Is this particular adapter config safe?

nicky9499

Firstly let me just say I have already done my googling, so before anyone jumps in with "if your PSU doesn't have the right connector's it probably junk/too old"...

This is a Superflower Leadex II 650W 80+ Gold. The reason why it doesn't have enough PCIe cables is because it was a hand-me-down as "tower only" - no spare cables or accessories. Previously it had a 1060 so 1x 6-pin PCIe power was good. Now I'm trying to stick a 2080Ti in there but realize it only has 1 PCIe Y-cable. Does have 1 molex cable entire free though.

Hence, before I power up or blow anything up, is this safe? These are the adaptors I managed to dig out from my loose bits box, but if unsafe I would have to buy 2 of the fancy braided 3rd party PCIe 8-pin cables for this PSU.

IMG_20210917_133028.jpg

7 minutes ago, nicky9499 said:

Does have 1 molex cable entire free though.

Even with all the adapters you are using one molex cable still only has one +12V wire that terminates to one pin on the PSU.

Buy replacement cables for the PSU. They need to be ones compatible with your power supply (Superflower Leadex II).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

A 6+2pin PCIe cable are rated for 150W while a molex cable are only 55W, meaning the GPU will potentially draw 3(or more) times the rated power through the molex cable.

This is not exactly what I will call safe.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

No... that cable is a mess.  

If you must, use a single 2 x molex => pci-e 8 pin adapter cable, and monitor it constantly, make sure it doesn't burn.

leadex ii uses those weird 3x3  connectors, do some research and see what power supplies use the same connector. It's probably some OEM manufacturer that had that idea, and other brands released models with that oem design, hence same connectors.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

leadex ii uses those weird 3x3  connectors, do some research and see what power supplies use the same connector. It's probably some OEM manufacturer that had that idea, and other brands released models with that oem design, hence same connectors.

Actually, that's exactly the last thing I would do even though I have a box of other modular PSU cables.

They may use the same OEM plastic plug but the pinouts can be different which will fry stuff when you hook them up.

Never mix different manufacturer modular cables.

Found this, it's got good reviews. Will get a new set, probably looks better too.

Thanks for the advice gents.

Untitled.png