Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mycelium based Meats.

I found out about this type of Cultured Meat from a YouTube Video but Techcrunch has an Article about this:

https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/14/i-cant-believe-its-not-meat/

Meati already has a Jerky available and working on developing others. For those of you who are unaware of what this is, it is the actual fungus which grows underground. The Mushrooms you see are the fruiting bodies that produces spores.

I wonder how long before this is commonplace?

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

Tech New means Tech News... this is not.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 20 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My only contribution.(Yeah I said more...)

Meat is meat, it is healthy to eat just like veggies, all within proper moderation. The day I don't eat real meat is the day I die.

This trend to make and sell meat like things is dumb, lie to yourself but please for the love of God, dont lie to me.

All trends end, like any previous trend.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

My only contribution.

Meat is meat, it is healthy to eat just like veggies, all within proper moderation. The day I don't eat real meat is the day I die.

This trend to make and sell meat like things is dumb, lie to yourself but please for the love of God, dont lie to me.

I already know that Meat is Healthy in moderation.

19 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Isn't made with eggs to bind everything to together?

yes, so I guess it isn't vegan, but still vegetarian

12 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Meat is meat, it is healthy to eat just like veggies

I mean, most of the largest food recalls are from meat products https://moneyinc.com/biggest-food-recalls-u-s-history/

Then there are outbreaks like swine flu, mad cow disease, HIV, covid19, and countless other diseases that originated from eating meat.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Then there are outbreaks like swine flu, mad cow disease, HIV, covid19, and countless other diseases that originated from eating meat.

No. 🤦‍♂️  I am not going to go into a long argument as to why this is wrong. But don't make comments like this knowing it will derail a topic. 

Anyhow I made my contribution don't pull me back in to try and make a point.

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

yes, so I guess it isn't vegan, but still vegetarian

I mean, most of the largest food recalls are from meat products https://moneyinc.com/biggest-food-recalls-u-s-history/

Maybe Humans shouldn't Factory Farms Animals like we currently do.

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

No. 🤦‍♂️  I am not going to go into a long argument as to why this is wrong. But don't make comments like this knowing it will derail a topic. 

Well the Outbreaks don't consuming meat in and of itself, but not cooking it properly. And of Meat Packaging Plants Employees not washing their hands like they are suppose to.

I’m pretty strongly in favor of lab grown meats as well if we can ever do so in significant quantities. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

19 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I’m pretty strongly in favor of lab grown meats as well if we can ever do so in significant quantities. 

I did enjoy some Vegan patties at one time, but I quit due the amount of salt in them. And of course the price tag. However one of them was a Mushroom sausage patty. That did taste like meat and more enjoyable.

23 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

so saying meat is healthy is ok but saying its not is derailing the thread? lol

22 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well the Outbreaks don't consuming meat in and of itself, but not cooking it properly.

I guess you could technically say eating cooked meat doesn't lead to viruses. Its the butchering and preparing it that usually does. Like in the case of HIV, it likely came from butchering monkeys for food, and their blood infecting humans during the butchering. You could trace a significant amount of diseases to animal farms, specifically to overcrowded and unclean farming. Its not just modern factory farming too, but farming has largely be terribly unclean and a disease breeding ground for hundreds of years in many societies. You can see an example of this from what happened when Europeans first arrived to the Americas. Native americans who largely just ate wild animals and did little to no animal farming had few diseases to spread to europeans, but europeans with their terrible animal farming practices introduced deadly diseases to natives, killing countless natives.
How unhealthy mass meat consumption is is a huge reason why plant based alternatives are so important. It makes the transition away from meat a lot easier for a lot more people.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Not what I said, but sure interpret it how you like.

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Not what I said, but sure interpret it how you like.

sure, maybe you meant purely from a nutritional value point of view, but I think thats looking at things too narrowly, and obviously not the reason meat alternative are made. I wouldn't say meat is healthy to eat "just like" veggies. Veggies have significantly fewer health issues associated with it. I mean, even if you want to look at it more isolated purely on the nutrients.. well, how often do you see an obese vegetarian or vegan? If you lined up 10 staunch meat eaters and 10 vegetarians&vegans, you'd be able to tell with reasonable accuracy which eat meat and which don't based purely by their girth.

31 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I guess you could technically say eating cooked meat doesn't lead to viruses. Its the butchering and preparing it that usually does. Like in the case of HIV, it likely came from butchering monkeys for food, and their blood infecting humans during the butchering. You could trace a significant amount of diseases to animal farms, specifically to overcrowded and unclean farming. Its not just modern factory farming too, but farming has largely be terribly unclean and a disease breeding ground for hundreds of years in many societies. You can see an example of this from what happened when Europeans first arrived to the Americas. Native americans who largely just ate wild animals and did little to no animal farming had few diseases to spread to europeans, but europeans with their terrible animal farming practices introduced deadly diseases to natives, killing countless natives.
How unhealthy mass meat consumption is is a huge reason why plant based alternatives are so important. It makes the transition away from meat a lot easier for a lot more people.

He informing you on incorrect you were. Keep in Mind that European Cities were filthy back then as well.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Because you wrongfully claim meat is unhealthy, but as you later elaborate you meant our farming practises give rise to risky environments where pathogens can thrive.

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

You have to be careful with wording, because things in this sentence are wrong:

• HIV cannot be transmitted through food [WHO]
  • H1N1, doesn't spread through eating meat. It spreads from animal to human for the inital jump and person to person contact for the strain that resulted [CDC,WHO,Springer]
  • COVID19 also has nothing to do with simply eating meat. It's specifically eating exotic animals (e.g. bats) that carry these viruses.

COVID19 has all but been predicted a decade ago already:

The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored.

There's a lot that can be improved in our meat industry, but just going "meat is bad" doesn't cut it. You eat the wrong plant you die as well. Don't wash your veggies and you run the risk of ingesting e-coli or other fun stuff.

46 minutes ago, poochyena said:

well, how often do you see an obese vegetarian or vegan? If you lined up 10 staunch meat eaters and 10 vegetarians&vegans, you'd be able to tell with reasonable accuracy which eat meat and which don't based purely by their girth.

This is also very prone to the correlation vs causation problem, because vegetarians and vegans seem to be more active or health concious in the first place [NCBI]. I'm confident it'd be much harder to tell if you lined up 10 olympic athletes of each group.

Now on-topic:

I have yet to find a suitable meat substitute. Everything I've tried so far has been disappointing, so I still eat meat. I'm pretty low on its consumption if I cook myself though, once maybe twice per week, and when I do I try not to get the dollar store stuff.

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I wonder how long before this is commonplace?

It will be interesting to see where lab meat ends up. In the mean time I think it's very worth it to inform people about cooking deliciously without it instead of trying to fake it with cardboard sausages. Taking my personal history, part of the problem is the old mindset of meat+potatoes+veggies for every meal from previous generations. You can make delicious jackfruit "pulled pork", king oyster mushroom "scallops" or portobello "burgers", but if we keep associating those words with those ingredients we won't break the meat-with-everything mindset and also set the wrong expectations. Of course a mushroom won't taste like a beef burger; never will either. That doesn't mean it tastes bad.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

23 minutes ago, tikker said:

Now on-topic:

I have yet to find a suitable meat substitute. Everything I've tried so far has been disappointing, so I still eat meat. I'm pretty low on its consumption as well, once maybe twice per week, and when I do I try not to get the dollar store stuff.

It will be interesting to see where lab meat ends up. In the mean time I think it's very worth it to inform people about cooking deliciously without it instead of trying to fake it with cardboard sausages. Taking my personal history, part of the problem is the old mindset of meat+potatoes+veggies for every meal from previous generations. You can make delicious jackfruit "pulled pork", king oyster mushroom "scallops" or portobello "burgers", but if we keep associating those words with those ingredients we won't break the meat-with-everything mindset and also set the wrong expectations. Of course a mushroom won't taste like a beef burger; never will either. That doesn't mean it tastes bad.

The closest I found was a Mushroom Patty, but I forgotten the Brand and it sold at Ruler Foods Stores. They quit selling it for some reason.

This Video shows the Mycelium Slab from the company that grows it and produces MyBacon and Packaging Materials to replace Styrofoam.

I've been using mushrooms for a long time. My mother is a vegetarian, so if I do make myself a burger, I'll usually make a veggie patty out of beans or mushrooms. Fungi should be a lot closer to meat anyways due to their bio pathways. The only thing they can't replicate well is the fatty flavors found in meats like beef or veal. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

My only contribution.

This trend to make and sell meat like things is dumb, lie to yourself but please for the love of God, don't lie to me.

Healthy, sure, but environmentally sound, nope. It's a serious problem from carbon footprint to food waste to animal cruelty. Wouldn't be an issue if there weren't so darn many of us, but yeah. It's definitely not a trend, it's a necessary measure to save the planet. Having said that, there's a lot of Lab grown meat options coming up that might take over current meat production for the most part and escape nearly all the drawbacks of standard meat production. 
I can get behind your love of meat, I love it too, but I simply can't understand the vehemence you and many others seem to have towards alternates. Saying the day you have fake meat is the day you die is super extreme and makes no sense to me considering you seem to be fine with vegetables. You already eat the veggies apparently, but if I use the same veggie as a meat substitute, you're super against it all of a sudden. No one is lying, we're just trying to find another way to eat good food without destroying the planet in the process. And as a nice byproduct hopefully increase people eating veggies regularly

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

agreed

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I've been using mushrooms for a long time. My mother is a vegetarian, so if I do make myself a burger, I'll usually make a veggie patty out of beans or mushrooms. Fungi should be a lot closer to meat anyways due to their bio pathways. The only thing they can't replicate well is the fatty flavors found in meats like beef or veal. 

I read/watched somewhere online about Vegan Bacon made from dried mushrooms. But that was a long while ago.

1 hour ago, tikker said:

Because you wrongfully claim meat is unhealthy, but as you later elaborate you meant our farming practises give rise to risky environments where pathogens can thrive.

Those two things are 1:1. Unless he tells me he hunts for all his meat, then those two things are one and the same.

1 hour ago, tikker said:
  • HIV cannot be transmitted through food [WHO]
  • H1N1, doesn't spread through eating meat. It spreads from animal to human for the inital jump and person to person contact for the strain that resulted [CDC,WHO,Springer]

HIV was likely transferred to humans through the butchering process to eat the animal. H1N1 spread to humans due to the close contact pigs came with other pigs and humans' close contact with pigs. Those contacts weren't there because people just like having large amount of pet pigs.

1 hour ago, tikker said:

COVID19 has all but been predicted a decade ago already:

did.. did you not read what you quoted? "together with the culture of eating exotic mammals"

That seems to agree with me perfectly well.

1 hour ago, tikker said:

Don't wash your veggies and you run the risk of ingesting e-coli or other fun stuff.

e-coli on plants is often cause from water being contaminated with animal poop from........ farm animals! https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/08/29/642646707/investigators-track-contaminated-lettuce-outbreak-to-a-cattle-feedlot

1 hour ago, tikker said:

This is also very prone to the correlation vs causation problem, because vegetarians and vegans seem to be more active or health concious in the first place [NCBI].

I agree but it is still noteworthy. If fewer people on one diet are obese than people on another diet, an average person would generally say the diet with more skinny people is healthier. Its similar to like how you can technically be healthy eating nothing by twinkies and vitamins, but clearly people who consume lots of twinkies tend to not be healthy.

1 hour ago, tikker said:

I have yet to find a suitable meat substitute.

I think one thing a lot of companies do wrong is they try too hard to be exactly like meat, so they set up expectations to be a certain way. Like, if you pick up a can of sprite to drink, thinking you picked up the can of coke, its going to taste very weird since you were expecting to taste coke but got something else instead. I think they should advertise "better than meat" or "a unique twist to burgers". Something to indicate it will taste similar to meat, but also not mislead your expectations. I've had several fake meat or cheese products I didn't like at all in the first bite or two, but then ended up loving it by the end once I got a sense of what I was eating.
Anyways, check out the brand I mentioned earlier in the thread. Absolutely the best fake meat.

18 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I simply can't understand the vehemence you and many others seem to have towards alternates.

Same. There are plenty of reasons to avoid meat, but being pro-meat is odd to me. Some people treat it like a political identity.

All I can say about it is if I ever want to eat a fungus I'll scrape some Athlete's Foot off bottom of my feet, sprinkle some on whatever and have at it.

4 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

My only contribution.

Damn straight on that!

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

All I can say about it is if I ever want to eat a fungus I'll scrape some Athlete's Foot off bottom of my feet, sprinkle some on whatever and have at it.

Damn straight on that!

You eat bread and Mushrooms don't you? Most breads are made with Yeast, and Edible Mushrooms are widely eaten.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

Same. There are plenty of reasons to avoid meat, but being pro-meat is odd to me. Some people treat it like a political identity.

Oh please. Vegans should really speak about this. But I don't want to derail my own Thread...

I found out about Mycelium meat replacements from looking at a Website of a company working on replacing Plastics and Styrofoam:

So the same Fungi can be used for both.