Food & Cooking

whm1974

Now I just watched this on YouTube and read the Wikipedia Entry and it seems that the infamous Spartan Black Broth wasn't bad as some other Cultures that were used to Well Seasoned Meals made it out to be. It was just merely Bland...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_soup

Now the exact recipe is unknown but considering the both Yellow Onions and Garlic are easy to grow and widely available nearly everywhere, I'll really be suprised that this Staple Dish didn't include them. Along with a few Herbs as well.

What do you think? Oh the video is ~15 minutes long.

"Now I do perceive why it is that Spartan soldiers encounter death so joyfully; dead men require no longer to eat; black broth is no longer a necessity"

The line from the page on wiki gives a good laugh.

I guess it wouldnt be too bad - liquid version of pudding? I wonder how much vinegar is in there, maybe today some cookingwine would do the trick.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

2 minutes ago, Nup said:

"Now I do perceive why it is that Spartan soldiers encounter death so joyfully; dead men require no longer to eat; black broth is no longer a necessity"

The line from the page on wiki gives a good laugh.

I guess it wouldnt be too bad - liquid version of pudding? I wonder how much vinegar is in there, maybe today some cookingwine would do the trick.

Black pudding that is... Maybe they add something like Chickpeas or Lentils?

yes, black pudding is what  i had in mind.

Nice idea, thicken it up a bit and with some feet there would be lots of collagen type stuff to further give texture.

Like with all dishes i imagine a poor mans version would not be as nice as one with todays choices.

4 minutes ago, Nup said:

yes, black pudding is what  i had in mind.

Nice idea, thicken it up a bit and with some feet there would be lots of collagen type stuff to further give texture.

Like with all dishes i imagine a poor mans version would not be as nice as one with todays choices.

Well I'm sure that poor folks can afford seasoning and spices such as black pepper, garlic, onions, Chili peppers, and the like.

The Black Pepper is hardly worth more then Gold in these Modern Times.

Has anyone ever made something like this? If so how does it? I know that the Philippines has a stew named Dinuguan made from pig offal that has garlic and chili peppers added to it. But which cultures still consume something similar.

This YouTube mentions that barley flour was added to this soup as well but like said the exact recipe is unknown and probably wasn't written down since every Spartan knew how to make this Meal Staple. In all likelihood included other ingredients.

Perhaps I will make this sort of Soup although it would be likely to be closer to the Philippines Dinuguan instead anything like the Spartans were consuming.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the USA there is a very huge debate about if the stew known as Chili Con Carne, if it proper to have beans included or not... I have of course since it is actually a Native American dish that just happens to have a Spanish name...

It is hard to accept that the Native American Tribes that made the stew would not have included beans at all. Of course they would have used game meat and not beef. But the point remains.

Later after Europeans settled in the area known now as Texas... It was adapted as a Poor Mans Stew. This was a way to use "El Cheapo" cuts of Meat, AKA " Left Overs"...

BTW, Chili Con Carne is a Stew, not a Soup, and Certainly not a Sauce...

I've grown up in a very mexican/native american household and its always been a tossup

half of my family uses beans, the other does not lol, chili con carne and menudo were two of my favorite things growing up, I could sure go for some right now :/

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM750x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red | Ducky Mecha Mini | Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

Can't stand the taste or texture of them. So without for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

46 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Can't stand the taste or texture of them. So without for me.

Which beans did you used in them? Pinto Beans? Way overused if you ask me. Black Beans are indeed better... Orca beans might be. But I never tried them before, same with Anasazi beans.

https://www.southwestindian.com/p/anasazi-beans

Either way. I don't care. Take em if I have a choice, but don't care if it's without.

32 minutes ago, Caroline said:

searching on google gives you 2 recipes, one that has beans and another one without them that's called "texas original" 

never tried it though, looks like the kind of stew you'd eat to keep yourself warm on a harsh winter day

WEll it doesn't get cold in Texas aside from very rarely...

Should be with red kidney beans, but it’s not FODMAP friendly, so i don’t anymore. 

I have always made it with kidney beans, peppers and shank of beef - no idea how close that sort of taste is to the older recipes.  
What recipe do you use OP? 

1 hour ago, Nup said:

I have always made it with kidney beans, peppers and shank of beef - no idea how close that sort of taste is to the older recipes.  
What recipe do you use OP? 

Unless you count what I tried to make with Corn beef brisket and black beans... In my slow cooker... Wait I made a kind of stew when I add Pearled Barley to thicken it up...

Next time I'll go to a butcher and get the right cuts, proper seasonings, Chili peppers, Masa Flour. good beans, etc.... And go from there.

Other then the above I never made chili con carne.

14 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Should be with red kidney beans

Pinto is the "correct" bean for chilli. IIRC kidney beans are actually Indian or Pakistani in heritage whereas pintos are native to Mexico and the Southern US.

17 hours ago, whm1974 said:

since it is actually a Native American dish that just happens to have a Spanish name...

Stews bearing a similarity to chilli were definitely consumed by the Aztecs, but quite a lot of what we know as chilli today (including the use of beef) originates from the Spanish colonisation of Mexico. The heritage of chilli is largely accepted as being Mexican and they absolutely did consume beans...though whether they consumed beans in stews similar to chilli is more debatable. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

15 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Beans !!!

Ma always used kidney beans growing up.  Washed them prior to cooking with them.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

4 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Pinto is the "correct" bean for chilli. IIRC kidney beans are actually Indian or Pakistani in heritage whereas pintos are native to Mexico and the Southern US.

Stews bearing a similarity to chilli were definitely consumed by the Aztecs, but quite a lot of what we know as chilli today (including the use of beef) originates from the Spanish colonisation of Mexico. 

And Texas used to be Mexican Territory... So there?

4 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Ma always used kidney beans growing up.  Washed them prior to cooking with them.

You also have to boil them for 10 minutes too, otherwise... You will get really really sick... Same with Lima Beans.... And Fava.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

And Texas used to be Mexican Territory... So there?

Not sure I follow. The bits of Mexico inhabited by the Aztecs before the Spanish conquest are not within Texas.

Spanish Texas didn't exist until nearly two hundred years later.

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

1 minute ago, HM-2 said:

Not sure I follow. The bits of Mexico inhabited by the Aztecs before the Spanish conquest are not within Texas.

I wasn't talking about the Aztecs...🙄

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

I wasn't talking about the Aztecs...🙄

Go back and read my actual post. Chilli isn't a "native American" dish in its origin, unless you treat the Aztecs as native Americans, which technically they are- but not the kind you're talking about.

1 minute ago, HM-2 said:

Go back and read my actual post.

And I stand by what I said.... And BTW California also used to be Mexican Territory as well...