101% Newbie to Smartphones...can someone help me find a good starter phone but also a great phone??

I am beyond 40 years old and embarrassed to admit that I've never owned a phone/smartphone,

Could someone suggest both a cheapest monthly for the service +cheaper monthly for payments toward the phone. I'd like to keep this under $50 per monthly or close.

I need a 3 phone bundle, if that is even possible.

Thanks for reading, considering and any help you can provide, and have a happy day or night.馃榾

10 minutes ago, RaputerXpert said:

I pay $155 or 3 lines with my plan with T Mobile. And thats about on par with most of the major providers. You might be able to get a deal from one of the big guys (Verizon, AT&T or T Mobile). But I would also check in to some of the smaller providers. Like Mint, Ting, Simple Mobile, Tracphone. They might have plans more on your budget. Id check all the guys for deals, some might give you deal for signing up. I think T Mobile for example was cutting the price of the new iPhone if you signed up for select plans. Mint looks to be offering deals where you buy the phone outright but they provide you with X amount of free service. Just going to need to shop around.聽

Also, lots of providers like Mint, Simple mobile, Xfinity and Charter for example are MVNO meaning they dont have a network of their own, they use the big guys (AT&T, Verizon and T Mobile/Sprint) so you need to verify which of those networks have the best coverage in your area. T mobile for example has about none existent coverage in rural areas.聽

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.聽

On 9/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, Donut417 said:

I pay $155 or 3 lines with my plan with T Mobile. And thats about on par with most of the major providers. You might be able to get a deal from one of the big guys (Verizon, AT&T or T Mobile).

I'm showing my age because that sounds expensive. THANKS for trying to help and you did!馃槑

On 9/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, RaputerXpert said:

I am beyond 40 years old and embarrassed to admit that I've never owned a phone/smartphone,

Could someone suggest both a cheapest monthly for the service +cheaper monthly for payments toward the phone. I'd like to keep this under $50 per monthly or close.

Thanks for reading, considering and any help you can provide, and have a happy day or night.馃榾

For the phones, if you're new... iPhone, iPhone, iPhone. You don't have to be a rookie to use an iPhone, but it'll be a gentler learning curve. I'd suggest the iPhone 11, although I know the monthly payments will still be significant if you buy from Apple (around $20 per month per phone). You may want to look into lower-cost carriers like Ting, Mint Mobile or prepaid brands (Metro, AT&T Prepaid, etc.) to see about getting deals on phones and plans.

Just be sure that you have enough data for each user. Many 'full' plans are unlimited in practice, but those budget carriers may cap your monthly data. What do you intend to do with your phones when you're away from WiFi? Stream videos and music, use navigation apps, post photos on Instagram or Facebook, that sort of thing? If you're pretty sparing you won't need much data at all, but if you intend to stream or post a lot of media, you may need more.

3 hours ago, RaputerXpert said:

I'm showing my age because that sounds expensive. THANKS for trying to help and you did!馃槑

Well for the record about $30 or so is phone insurance. So if you cut that out it would be a bit cheaper.聽

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Well for the record about $30 or so is phone insurance. So if you cut that out it would be a bit cheaper.聽

WOW, what percentage choose to remove insurance?

Did you? What is your carrier?

Thanks aye-lot!聽 馃馃挘馃嚢馃嚨馃嚠馃嚪馃嚚馃嚦

1 minute ago, RaputerXpert said:

WOW, what percentage choose to remove insurance?

Did you? What is your carrier?

Thanks aye-lot!聽 馃馃挘馃嚢馃嚨馃嚠馃嚪馃嚚馃嚦

Insurance cost is determined by what device you have. I have an iPhone XR, so I pay more. My dad has the iPhone SE (2020), his device is not as much. My mom has a piece of shit Android phone that cost hardly anything. The insurance protects from accidental damage, mechanical defects and Lost/Stolen.聽

I choose to have insurance because I have broken/lost phones in the past. My dad has cracked a screen or two. My mom has had phones replaced due to mechanical defects. Insurance is 100% optional but keep in mind, you are on the hook for any repairs or for a new device if it goes missing. Bear in mind my iPhone XR cost me $800 when I bought it 2.5 years ago.聽

Im with T Mobile, I have the Family choice plan (No longer offered) 4 lines for $100+tax/fees. I technically only have 3 lines on it, but I wont change my plan because its still cheaper than the new ones.聽