What kind of keyboard is right for me?

FRD

I'm making this topic because I'm curious, but I'm not planning to upgrade my keyboard just yet.
Right now I only have about 20cm of mouse space and I'm using a pretty wide mouse. For the keyboard I'm using a Corsair K55 RGB with the arm rest. I use a 80cm mousepad which also holds my headphone stand.

The K55 RGB is a pretty wide keyboard because of the extra macro buttons. Later on I want to get a mechanical keyboard.

I'm looking for a fullsize keyboard which is as small as possible to save space. I know there are 60% keyboards and such out there, but I can't live without numpad. I don't game that often.

What kind of keyboard is right for me? In short, how can I save space with a fullsize keyboard? Does something exist like 90% keyboards that still have a numpad?

i believe tkl keyboards have a numberpad. am checking rn
EDIT: nope, the ones i looked at didn't

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

1 minute ago, Mr-G-Man said:

TKL stands for Ten Key Less, so it means it misses the 10 numbers of the numpad.
I need a small non-TKL keyboard.

2 minutes ago, FRD said:

Does something exist like 90% keyboards that still have a numpad?

Check out 96% and 1800-layout board.

They basically have pushed together the number pad and the arrow key/home/end/etc. cluster together, to save a couple of columns of space (three colums of space, at around 6cm).

These types of layout keyboards are quite niche though, so you probably will only find mechanical keyboards with that layout.

Otherwise you could look for 75% or 65% keyboard (depending on if you need  the F-keys) and look for a seperate numpad, you can place just about anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Mr-G-Man said:

TKL = Ten Keyless

So a keyboard without a numberpad.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, FRD said:

I'm making this topic because I'm curious, but I'm not planning to upgrade my keyboard just yet.
Right now I only have about 20cm of mouse space and I'm using a pretty wide mouse. For the keyboard I'm using a Corsair K55 RGB with the arm rest. I use a 80cm mousepad which also holds my headphone stand.

The K55 RGB is a pretty wide keyboard because of the extra macro buttons. Later on I want to get a mechanical keyboard.

I'm looking for a fullsize keyboard which is as small as possible to save space. I know there are 60% keyboards and such out there, but I can't live without numpad. I don't game that often.

What kind of keyboard is right for me? In short, how can I save space with a fullsize keyboard? Does something exist like 90% keyboards that still have a numpad?

Bigger mouse pad maybe or get a tkl keyboard with a seperate numbpad?

Just now, ParrotPal said:

Bigger mouse pad maybe or get a tkl keyboard with a seperate numbpad?

Bigger mousepad is the cheapest way though. TKL keyboard with separate numpad is an option, but aren't they usually pretty expensive. An Asus ROG board comes to find, but it's like $200+. I wonder if I have any cheap options.

1 minute ago, FRD said:

Bigger mousepad is the cheapest way though. TKL keyboard with separate numpad is an option, but aren't they usually pretty expensive. An Asus ROG board comes to find, but it's like $200+. I wonder if I have any cheap options.

Techsource and Randomfrankp both did videos on cheap good lookings numbpads that can match your custom keyboard if you just paint pretty simple the way I see it is that you have a couple options.

Fuck it just don't do anything

Buy/make a tkl keyboard with a cheap 15 dollar numbpad

Get a big mouse pad such as a glorious xl idk depends on your desk size

get a smaller keyboard

Idk you can just ignore these options and make new ones 

1 minute ago, ParrotPal said:

Techsource and Randomfrankp both did videos on cheap good lookings numbpads that can match your custom keyboard if you just paint pretty simple the way I see it is that you have a couple options.

Fuck it just don't do anything

Buy/make a tkl keyboard with a cheap 15 dollar numbpad

Get a big mouse pad such as a glorious xl idk depends on your desk size

get a smaller keyboard

Idk you can just ignore these options and make new ones 

I will check those videos out.

Seems like I got multiple options. I'm not really into keyboards that much so I'm not really planning on spending a lot and also just to save space.

Going to look into it some more.

10 minutes ago, minibois said:

Check out 96% and 1800-layout board.

They basically have pushed together the number pad and the arrow key/home/end/etc. cluster together, to save a couple of columns of space (three colums of space, at around 6cm).

These types of layout keyboards are quite niche though, so you probably will only find mechanical keyboards with that layout.

Otherwise you could look for 75% or 65% keyboard (depending on if you need  the F-keys) and look for a seperate numpad, you can place just about anywhere.

TKL = Ten Keyless

So a keyboard without a numberpad.

I didn't know those exist. They look interesting, good way of saving space. Kind of remind me like keyboard layouts on some laptops. I would have to get used to it though, after checking it out I don't like it when the arrow keys are lower than the rest of the keys.

I'm going to see if I can find one that I like, thanks for the suggestion.

2 minutes ago, FRD said:

I will check those videos out.

Seems like I got multiple options. I'm not really into keyboards that much so I'm not really planning on spending a lot and also just to save space.

Going to look into it some more.

tbh your keyboard isn't bad so a quick fix is just a mousepad

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-xxl-gaming-mouse-pad

Anyway how big is your desk

2 minutes ago, ParrotPal said:

tbh your keyboard isn't bad so a quick fix is just a mousepad

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-xxl-gaming-mouse-pad

Anyway how big is your desk

That's a good one, even though I have a ton of options for the mousepad.

My desk is like 1.5m, but I can only use max 100cm for my mousepad because of the things on my desk.

My keyboard (Mountain Everest) has a removable numpad (you can plug it on the left too), might be an idea for you. I can just put the numpad away when gaming.

DSC06461_r.thumb.jpg.438d2a4466dccc1b900573f23602d4d9.jpg

DSC06465_r.thumb.jpg.3f292d2721428957116aafd144af3e8e.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

My keyboard (Mountain Everest) has a removable numpad (you can plug it on the left too), might be an idea for you. I can just put the numpad away when gaming.

*pics*

I've seen those before. They look pretty cool and I like that it has a screen, unfortunately it's just a bit too expensive for me as a non-keyboard enthusiast. It's about $275. It does get great reviews though.

Another option - tenkeyless plus a numpad separately. Like  that Mountain Evarest, but just 2 different pieces of hardware.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Another option - tenkeyless plus a numpad separately. Like  that Mountain Evarest, but just 2 different pieces of hardware.

Yes, also an option. I'll have to look into it. I just doubt if I will like a different looking and feeling keyboard and numpad next to each other. Still an option for me.

2 hours ago, FRD said:

I similarly can't live without a numpad!

Unless there are some shrunken models on the market, if you're not too keen on the ones with detachable/extra numpads your best bet is a keyboard that doesn't have strange extra keys on the sides like yours does, and which has narrow... are they called bezels on keyboards too? Bezels. Narrow bezels. You know what I mean

Coincidentally I posted a little impressions post of my newish K70 keyboard before I saw this thread, which included a photo that might be useful to you (mostly to highlight the dust problem). One of the things I forgot to mention in my post was how little space the keyboard wastes, especially on the sides. It's a full-size keyboard with full-size keys, but there's maybe less than five millimetres of wasted space on either side, and as small a gap as possible between the typing keys, control keys, and the numpad. It's possibly about as narrow as a full-size keyboard can be made without shrinking the keys themselves or dramatically re-jigging the conventional layout. I suppose they could shave a few extra millimetres of the casing itself if they really wanted to, though.

For reference, the K70 Mk2 is exactly 43.8 centimetres wide from 'bezel' to 'bezel'.

4 hours ago, FruitOfTheLum said:

I similarly can't live without a numpad!

Unless there are some shrunken models on the market, if you're not too keen on the ones with detachable/extra numpads your best bet is a keyboard that doesn't have strange extra keys on the sides like yours does, and which has narrow... are they called bezels on keyboards too? Bezels. Narrow bezels. You know what I mean

Coincidentally I posted a little impressions post of my newish K70 keyboard before I saw this thread, which included a photo that might be useful to you (mostly to highlight the dust problem). One of the things I forgot to mention in my post was how little space the keyboard wastes, especially on the sides. It's a full-size keyboard with full-size keys, but there's maybe less than five millimetres of wasted space on either side, and as small a gap as possible between the typing keys, control keys, and the numpad. It's possibly about as narrow as a full-size keyboard can be made without shrinking the keys themselves or dramatically re-jigging the conventional layout. I suppose they could shave a few extra millimetres of the casing itself if they really wanted to, though.

For reference, the K70 Mk2 is exactly 43.8 centimetres wide from 'bezel' to 'bezel'.

I get it. I actually just got the K55 before just because I wanted a "gaming" keyboard and RGB as well. To this day I still miss the Esc sometimes because of the extra macro buttons. On the other hand, the macro buttons are very handy though.

I looked at your post, seems like a great board. I often see the K70 around, but yeah the dust seems a problem. On users' pictures and when people are selling them, they often look very used and dusty. I already think my K55 is getting dusty too fast and the fact that I can't clean dust off my mousepad easily is a nightmare.

Still though, the K70 or Mk2 version is a good consideration for me. I prefer low profile keys and they also have a Low Profile version, which is perfect for me. I'm still hesistant on spending that kind of money on a keyboard though, as I'm not into keyboards and don't see extra value in mechanical boards yet. The K70 checks all my boxes though, I also can't live without media and dedicated volume keys (or wheel) on my keyboard. Thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, FRD said:

I get it. I actually just got the K55 before just because I wanted a "gaming" keyboard and RGB as well. To this day I still miss the Esc sometimes because of the extra macro buttons. On the other hand, the macro buttons are very handy though.

I looked at your post, seems like a great board. I often see the K70 around, but yeah the dust seems a problem. On users' pictures and when people are selling them, they often look very used and dusty. I already think my K55 is getting dusty too fast and the fact that I can't clean dust off my mousepad easily is a nightmare.

Still though, the K70 or Mk2 version is a good consideration for me. I prefer low profile keys and they also have a Low Profile version, which is perfect for me. I'm still hesistant on spending that kind of money on a keyboard though, as I'm not into keyboards and don't see extra value in mechanical boards yet. The K70 checks all my boxes though, I also can't live without media and dedicated volume keys (or wheel) on my keyboard. Thanks for the info.

I suspect the dust might be an issue with black and/or brushed aluminium to be honest. I've always had plastic-bodied keyboards previously, and never had the same issue before, at least not to this extent.

Oh the K55 is a wide one! I automatically discounted all keyboards like that, not really because of the width so much as I could imagine myself accidentally pushing those macro keys all the time!

There are some similar-style models around to the K70 that aren't as expensive. I think the thing to look out for is that 'bezel' size and the absence of (side-mounted, anyway) macro keys. If you can get one in a similar style to the K70, at least, it shouldn't take up too much space width-ways. I don't have any specific recommendations as the width of the board wasn't much of a consideration to me, but the Corsair K60 was one I had my eye on during my search which looks similar in design (or width, at least) to the K70 Mk2, and it does have a low-profile version - though the low-profile version looks to be almost as expensive as the K70 Mk2 I paid for, in the UK anyway. I believe you can replace the key caps on pretty much any mechanical keyboard, though.

So far as the value of them goes, I thought the same way as you do at first! My budget to start with was £50 maximum, and I nearly went with a Logitech G213. Having owned the K70 Mk2 for just over a month now, though, I'm confident that I've made the right decision, and I legitimately do see the fuss with mechanical switches now - the difference compared to the cheap/laptop keyboards I've always used in the past is genuinely astonishing. It's truly night-and-day. Since I've had my K70, I've gone back into the office a couple of times and used the cheapo Microsoft keyboard they provide there, and I just... I can't use it anymore.

At the end of the day, it's your primary input method to communicate with your expensive PC, and the part with which you physically interact the most (and the only part that can legitimately injure you, to boot!) - it should feel pleasant to use, right? If you can, I'd suggest finding one you can have a try with in person (which is something I couldn't do), or at least grab some switch sample kits to help you find the style you like best.

19 hours ago, FruitOfTheLum said:

I suspect the dust might be an issue with black and/or brushed aluminium to be honest. I've always had plastic-bodied keyboards previously, and never had the same issue before, at least not to this extent.

Oh the K55 is a wide one! I automatically discounted all keyboards like that, not really because of the width so much as I could imagine myself accidentally pushing those macro keys all the time!

There are some similar-style models around to the K70 that aren't as expensive. I think the thing to look out for is that 'bezel' size and the absence of (side-mounted, anyway) macro keys. If you can get one in a similar style to the K70, at least, it shouldn't take up too much space width-ways. I don't have any specific recommendations as the width of the board wasn't much of a consideration to me, but the Corsair K60 was one I had my eye on during my search which looks similar in design (or width, at least) to the K70 Mk2, and it does have a low-profile version - though the low-profile version looks to be almost as expensive as the K70 Mk2 I paid for, in the UK anyway. I believe you can replace the key caps on pretty much any mechanical keyboard, though.

So far as the value of them goes, I thought the same way as you do at first! My budget to start with was £50 maximum, and I nearly went with a Logitech G213. Having owned the K70 Mk2 for just over a month now, though, I'm confident that I've made the right decision, and I legitimately do see the fuss with mechanical switches now - the difference compared to the cheap/laptop keyboards I've always used in the past is genuinely astonishing. It's truly night-and-day. Since I've had my K70, I've gone back into the office a couple of times and used the cheapo Microsoft keyboard they provide there, and I just... I can't use it anymore.

At the end of the day, it's your primary input method to communicate with your expensive PC, and the part with which you physically interact the most (and the only part that can legitimately injure you, to boot!) - it should feel pleasant to use, right? If you can, I'd suggest finding one you can have a try with in person (which is something I couldn't do), or at least grab some switch sample kits to help you find the style you like best.

Yes, you could be right on that. It's either the black or brushed aluminium, but even on my K55 the not super black, more like greyish plastic also gets dusty really fast. Before I've had a gloss black keyboard and it didn't get dusty that fast.

K55 is indeed very wide. I just got it since I was on a low budget too and managed to get a good deal on it, not exactly because it was my #1 choice board. I wanted some RGB as well. I'm used to the macro keys and I use them, but they are not necessary actually.

Actually when I see the K60, I know that a lot of mechanic and non-mechanic keyboards look like that, pretty standard. While the K70 (Mk2) has a unique look to it. I also like a keyboard with a palm rest, can't live without it anymore since I got my Corsair K55. I've been looking at the K70 used as well and they go as low as $50, but usually very dirty/dusty and the older versions without RGB and usually non low profile (it's rarely for sale). I'll keep both the K60 and K70 LP in mind though.

Before I didn't start with a budget, but looked for the most sold keyboards and which were on sale. The Logitech G213 was my other choice and it was a bit above MSRP a few months ago and that's why I got the second best selling (membrane) keyboard, the K55. When going for a mechanical board, I need to make sure I get a non-clicky one, so no Blue switches. I also see a lot of supposed to be mechanical keyboards, starting at like $30. But can they really be mechanical keyboards? Or just mechanical feel? I need to know more about switches first as I'm not sure which ones I need. For Corsair it's extra confusing for me as they have Speed switches.

For me, I can type really fast on laptop keyboards, because I move faster on low profile boards. Before I made a topic on here about a good low profile keyboard with RGB and volume buttons, but they are pretty much non existent or never available, for under $100 that is.

You're right that a keyboard can be important. I never paid attention to it for 5+ years, after I built my own PC. Just used a cheap low profile keyboard and it was perfectly fine for typing, since I didn't game that much. Maybe now is the time to get more into it. My friends aren't really into mechanical keyboards, gladly I can go to some electronic stores where we can feel and try some keyboards too. I didn't know they had switch sample kits by the way. Where they get them?

2 hours ago, FRD said:

I didn't know they had switch sample kits by the way.

They're just little boards with one of each kind of switch on them. Like, you can get one with each of the Cherry MX switches on. You can buy them for like a fiver or so? I never thought to look on eBay for them, but they might be cheaper or even free there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 1:37 AM, FruitOfTheLum said:

They're just little boards with one of each kind of switch on them. Like, you can get one with each of the Cherry MX switches on. You can buy them for like a fiver or so? I never thought to look on eBay for them, but they might be cheaper or even free there.

A few days ago I came across a switch sample kit on Amazon. It's about $25, which is kind of not worth it for me just to try the switches. I decided I better keep that money as well for a keyboard.

Lately I found a great deal on a K70 LUX RGB for just $25, just very used and dirty, but still working. Unfortunately it was pick up only and a few hours drive, so I was not able to buy it. I really wanted it.

Another deal I found lately was at a PC store clearance. They have a Glorious PC Gaming barebone keyboard for just $15 and normally retails for about $100. I would have to buy the switches, keycaps and maybe o-rings. Never built a keyboard yet. I didn't go for it and it was sold now. It was full-size board with RGB built in. Could have been a good deal, but it could still end up close to $100 for all the parts I needed. The keyboard was sold 2 days later.

3 hours ago, FRD said:

A few days ago I came across a switch sample kit on Amazon. It's about $25, which is kind of not worth it for me just to try the switches. I decided I better keep that money as well for a keyboard.

Lately I found a great deal on a K70 LUX RGB for just $25, just very used and dirty, but still working. Unfortunately it was pick up only and a few hours drive, so I was not able to buy it. I really wanted it.

Another deal I found lately was at a PC store clearance. They have a Glorious PC Gaming barebone keyboard for just $15 and normally retails for about $100. I would have to buy the switches, keycaps and maybe o-rings. Never built a keyboard yet. I didn't go for it and it was sold now. It was full-size board with RGB built in. Could have been a good deal, but it could still end up close to $100 for all the parts I needed. The keyboard was sold 2 days later.

$25 is a bit steep for that, yeah! I wouldn't have bothered either.

Well keep looking, something will turn up!

On 10/1/2021 at 9:48 PM, FruitOfTheLum said:

$25 is a bit steep for that, yeah! I wouldn't have bothered either.

Well keep looking, something will turn up!

I think it was a great deal. At least no keys missing, scuffed keys or defects. The good thing is that mechanical keyboards are cleanable, I also had to clean my K55 RGB before and I damaged keycaps when taking them off because they aren't easily removable.

Yes, I will keep looking. I just need to stumble upon a nice deal and hopefully in range for a pick up. I just would have to figure out what to do with my K55 later on, maybe just sell.

• 6 months later...

I never bump an old topic, but I still want to get this out there.

I managed to pick up a used Asus ROG Claymore that has a detachable numpad for only $45!

I'm so happy about this as this is a $200+ keyboard normally and I didn't have to change my mousepad or desk setup after all.

It's also my first mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches and I can finally try out a TKL board as well.

To me it's the perfect upgrade from my oversized Corsair K55 RGB.