Console Network Simulator for PC

I am trying to get my PC onto a MAC filtered network that is dedicated for gaming consoles. The general WIFI makes gaming on my PC impossible, but my Xbox does just fine on its dedicated network. In order for my console to be allowed onto the network, I have to take a picture of the "advanced network settings" page on my Xbox so they can manually enter in its MAC address. The network is not password protected, just seems to be MAC filtered.

I could be completely wrong about most or all of this, but this is what I did according to my current knowledge:

I had the idea of manually changing my PC's MAC address and IP address. I found a couple tutorial videos on YouTube for doing just that, but my network card and it's software does not have the option to change it's MAC address (Realtek 8822BE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC). I have tried downloading different software to see if it gave me different options, but that was a no-go. I found the setting that I need (as per YouTube tutorial = Locally Administered Address) in my Intel(R) I211 Network Connection Properties, and changed my MAC, IP, DNS, and a few other things to what my Xbox's is, but that also didn't work. I could be doing something wrong, but there aren't exactly many tutorial videos about this online (at least what I could find). 

I talked to a few friends that are a little more technologically inclined than I am, and they motioned that there is probably a network simulator that makes my PC look like a console when trying to connect to a network. I was wondering if anybody out here would know of such a thing because google isn't doing much justice. I don't quite know exactly what to look for either

I have attached screenshots of my Network Adapters from Device Manager, and also the advanced settings for my Realtek network card in the case that I missed important details. 

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Screenshot (22).png

Screenshot (22).png

What stops you just giving them the real MAC address of your computer? They won't know it's not a console. Might be fakeable in a supposed xbox adv network screenshot.

Of course, after that, they'll easily be able to see irregular traffic compared to what they expect from a console...

And of course, most of all, you shouldn't do this at all because the network is intended for dumb, limited consoles, not computers that can run infinitely more software that could be detrimental to the other users.

2 hours ago, whispous said:

What stops you just giving them the real MAC address of your computer? They won't know it's not a console. Might be fakeable in a supposed xbox adv network screenshot.

Of course, after that, they'll easily be able to see irregular traffic compared to what they expect from a console...

And of course, most of all, you shouldn't do this at all because the network is intended for dumb, limited consoles, not computers that can run infinitely more software that could be detrimental to the other users.

Hey, thanks for the response. 

I have tried sending them a screenshot of my PC's MAC address, but got an email back saying that I can't connect because it isn't a console. I'm pretty sure that they denied it because it didn't have the same menu layout as an Xbox would have, but I was thinking that they might be able to see what type of device it is when its in the network. If this is false, then my other idea was to photoshop a screenshot of my Xbox's network page with the network info of my PC and sending it to the IT department. 

I suppose you're right though, they would be able to see un-console like traffic. 

So running a PC on this network would effect other users? I guess if it's gonna hurt or slow the network as a whole, I probably don't want to do this. It just kinda makes me sad that my PC is the most expensive thing I own and I can barely stream Netflix or video call on it. Every multiplayer game that i've played ends up having a 100ms+ ping which makes most of my games pretty much unusable.

Would you know of any other solutions to this problem?

Well, the fact it's a console-only network indicates that they specifically want to maintain a service unhindered by other types of devices.

I think from a moral POV you're not gonna find a way to justify having a computer on that network.

Maybe someone more familiar will be able to speak of what possibilities mac-spoofing might allow, but again, successfully doing so would be abusing the trust that allows anyone to console game at all.

So what's the deal with the network the PC is currently having a bad time on? Is it ping, bandwidth or both thats an issue?

Does it improve when using a VPN?

This really feels like a talk to it about the problem type of issue to me. 

Also you can spoof a Mac easily. Just monitor the traffic, find a mac that looks like a console and spoof it. Might cause issues, but thats their problem, not yours(and maybe their learn to never use a mac for security stuff)

Well, the fact it's a console-only network indicates that they specifically want to maintain a service unhindered by other types of devices.

I think from a moral POV you're not gonna find a way to justify having a computer on that network.

Maybe someone more familiar will be able to speak of what possibilities mac-spoofing might allow, but again, successfully doing so would be abusing the trust that allows anyone to console game at all.

So what's the deal with the network the PC is currently having a bad time on? Is it ping, bandwidth or both thats an issue?

Does it improve when using a VPN?

So the regular network (for phones, PCs, tablets) seems like it can't handle much of a load. Whenever I do a speed test, it says my connection is very fast (79.5 Mbps download, 11.7 Mbps upload @23ms png as per google speed test), but it seems like it tanks whenever I put a load on (lets say, playing Apex Legends, CS:GO, or Valorant). My in-game stats tell me that the latency jumps up to 85-100+ms. My xbox likes to hover around 24-40 on Apex. So I think that means that this regular network has bandwidth issues?

I do have to admit, I haven't tried gaming with a VPN. I just thought that would slow my connection down further. 

My goal right now would be to get onto that Consoles network without getting caught, and without causing harm. If there isn't a way to do both, then I'll just stick to my xbox.

I am also using the stock wifi antenna that came with my mobo (asus b450-i). It looks a little dinky, but maybe that could be the issue? I suppose I should've included that in my original post too. 

Interesting, your test ping isn't terrible. Logic dictates that a VPN should increase your latency, but what it might reveal is some form of traffic shaping. Going via a VPN could hide the traffic that is being shaped and may get you a better ping. If you can borrow some login for a commercial VPN from a friend, you could find out for free 😉 Worth a try!

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also you can spoof a Mac easily. Just monitor the traffic, find a mac that looks like a console and spoof it. Might cause issues, but thats their problem, not yours(and maybe their learn to never use a mac for security stuff)

I appreciate the response, but I think we're talking about different things. I'm not talking about an Apple Mac, I'm talking about a Media Access Control address on my PC and my Xbox.

Just now, NuttyBoi said:

I appreciate the response, but I think we're talking about different things. I'm not talking about an Apple Mac, I'm talking about a Media Access Control address on my PC and my Xbox.

Haha, I think electrinics wizardy is saying to find the MAC of a existing console and then spoof yourself as it, which is even LESS scrupulous than pretending your PC's MAC is a console 😉

Interesting, your test ping isn't terrible. Logic dictates that a VPN should increase your latency, but what it might reveal is some form of traffic shaping. Going via a VPN could hide the traffic that is being shaped and may get you a better ping. If you can borrow some login for a commercial VPN from a friend, you could find out for free 😉 Worth a try!

I currently use Private Internet Access for a VPN. Do you think that would work?

i apologize for misreading your comment. If I were to try to spoof my own xbox, what kind of issues would that cause?

13 minutes ago, NuttyBoi said:

I currently use Private Internet Access for a VPN. Do you think that would work?

Give it a try and find out!

minnie-mouse-go-go.gif

3 hours ago, whispous said:

Give it a try and find out!

minnie-mouse-go-go.gif

So this must be a new thing, but I guess my connection is blocked when I use a VPN now. I'm not sure why that would be because I use a VPN on my phone most of the time and my connection status never changed. I might just have to go do some more homework and research on this. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, NuttyBoi said:

i apologize for misreading your comment. If I were to try to spoof my own xbox, what kind of issues would that cause?

Can cause that other device not to connect to the network.

Give mac spoofing a try, why not(breaks tos, might get kicked off the network)

On 9/20/2021 at 5:16 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can cause that other device not to connect to the network.

Give mac spoofing a try, why not(breaks tos, might get kicked off the network)

Since the setting to manually change my mac address in Device Manager does not exist, I downloaded a program called Technitium MAC Address Changer, and that also did not work. The program wouldn't change my PCs mac address to my xbox's, and I tried a few other things and it still didn't work. Might just be SOL for now.