait orientation and the other as normal but anytime i try i get issues like crashing  freezing one monitor scrambles or icons and taskbar on wrong screen any ideas?

Thought only:

Monitors with modes activated by turning the monitor often have stuff in them that assumes you are a windows user.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i seem to have managed to solve it.... not sure how.... but its now working

3 hours ago, Traachon said:

I often find that very frustrating.  Bright side is it works though. At least FTM. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, Traachon said:

If you dont mind I've done some dev work with XFCE in the past. Can you explain how you set the monitor configuration? Did you do it from the XFCE settings or did you summon the glory that is Xrandr?

What distro/XFCE version (Ubuntu version basically)

AMD or Nvidia

What kind of connections are you using?

What are the model numbers for the monitors?

fully up- to- date xubuntu install just used display app using hdmi and vga on and old small tv and a dell monitor 

On 9/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, Traachon said:

fully up- to- date xubuntu install just used display app using hdmi and vga on and old small tv and a dell monitor 

If things break again, perhaps try ARandR (gui frontend for XRandR) to do the config and then everytime you login, resume, restart have a script run the settings. I used to have to do that when I had a TV as one of my monitors, it was really annoying, but that setup helped. I also used feh to manage my wallpaper settings (I had three monitors, one of which was a TV) because I'd have to reset them each time the computer resumed from sleep and the TV came on (it always messed up the settings) or I turned the computer on.

• Desktop! 2012 Mac Pro, Radeon RX 570 8GB, macOS Monterrey via OCLP.
  • Laptop! 2015 MacBook Pro quad core i7 with dedicated gpu
  • Other: PineBook Pro, PowerBook G4, misc chromebook, NextBook Flexx 11, LGV20 w/ LineageOS, and a few other things