Bad fps on valorant with a good pc

Naitsabes

I have a 2070 super and a ryzen 5 3600, I have 32 gb of ram 3200mhz and experience 70-120 fps in game, I have tried all low settings and all high with the same output, I’ve tried changing all settings and all the video options (windowed etc.) and nothing works. It is extremely choppy and fluctuates frequently, sometimes even drops to 50 fps when looking around, also lags computer sometimes if alt tabbed in a certain windowed mode.

I have never seen in my life a game that doesn't massively fluctuate and somehow magically locks itself to a certain framerate ( with exception of fighting games) 

That's why Vsync was invented.  I guess many games also have the option to lock framerates without vsync, but if all fails thats the way to go. 

Iittle example: i was trying out warzone,  ran pretty ok, but no matter what there would be fluctuations from ~180fps - 110fps, most of the time creating massive screen tearing and overall a not very smooth feel.

So after playing around with settings I found out if I lock the framerate to 120fps, the tearing pretty much went away (because my screen is 60hz) and it did *not* drop to ~110 anymore... very rarely it'd drop to 118, 117fps, but not more and it didn't feel stuttery at all anymore especially cause it was 120fps straight most of the time. 

So this is a settings vs desire issue in my opinion,  do you want smooth game play or the fastest framerate possible? You can't have both, unless you have the fortune of having a working G-Sync monitor (which you probably dont, otherwise you wouldn't have this issue,  i suppose)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It seems people have the same experience as you and have seen massive increases by locking the game to 4 specific cores on the CPUOthers have reported that disabling full screen for the .exe files has made a huge difference.

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I have never seen in my life a game that doesn't massively fluctuate and somehow magically locks itself to a certain framerate ( with exception of fighting games) 

That's why Vsync was invented.  I guess many games also have the option to lock framerates without vsync, but if all fails thats the way to go. 

Iittle example: i was trying out warzone,  ran pretty ok, but no matter what there would be fluctuations from ~180fps - 110fps, most of the time creating massive screen tearing and overall a not very smooth feel.

So after playing around with settings I found out if I lock the framerate to 120fps, the tearing pretty much went away (because my screen is 60hz) and it did *not* drop to ~110 anymore... very rarely it'd drop to 118, 117fps, but not more and it didn't feel stuttery at all anymore especially cause it was 120fps straight most of the time. 

So this is a settings vs desire issue in my opinion,  do you want smooth game play or the fastest framerate possible? You can't have both, unless you have the fortune of having a working G-Sync monitor (which you probably dont, otherwise you wouldn't have this issue,  i suppose)

I have a g-sync monitor actually, seems to do nothing i suppose, I tried turning on vsync and the same result it just does not make any sense.

9 hours ago, Rameares said:

It seems people have the same experience as you and have seen massive increases by locking the game to 4 specific cores on the CPU Others have reported that disabling full screen for the .exe files has made a huge difference.

I've tried doing the optimization and it did not work, changing the cores did nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

as far as the cpu goes, in worst case scenarios in game with util spam and astra/viper walls, the 3600 should only drop you to 120fps. I think part of the issue its worse for you is the 3200mhz ram since there is a significant performance difference between 3200mhz and 3600mhz ram for ryzen 3000s. However that being said i dont think you should still be dropping to 50fps so something else may be interfering whether that be an actual hardware problem or something like programs running in the back. Also stick to full screen and dont do the disable fullscreen optimization thing like that other guy said, doesnt help in this game.

• 1 year later...
On 9/18/2021 at 7:42 PM, Naitsabes said:

I have a 2070 super and a ryzen 5 3600, I have 32 gb of ram 3200mhz and experience 70-120 fps in game, I have tried all low settings and all high with the same output, I’ve tried changing all settings and all the video options (windowed etc.) and nothing works. It is extremely choppy and fluctuates frequently, sometimes even drops to 50 fps when looking around, also lags computer sometimes if alt tabbed in a certain windowed mode.

do you have all your driver updated? Because it makes a big difference, I'd use GeForce experience to help with that. in general, it's always good to give your pc a reset and see if the problem persists. But I'd recommend cleaning up your files, checking running background processes with task manager, checking if your drivers are all up to date, make sure your storage isn't overly full and if everything fails then reset your pc.