Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Black screen after cloning drive

Go to solution Solved by GER_T4IGA,

CMOS reset fixed it. Thanks for your help. 

In my last thread I asked about cloning a drive. It seem to have worked perfectly. 

The issue: after that I tried to reboot back into windows but I am only getting a black screen after turning the machine on. I tried resetting a bunch of times and once got it to work/into BIOS and set my OC profile because it had gone into save boot. Shouldn't have done that because I had to reset again instead of continuing to boot. 

 

So now I have forced a shutdown with Ted power button more than 10 time and still don't have any display out. 

The system used to work before that. I tried removing the source SSD (from the cloning process) and  reinserting it again for. 

 

The debug LEDs on the board turn off so it has completed start up successfully. I just don't get a display out and I don't get why.

 

 

Specs are

3900x

Asusu X570 I gaming

2080 Ti (two display port and on. HDMi connected)

 

 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try booting through the old hdd/ssd that is working perfectly and if it still doesnt work then a dead port? and did you try different ports for it? are the cables fully connected in or no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GER_T4IGA said:

In my last thread I asked about cloning a drive. It seem to have worked perfectly. 

The issue: after that I tried to reboot back into windows but I am only getting a black screen after turning the machine on. I tried resetting a bunch of times and once got it to work/into BIOS and set my OC profile because it had gone into save boot. Shouldn't have done that because I had to reset again instead of continuing to boot. 

 

So now I have forced a shutdown with Ted power button more than 10 time and still don't have any display out. 

The system used to work before that. I tried removing the source SSD (from the cloning process) and  reinserting it again for. 

 

The debug LEDs on the board turn off so it has completed start up successfully. I just don't get a display out and I don't get why.

 

 

Specs are

3900x

Asusu X570 I gaming

2080 Ti (two display port and on. HDMi connected)

 

 

or try reinstalling windows on the new hdd/ssd

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iadk said:

Try booting through the old hdd/ssd that is working perfectly and if it still doesnt work then a dead port? and did you try different ports for it? are the cables fully connected in or no?

Using M.2 no cables. The issue in I don't even see the motherboard splash screen. Straight up no signal. 

 

SSD1 used to be in port2

I cloned to SSD2 in port1

 

I tried booting with both connected in those same ports

And

SSD1 removed. 

Both didn't yield a display outpit after that one time. 

 

 

 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Iadk said:

or try reinstalling windows on the new hdd/ssd

I couldn't if I wanted to. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Wden pressing the power button my monitor wakes up from sleep, then notifies me of 'no signal's and consequently gone back to sleep. 

Using either just HDMI or display port. Same behavior on both. 

 

I have tried powering down the system via long press of the power button and turning of the PSU forcefully. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Update: Wden pressing the power button my monitor wakes up from sleep, then notifies me of 'no signal's and consequently gone back to sleep. 

Using either just HDMI or display port. Same behavior on both. 

 

I have tried powering down the system via long press of the power button and turning of the PSU forcefully. 

Ok, i dont know if your board is dead or isnt getting a good connection

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure you understood the process of cloning properly?

 

While there are many methods,  the one that's usually recommended and the one i always do:

 

Connect external drive to pc (typically with usb3) 

Clone the internal drive to external. 

Turn off pc.

Disconnect internal drive. 

Connect newly cloned drive internally (sata, pci etc)

Boot pc.

 

Works all the time always. 

 

 

So what did you actually do? It almost sounds like you're trying to boot with 2 OS drives, but its not clear. 

AMD stands for Advanced Micro Machines

-ColdFusion, 2021

Link to post
Share on other sites

CMOS reset fixed it. Thanks for your help. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm not sure you understood the process of cloning properly?

 

While there are many methods,  the one that's usually recommended and the one i always do:

 

Connect external drive to pc (typically with usb3) 

Clone the internal drive to external. 

Turn off pc.

Disconnect internal drive. 

Connect newly cloned drive internally (sata, pci etc)

Boot pc.

 

Works all the time always. 

 

 

So what did you actually do? It almost sounds like you're trying to boot with 2 OS drives, but its not clear. 

I 'dd'-ed everything from one drive to anonher then got not display out after a subsequent reboot which should have had nothing to do with the cloning - which it turned out it hadn't.

 

It shouldn't matter how many bootable windows partitions I attach to my motherboard, right? It would just boot from the one first in line in the BIOS boot order. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2021 at 3:21 PM, GER_T4IGA said:

CMOS reset fixed it. Thanks for your help. 

No problem, happy to help

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×