Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

has anybody used this kind of aerosol spray to clean a pc? my friend just told me he uses some kind of contact cleaner to clean his mining machine WHILE THE MACHINE IS STILL PLUGGED IN AND RUNNING.

it's not just air that's being blown out of the can. it's got some kind of fast-evaporating liquid or something.

thanks,

That seems like a terrible idea. 

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

List of my systems:

Main PC:

Spoiler

HP z620 workstation, 2x Xeon e5-2690 v0, GTX 980 FE, 8x4gb DDR3-1333, 2x 2tb HDD, 1tb boot SATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Linux system:

Spoiler

ProDesk 600 g1 SFF, i5-4590, Quadro k620, 2x4gb DDR3-1333, 64gb boot SSD, 250gb storage HDD from the ewaste pile with many bad sectors, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

XP system:

Spoiler

Compaq DC7600 SFF, Pentium 4 HT 631, MSI GT 210 passive, 2x512m DDR2-667, 80gb Spinmaster HDD

Testbench:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760 board, GameMax VP-600 PSU, 4x 64gb AliExpress SSD (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10), 1tb HDD (storage)

(currently has a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and 4x2gb DDR2-800 but I change its config frequently)

Contact cleaners are for removing oxides on electrical contact points and connectors, not for general cleaning. They're fairly harsh solvents and should only be used when needed on corroded connectors, not all the time on everything. I believe contact cleaners are usually non-conductive, which is the only reason your friend's computer isn't dead if he actually sprays it down while running.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 10

7 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Contact cleaners are for removing oxides on electrical contact points and connectors, not for general cleaning. They're fairly harsh solvents and should only be used when needed on corroded connectors, not all the time on everything. I believe contact cleaners are usually non-conductive, which is the only reason your friend's computer isn't dead if he actually sprays it down while running.

he sent me this picture, and said this is what he uses to clean his asic machines, WHILE THEY ARE STILL PLUGGED IN AND RUNNING, LIVE.

lexite.jpg

1 minute ago, Error 504 said:

he sent me this picture, and said this is what he uses to clean his asic machines, WHILE THEY ARE STILL PLUGGED IN AND RUNNING, LIVE.

lexite.jpg

Will HE replace any parts that fail as a result of his recommendations...??

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for additional info. added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Will HE replace any parts that fail as a result of his recommendations...??

most likely, NOT.

and that's how i ended up here asking the professionals for their professional opinions.

3 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

-snip-

Oh boy, that's not even contact cleaner, that's a Chinese knock-off of Chemsearch Lexite, which is a degreaser.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 10

1 minute ago, Error 504 said:

most likely, NOT.

and that's how i ended up here asking the professionals for their professional opinions.

What 'faults' are you looking to resolve by this method?  Typically, a machine should be powered down & the parts that need cleaning removed, cleaned & reinstalled.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for additional info. added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Oh boy, that's not even contact cleaner, that's a Chinese knock-off of Chemsearch Lexite, which is a degreaser.

ah, CHEMSEARCH,.......

the label says "CHCMSEARCH", ok, got it.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:27 AM, Error 504 said:

CHCMSEARCH

It's all just chcmicals in the end...

The legit stuff is actually a thing.

https://d347awuzx0kdse.cloudfront.net/tbc/product-download/man5697_specsheet.pdf?v=4618d6590cfae873da545e8c2b0d46ab51270fbb

If that is exactly the same it is what it can be used for, seems somewhat odd that his miner would be sucking air that needs a strong solvent cleaner like that regularly...   but never tried so maybe he knows something we don't.

Seems more like a mix of overkill, with laziness, with tightarsed downtime means less profits.

I personally think it could be slightly risky as it mentions damaging some plastics and if it it's a knock off mix, I would want to use on components on an absolutely needed basis and where you can visibly confirm no issues or damage and that it has worked, not randomly sprayed into stuff.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:08 AM, artuc said:

It's all just chcmicals in the end...

The legit stuff is actually a thing.

https://d347awuzx0kdse.cloudfront.net/tbc/product-download/man5697_specsheet.pdf?v=4618d6590cfae873da545e8c2b0d46ab51270fbb

If that is exactly the same it is what it can be used for, seems somewhat odd that his miner would be sucking air that needs a strong solvent cleaner like that regularly...   but never tried so maybe he knows something we don't.

Seems more like a mix of overkill, with laziness, with tightarsed downtime means less profits.

I personally think it could be slightly risky as it mentions damaging some plastics and if it it's a knock off mix, I would want to use on components on an absolutely needed basis and where you can visibly confirm no issues or damage and that it has worked, not randomly sprayed into stuff.

the website says: "DIELECTRIC CONSTANT 5,000V" but i don't see anywhere mentioning that this spray can be used on machines that are plugged in and powered up.

ya, he said he didn't want to lose 15min of booting up.

how much can you lose in 15min with aisc anyways??