Gaming pc for a friend

DaringChipmunk

Budget (including currency): $800 (US)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly games and everyday things.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

No peripherals, monitor, or anything else are needed just the pc.

He currently has an acer nitro 5 

specs

CPU: Intel i5 (he told me he upgraded it to an i6 whatever that is)

RAM: 8GB

GPU: GTX 1650

Storage 1TB SSD 

He doesn't know much about his system so this is all I've got. I'm unsure about the storage though but I pretty sure it is 1TB.

Try and get more detail. Like what generation the i5 is, or what speed the ram is at. Also don't forget about the Power supply and Motherboard. They are important too.

Also an i6 doesn't exist.

Don't sleep on sleeper PCs

Acer Nitro 5 laptops seem pretty good. Can't get much better new desktop PC for  $800

Though there are a lot of variations of Acer Nitro 5 ...

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, BeastyB314 said:

Try and get more detail. Like what generation the i5 is, or what speed the ram is at. Also don't forget about the Power supply and Motherboard. They are important too.

Also an i6 doesn't exist.

Since it's a laptop it's hard to figure out specs like the PSU and motherboard but i'll try.

Also yes I know an i6 doesn't exist I have no Idea why he told me that.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

@DaringChipmunk he wants to upgrade a laptop?

I'm lost here...

Yeah no he wants to switch to a pc instead of a laptop. Also he told me upgraded it why am I now understanding that is strange.

49 minutes ago, DaringChipmunk said:

Yeah no he wants to switch to a pc instead of a laptop. Also he told me upgraded it why am I now understanding that is strange.

Then opinion still stands - for that money there is no good enough desktop available to be bought.  I mean the best bet is prebuilts. Graphics card prices are still very high.

Cheapest GTX 1650 is $367:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=443,500,476&sort=price&page=1

I edit my posts more often than not

33 minutes ago, DaringChipmunk said:

Since it's a laptop it's hard to figure out specs like the PSU and motherboard but i'll try.

Also yes I know an i6 doesn't exist I have no Idea why he told me that.

Sorry had no idea it was a laptop. Not experienced with laptops.

1 minute ago, BeastyB314 said:

Sorry had no idea it was a laptop. Not experienced with laptops.

That's fine. He's upgrading to a pc though maybe you can help with that?

I agree with Tan3l6 - for 800€ there's hardly going to be enough improvement to justify it. 

Also, I'm going to guess (emphasis on GUESS) that what he upgraded was the RAM, from 8GB to 16 (hence maybe the confusion with i6?) - if this is true, then buying an 800€ desktop makes even less sense.

He'd probably be better off buying a good base/deck to plug the laptop in when he's at home.

Just now, DaringChipmunk said:

That's fine. He's upgrading to a pc though maybe you can help with that?

I would just go on PcPartPicker and just mess around to find a rough start, and then post it here again. I wouldn't worry that much about a graphics card right now, and I would recommend to start with an 8th-10th gen i5 to start. If you are looking to upgrade later, get the 10th gen as that is the latest socket for intel. This will also give you integrated graphics to use before you can save for a graphics card later.

1 minute ago, Rauten said:

I agree with Tan3l6 - for 800€ there's hardly going to be enough improvement to justify it. 

Also, I'm going to guess (emphasis on GUESS) that what he upgraded was the RAM, from 8GB to 16 (hence maybe the confusion with i6?) - if this is true, then buying an 800€ desktop makes even less sense.

He'd probably be better off buying a good base/deck to plug the laptop in when he's at home.

Yeah he's got the thing hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But no he was talking about the cpu and not the RAM but he did get someone else to upgrade it so maybe there was a bit of confusion there?

1 minute ago, BeastyB314 said:

I would just go on PcPartPicker and just mess around to find a rough start, and then post it here again. I wouldn't worry that much about a graphics card right now, and I would recommend to start with an 8th-10th gen i5 to start. If you are looking to upgrade later, get the 10th gen as that is the latest socket for intel. This will also give you integrated graphics to use before you can save for a graphics card later.

Yeah but I doubt he'd give up a graphics card it confuses me too.

1 minute ago, DaringChipmunk said:

Yeah he's got the thing hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But no he was talking about the cpu and not the RAM but he did get someone else to upgrade it so maybe there was a bit of confusion there?

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

He had someone change the CPU on an Acer Nitro 5? Nowadays, and for quite a few years now, 99% of laptops sold have the CPU soldered into the motherboard.

Not saying it's completely impossible to change it, but 1) good luck not destroying the motherboard in the process and 2) good luck finding a valid replacement that will actually work with the laptop.

Plus, there's still the fact that there simply is no "i6". Such a CPU simply doesn't exist.

So from where I'm standing, either he doesn't know what he's saying, or he got scammed. For his sake, I hope it's the first one.

https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-0005-00EA3

https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-0012-00252

https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-001A-00012

https://www.newegg.com/skytech-blaze-2-0/p/N82E16883289159

these four are about his budget, i have doubts we'd be able to fit a custom rig with the current GPU situation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Rauten said:

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

He had someone change the CPU on an Acer Nitro 5? Nowadays, and for quite a few years now, 99% of laptops sold have the CPU soldered into the motherboard.

Not saying it's completely impossible to change it, but 1) good luck not destroying the motherboard in the process and 2) good luck finding a valid replacement that will actually work with the laptop.

Plus, there's still the fact that there simply is no "i6". Such a CPU simply doesn't exist.

So from where I'm standing, either he doesn't know what he's saying, or he got scammed. For his sake, I hope it's the first one.

Trust me I have no idea what he was saying.

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-0005-00EA3

https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-0012-00252

https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-001A-00012

https://www.newegg.com/skytech-blaze-2-0/p/N82E16883289159

these four are about his budget, i have doubts we'd be able to fit a custom rig with the current GPU situation.

thanks still looking for a custom rig though.

5 minutes ago, DaringChipmunk said:

thanks still looking for a custom rig though.

this is the most he'll get for $800:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($54.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Klevv CRAS C710 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 G6 4 GB D6 GAMING X Video Card  ($367.14 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC F2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($35.95 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $801.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-20 12:02 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Then opinion still stands - for that money there is no good enough desktop available to be bought.  I mean the best bet is prebuilts. Graphics card prices are still very high.

Cheapest GTX 1650 is $367:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=443,500,476&sort=price&page=1

THE CHEAPEST 1650 IS NOW $210