A lot of CPU being used up by Service Host: Device Setup manager (svchost: DsmSvc) (PC slowing down, trying to troubleshoot)

Jason6676

Hi there,

In recent months my PC has been slowing down a bit. I had an issue with my hard drives earlier this year where I couldn't boot windows through my SSD as it kept booting through another HDD I had installed, but I fixed it by reinstalling windows on my SSD. Since then, there is a couple loading screens before I reach my desktop on boot now, and it takes longer. There's also a flickering black screen on the desktop at times too, on boot.

Anyway, in reference to the title of this post, I have began to think that maybe a CPU upgrade could help me (I have an i7 4790), or maybe I have a virus on my PC, or maybe there's some issue with how my BIOS / Boot settings were left since I meddled with my drives earlier this year. Out of curiosity I looked at my task manager, and saw something called Service Host: Device Setup manager taking up around 15% CPU, and I was curious as to what it was. Some things online suggest it's because of malware / some form of virus, so I ran a bitdefender full scan and AdwCleaner and Rkill (From what I can tell, those last 2 programs are safe? If you think otherwise let me know) And the service still takes up as much CPU. I tried to reset the service however I got an error prompt. If anyone reading this has literally any information on anything posted in this post that you think could be helpful, please let me know. 

Thank you very much for reading

1.Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic :
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update.
2.Clear the windows update cache.
(Windows key +x then type A)
net.exe stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren Download Download.old
net.exe start wuauserv
Restart the machine