Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

USB-C headphone adapter not detected

Hi All,

I have an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Adapter that I want to use as a DAC for when I travel to be better than my laptops onboard sound (especially as I have been having some issues with it) I have tried on both my PC and my laptop and neither show the device anywhere. it's like nothing has been plugged in. My PC is the only one with a USB-C port. But i have adapters for normal USB for my laptop. But neither device detected it. I also tried a second USB-C headphone adapter which also doesn't show up. They show up on my phone just fine but neither adapter works on either PC or laptop and I am not sure what to do. I can't find it in device manager or anything.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could get these to work? I could get another normal USB DAC/AMP but I would rather use the apple one as it is meant to have some pretty good specs for it's price and I already have it anyway.

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be that it just won't work with your laptop. Some devices won't read that kind of thing unless it's a certain type. It's an issue with Samsung phones as well.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Froger96 said:

Hi All,

I have an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Adapter that I want to use as a DAC for when I travel to be better than my laptops onboard sound (especially as I have been having some issues with it) I have tried on both my PC and my laptop and neither show the device anywhere. it's like nothing has been plugged in. My PC is the only one with a USB-C port. But i have adapters for normal USB for my laptop. But neither device detected it. I also tried a second USB-C headphone adapter which also doesn't show up. They show up on my phone just fine but neither adapter works on either PC or laptop and I am not sure what to do. I can't find it in device manager or anything.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could get these to work? I could get another normal USB DAC/AMP but I would rather use the apple one as it is meant to have some pretty good specs for it's price and I already have it anyway.

 

Thanks

That adapter isn't a DAC, its a passive adapter and the Apple devices its designed to be used with output an analog signal through the USB-C port. Your laptop likely doesn't unless its specifically designed for audio.

5800x/3090

Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows normally pops up a notification to tell you it's not compatible when you plug a passive adapter. 

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

the adapter is not a soundcard.

USB-C to headphone needs a dedicated audio wiring to operate, not all USB-C have this enabled, especially laptops.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Windows normally pops up a notification to tell you it's not compatible when you plug a passive adapter. 

But that's the thing, I get nothing. Like nothing has been plugged in at all?

 

17 minutes ago, rickeo said:

That adapter isn't a DAC, its a passive adapter and the Apple devices its designed to be used with output an analog signal through the USB-C port. Your laptop likely doesn't unless its specifically designed for audio.

People seem to say it's a dac, and people have suggest it as a DAC to then supply an AMP as a good set up. 

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/apple-usb-c-to-3-5-mm-headphone-jack-adapter.23420/reviews

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/ecf1ud/apple_usbc_to_35mm_adapter_impressions/

and

https://www.audioreviews.org/apple-audio-adapter-review/

I am not sure if there is a misinterpretation on my side of this or  not?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest, looking at it then looking up this and it being $9, I was certain it was just a passive adapter. 

 

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

 

If there is a little DAC in there, that seems out of character for Apple and I don't see a more expensive version. Interesting. I know the similar thing that came with my old OnePlus 6t was strictly a passive adapter. 

5800x/3090

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Froger96 said:

But that's the thing, I get nothing. Like nothing has been plugged in at all?

It doesn't always do it, I have 2 passive adapters and only one pops the notification...

 

 

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this. I ordered another one as it was cheap enough and other poeple had it working and it works straight away. So think the adapter itself was just a bit dying (have also seen a lot of people talking about them dying easily.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×